IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

I failed to mention one another thing yesterday. As of last Friday, CCHS and GHS could have played their last games against each other on a regular basis. Going to an expanded schedule next year means 14 conference games for CCHS, plus I assume we will keep our games with GP, Pigeon Forge and Grainger which adds up to 20, plus a couple of tournaments gets us to 24 games. And we need a couple of Knoxville games, like Bearden or Heritage, like we have had each of the past 4-5 years. So I am not sure that we will have G'ville on the schedule. Since some of our athletic people read these posts, let me encourage the G'ville series to continue, even if we have to drop GP or Pigeon Forge. Both G'ville boys and girls are measuring sticks of how own team stands, that is why wins against them are such a big deal. Most of us have teams that fluctuant from year to year, G'ville has programs of consistency each year (yes, even after they lose Nicole). We need to play them. We need to play them, on a Friday night at home, if for no other reason, than a big gate on both ends, as we both travel well and a crowd will come to watch G'ville play. G'ville may not need our gate as much as we need them. We need 4-5 big gate games during the basketball year to pay our athletic bills b/c recent football at CCHS cannot pay the bills alone. I don't know about G'ville's restructured schedule if they could play us or not because, again I assume, that G'ville will want to keep the Mo West game first. I hope that we get to continue to play each other.

I will make this observation about your Friday night request...we will likely have AT LEAST 7 Friday night conference games next year. So considering that the season doesn't usually start until December, with Christmas break, you are going to have a hard time finding a Friday available. I understand you wanting to keep a natural rival on your schedule.

Jeff County already plays Sevier County and South Doyle, so that is 6 of the 7 that will be in our conference next year. Change out Seymour for Greeneville, and then the rest of the schedule stays pretty much intact. I think you will find that Seymour next year will be just as good a measuring stick as Greeneville has been.

I think the only team Greeneville currently plays that will be in thier conference next year is South Greene, so they are going to have a major reshuffling of thier schedule.

Good luck to Jeff County tonight. Cocke County spoiled our Senior Night last year, maybe we can return the favor tonight....

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will make this observation about your Friday night request...we will likely have AT LEAST 7 Friday night conference games next year. So considering that the season doesn't usually start until December, with Christmas break, you are going to have a hard time finding a Friday available. I understand you wanting to keep a natural rival on your schedule.

Jeff County already plays Sevier County and South Doyle, so that is 6 of the 7 that will be in our conference next year. Change out Seymour for Greeneville, and then the rest of the schedule stays pretty much intact. I think you will find that Seymour next year will be just as good a measuring stick as Greeneville has been.

I think the only team Greeneville currently plays that will be in thier conference next year is South Greene, so they are going to have a major reshuffling of thier schedule.

Good luck to Jeff County tonight. Cocke County spoiled our Senior Night last year, maybe we can return the favor tonight....

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Your right on about Seymour! I saw them play Friday night against Fulton. If any one didnt know Seymour has a girl on the team by the name of Christina Slay, she is the younger sister of former Tennessee standout Ron Slay. The girl is the real deal. Be looking for her to make some noise in the conference next year & by the time she is a Senior b/c she is only a Freshman she should be one of the best in the state.

But thats if she doesnt transfer after the school year. I talked to her mom during the game & she said their has been alot of issues with race & she isnt very fond of the head coach at Seymour.

Your right on about Seymour! I saw them play Friday night against Fulton. If any one didnt know Seymour has a girl on the team by the name of Christina Slay, she is the younger sister of former Tennessee standout Ron Slay. The girl is the real deal. Be looking for her to make some noise in the conference next year & by the time she is a Senior b/c she is only a Freshman she should be one of the best in the state.

But thats if she doesnt transfer after the school year. I talked to her mom during the game & she said their has been alot of issues with race & she isnt very fond of the head coach at Seymour.

/wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Isn't Andy Rines the coach there now? If so, didn't he used to do your job PTS@ the Plaintalk?????? So there's actually a chance PTS could be a coach down the road..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

In hindsight, I was really thinking more about a big crowd/gate than quality of opponent in losing G'ville. G'ville is a big game/gate for us. I don't think Seymour or South Doyle will make up that gate in basketball just b/c of distance. Seymour is already been on our schedule in football. Sevier Co, though could be another story and another natural rivalry. Still hate losing the G'ville game.

