Reclassification

w1ldcat

Pretty much, DD.

As I understand it from a couple of administrators, the plan is allegedly that 50% of the teams from each playoff classification will make the playoffs. If there is an uneven number then you get the extra "half" spot. For instance if you have 5 from one class, you get 3 slots, if that makes sense. At least that is how they understand it at this point. I haven't seen how "wild cards" will be selected. As we know in dealing with the TSSAA in past issues, however, that is all subject to change.

For what it's worth, the same administrators believe that AAA district three will look like this:

Anderson County (5A)

Campbell County (6A)

Knoxville Central (5A)

Clinton (5A)

Halls (5A)

Hardin Valley (6A)

Karns (6A)

Powell (5A)

Oak Ridge (6A)

So, if this proves true there will be 3 5A guaranteed playoffs slots and 2 guaranteed 6A slots from district three.

Like I said, everything is subject to change, but that's what is being thrown out there right now. It is all supposed to officially come out around the 14th of November.

HTV, do you think that we will see Hardin Valley placed in district 3, instead of Catholic or West? I know there won't be a final decision on that for a couple of weeks, but I was just curious to get your take.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV, do you think that we will see Hardin Valley placed in district 3, instead of Catholic or West? I know there won't be a final decision on that for a couple of weeks, but I was just curious to get your take.

As I said in my previous post, that's what I have been told by a couple of administrators. I think part of that decision is so district 3 and 4 aren't overloaded with one classification over the other. It appears that by placing Hardin Valley in district 3 and Catholic in district 4 that there will be a more even number of 5As and 6As in each district and they will keep the districts geographically balanced.

As I said in my previous post, that's what I have been told by a couple of administrators. I think part of that decision is so district 3 and 4 aren't overloaded with one classification over the other. It appears that by placing Hardin Valley in district 3 and Catholic in district 4 that there will be a more even number of 5As and 6As in each district and they will keep the districts geographically balanced.

Good point. Since those 3 teams could go in either district, I like the idea of trying to keep 5A and 6A balanced.

Personally I like the reclassification but I hate the way the playoffs are being done. Way too much unknowns with a day less of preparations for not knowing who you will play prior to Saturday. Virginia still has problems with their format and are always tweaking it. This system allows for too many teams with possible bad records to get in. TSSAA should have gone to a 4-A format with these districts, condense and get better competition, instead of spread and get more $$$. But we are talking about the T$$AA. Hopefully this BCS style playoff system will get thrown out after 2 years of the trouble it is going to cause. (brought up for review after 2 instead of waiting for the 4 for the next reclassification process)