The Lady Red had another very un-inspiring performance last night. If Jeff simply makes lay-ups and free throws, this is a very different game. Very nice honor for Shannon recognizing her 1000 points. There are lots of seniors graduating who are very active at school.

After talking with PTS, I agree, there is an up-side to the G'ville-CCHS coin toss this weekend either way. If we win, we will not play from Friday until Friday and have a bye into the regional. If we lose, we still stay in our regular routine of games during the week and not be off for a whole week and West made a great run last year from the bottom spot - though the down side is you have to win. So we will see.

I'm out of town the rest of the week, so even though we have 1 more conference game tonight, I thought I would give my end of the year district awards. My opinion only. Based on only what I saw and not averages. I saw all 6 teams play at least once and West and G'ville at least 4 times. I will give each team a member though I think two out of Fanney, Ramsey, Story, Suggs, Sprouse or maybe even Shelby May lose out b/c of that decision. I will give Mo West as champs 3, CCHS and G'ville 2 and the rest 1 for a total of 10. My choices would be:

West: Hall, Goins, Smith - though I really like Fanney and May

CCHS - Depew and Buda. I thought mid-way through the year, I would not know who else to add to Depew b/c no one else stood out and team level was pretty high. Last 3 weeks, Morgan has played her best and actually, is the only one holding our team together right now.

GHS - Dickson and for much the same reasons as CCHS I am not sure who else b/c the team concept is good. I think b/c of her scoring against us in the second game, I will take Christopher, though they struggle w/o Ramsey on the floor and Story's presence and rebounding was a big difference in the two games we played against them.

Jeff - Kyle over Nelson

Cherokee - Ryans, who I really like

East - Leeper over Orick, though Leeper had very few points against us.

That is a pretty good all-star team.

Coach: Gaylon. For 2 reasons. I am one who believes you still have to coach regardless of how high the level of talent is, b/c the game is more than X and O's. Second, when Mo West had the game won against us in January with 2-3 minutes still to play. He called 2 time-outs on successive plays angrily fussing at his team for not controlling the game the way he wanted. It appeared to me that he was trying to get his team to play better and that was as important as winning a big game in January.

Wade and Crumbley have both done a very good job.

MVP. This is actually hard for me. Shannon has become a very consistent well rounded ball-player. Her mid-range jump shot is the best in our league. Her rebounding and ball-handling are very strong. She has a good basketball mind. Defense is solid. Does not have lateral quickness but is a very consistent player. Sidney Goins is very fast and very quick to the goal. Great to see her recovery from last year's injury. Always running in our games. Not a consistent outside shooter. Solid defense and good rebounder. Shannon and Goins will tie for 3rd in my mind.

2nd goes to Nicole Dickson. A very good shooter from any spot on the court. Quick release. She has especially hurt us with last second shots at the end of the quarter or half for 4 years. When she wants to, she can get every rebound. Only downside, she tends to take plays off. She has represented G'ville and the IMAC very well for 4 years. I don't know what G'ville does to recognize big time players, but she is one and they should. This is a close call in my mind - but - to the winners go the spoils.

So, my MVP is Taylor Hall. Inside - outside. Rebounds. Defense. Undefeated in our league. I don't have the experience that many of you have in watching players for years, but for me, she is as complete a high school player as I have seen.

Isn't Andy Rines the coach there now? If so, didn't he used to do your job PTS@ the Plaintalk?????? So there's actually a chance PTS could be a coach down the road..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Not a chance unless they start handing out Nick Saban type money...

In hindsight, I was really thinking more about a big crowd/gate than quality of opponent in losing G'ville. G'ville is a big game/gate for us. I don't think Seymour or South Doyle will make up that gate in basketball just b/c of distance. Seymour is already been on our schedule in football. Sevier Co, though could be another story and another natural rivalry. Still hate losing the G'ville game.

The Lady Red had another very un-inspiring performance last night. If Jeff simply makes lay-ups and free throws, this is a very different game. Very nice honor for Shannon recognizing her 1000 points. There are lots of seniors graduating who are very active at school.

After talking with PTS, I agree, there is an up-side to the G'ville-CCHS coin toss this weekend either way. If we win, we will not play from Friday until Friday and have a bye into the regional. If we lose, we still stay in our regular routine of games during the week and not be off for a whole week and West made a great run last year from the bottom spot - though the down side is you have to win. So we will see.

I'm out of town the rest of the week, so even though we have 1 more conference game tonight, I thought I would give my end of the year district awards. My opinion only. Based on only what I saw and not averages. I saw all 6 teams play at least once and West and G'ville at least 4 times. I will give each team a member though I think two out of Fanney, Ramsey, Story, Suggs, Sprouse or maybe even Shelby May lose out b/c of that decision. I will give Mo West as champs 3, CCHS and G'ville 2 and the rest 1 for a total of 10. My choices would be:

West: Hall, Goins, Smith - though I really like Fanney and May

CCHS - Depew and Buda. I thought mid-way through the year, I would not know who else to add to Depew b/c no one else stood out and team level was pretty high. Last 3 weeks, Morgan has played her best and actually, is the only one holding our team together right now.

GHS - Dickson and for much the same reasons as CCHS I am not sure who else b/c the team concept is good. I think b/c of her scoring against us in the second game, I will take Christopher, though they struggle w/o Ramsey on the floor and Story's presence and rebounding was a big difference in the two games we played against them.

Jeff - Kyle over Nelson

Cherokee - Ryans, who I really like

East - Leeper over Orick, though Leeper had very few points against us.

That is a pretty good all-star team.

Coach: Gaylon. For 2 reasons. I am one who believes you still have to coach regardless of how high the level of talent is, b/c the game is more than X and O's. Second, when Mo West had the game won against us in January with 2-3 minutes still to play. He called 2 time-outs on successive plays angrily fussing at his team for not controlling the game the way he wanted. It appeared to me that he was trying to get his team to play better and that was as important as winning a big game in January.

Wade and Crumbley have both done a very good job.

MVP. This is actually hard for me. Shannon has become a very consistent well rounded ball-player. Her mid-range jump shot is the best in our league. Her rebounding and ball-handling are very strong. She has a good basketball mind. Defense is solid. Does not have lateral quickness but is a very consistent player. Sidney Goins is very fast and very quick to the goal. Great to see her recovery from last year's injury. Always running in our games. Not a consistent outside shooter. Solid defense and good rebounder. Shannon and Goins will tie for 3rd in my mind.

2nd goes to Nicole Dickson. A very good shooter from any spot on the court. Quick release. She has especially hurt us with last second shots at the end of the quarter or half for 4 years. When she wants to, she can get every rebound. Only downside, she tends to take plays off. She has represented G'ville and the IMAC very well for 4 years. I don't know what G'ville does to recognize big time players, but she is one and they should. This is a close call in my mind - but - to the winners go the spoils.

So, my MVP is Taylor Hall. Inside - outside. Rebounds. Defense. Undefeated in our league. I don't have the experience that many of you have in watching players for years, but for me, she is as complete a high school player as I have seen.

You really need to get out to the games more. You're out of touch.......

Congrats to G'ville for Friday's game against CCHS. If you were not there, do not be deceived by an 8 point game. We were soundly and throughly beaten. If not, for some unexpected good outside shooting from the Lady Red, this would have been a 20 point loss. While I don't have a stat sheet in front of me, these are the numbers I heard. 3 assists, no baskets made and only a few attempted inside 6-7 feet and out rebounded 36-15. We were out muscled, out hustled and out played. We played with little desire. Very, very disappointing game. I posted 3 things had to happen to win: rebound and not give up second chance points - maybe half of Nicole's points were second chance points - she alone equaled our rebound total. We had to hold Nicole under 25 - she had 29. We had to make shots. On the outside we did, but didn't make anything underneath. My confidence is a bit shaken, b/c this team has played hard from game 1, but did not at all Friday. We played with the mood that we have been in. Didn't play well at Cherokee, starters until the end of the game. Didn't play well against G'ville.

Hopefully, the attention will get off the "I" and back on Wade and "the team." If ever there was some Nikki Anoiskie Senior Leadership needed, now is the time.

Don't quite agree that we are down to a one game season, yet. Remember, these seniors girls were a 1 win team as Freshmen and won the play-in game against a very good Jeff Co team - the Kyle girl's (at Carson Newman)senior season. So anything can happen. But I do totally agree, if we are facing the rubber game against G'ville, it will be a season making/breaking game - b/c we have gone on the road for the Regional 1st game the last two years and played well and lost. And it appears that the top end of District 1 is getting stronger.

I also want to say that in watching G'ville play the past 4-5 years and having seen them 4-5 times this year, I have always thought that they played hard w/o alot of emotion - almost like robots, like they expected to win and everyone to roll over. That was not the case on Friday night. They displayed lots of emotions, high fives and laughter - very much like a team. Very supportive of each other. I really like that very much. On the other hand, maybe they were too emotional and thus the lost the next night - I don't know.

To briefly shift gears, on Monday night, the Lady Red will say thank you and good bye to 3 seniors - Alex Suggs, Courtney Lewis and Kelsey Lloyd. In the 4th grade, these 3 helped win a rec league championship; in the 5th grade, with the help of Megan Cleavenger (South Greene and now Mars Hill), I don't think they lost on the 5-6 grade team at Newport Grammar; in the 6th grade, Shannon and Morgan joined forces with these 3 to have another great season on the 5th-6th grade team. In the 7th grade on the 7th-8th grade team, they lost 3 games in the County Elementary league - all 3 to M. Cleavenger's Bridgeport team. The next year at NGS, with Shannon and Morgan, they had a 21-0 season and won the County championship game by 45 points and the best games that year were the two scrimmages with Nicole and GMS. We were so strong that year, the county kicked out Newport Grammar which allowed Shannon and Morgan and Nicole Ball and Jayla Lane's 8th grade team to win the Small Middle School District and Sub-Regional championships. Alex and Courtney made the Varsity team as freshmen at the beginning of the year, and Kelsey would join them by Christmas - all became starters during the year. They won 2 games that year and have been mainstays on the Lady Red since winning 18 games each of the past two years. This week Valedictorians were announced and this year there are 3 at CCHS - Alex and Kelsey are two of them and I think Courtney will be in the Top Ten. Courtney has some desires about continuing to play basketball and Kelsey, providing her complete recovery from ACL surgery, has settled in on playing soccer which will be announced soon.

I have 2 sons on either side of Kelsey who have played sports on all levels through college. There has been a joy to be with my boys and their endeavors. But there is something very special that daddies get to share with their girls on the athletic fields. From tears of joy over winning and celebrating to tears of sadness over losing and injury; from the hours of kicking soccer balls, traveling all over East TN or just rebounding free throws; from the endless lessons of strategy and sportsmanship, to just enjoying being with your daughter on a ball field and being grateful that through sports in a difficult age and transition in her life, she allows me to be part of her life. Just the hours spent in a car driving back from a game and conversing about the game and life, is just special times. Playing ball was fun, being a parent of one who plays ball, is so much more. It has never been about wins and losses, just play hard, do your best and have fun. We may or may not make that ultimate goal of getting to M'boro, but what an incredible ride it has been for me. Thanks, sissy, for letting those bonds run deeper and for letting me in your life at such a wonderful time in your life. What a joy! A toast to Ricky Suggs and Gary Lewis who have shared these years together with me and our three girls. We three will be the emotional ones on the court tomorrow night.

However, the season is not over and it is time for our girls to show some leadership - all three of them.

Sorry for the very long post.

Good post! I was two years ahead of them in school, but I've enjoyed watching them play basketball since NGS. They've always worked hard and played together. Gonna miss watching them play for CCHS. Best of luck to all three in what they do after high school. Think Courtney is going to try and play on after high school like you said. Playin athletics is a special time, and the memories last forever know matter the outcomes on the field or court. Teach many valuable life lessons as well.

The Lady Red have been playing off for weeks now. Don't know if it's just a slump or there are issues within the team or what?? They need to pull it together this week because conference tournaments are on the way. They have a very special chance of making it to a possible sub-state appearance at least. This will probably be one of the best teams CCHS will have because these girls have been playing together for years. Hope they pull it together and make a run at it. West, GHS, and CCHS should make for a great conference tournament.