IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

"In hindsight, I was really thinking more about a big crowd/gate than quality of opponent in losing G'ville." -- ladyredfan

You are going to be surprised how good the Lady Devils will remain next year, yes, even without Nicole. I've watched them for years from rec ball on up and they play overall better basketball (especially evident in Spring AAU as Nicole playes with the Nike team) when the focus of the offense is not on one player. (Not saying that it shouldn't be...while we have Nicole, of course we should take advantage of her skills) But every time the bulk of next year's team has had cycles without her, they have had more successful seasons because they all step up and contribute, playing to their full potential, instead of deferring to the coaches' wishes on focusing the offense around one player. (this includes Crumbley, Burkey and Muhlhahn) So, you may be losing even a more quality opponent because, if you will remember, when NGS and GMS played each other the year after Nicole went on to high school, it was a much closer match-up. I hope they work something out so that we can have at least one game next year (maybe a Saturday game?) not to pad your gate but because I know it would be a good matchup for both teams which can only improve us both.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it....Depew has mono...........not good timing.......

Uh Oh...this would not be good at all It's a rough sickness and i feel bad for her because I know that she would want to be out there playing. If it's true, pretty much throws Cocke County chances of a top two finish out.

Uh Oh...this would not be good at all It's a rough sickness and i feel bad for her because I know that she would want to be out there playing. If it's true, pretty much throws Cocke County chances of a top two finish out.

I agree.......too bad..... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Your right on about Seymour! I saw them play Friday night against Fulton. If any one didnt know Seymour has a girl on the team by the name of Christina Slay, she is the younger sister of former Tennessee standout Ron Slay. The girl is the real deal. Be looking for her to make some noise in the conference next year & by the time she is a Senior b/c she is only a Freshman she should be one of the best in the state.

But thats if she doesnt transfer after the school year. I talked to her mom during the game & she said their has been alot of issues with race & she isnt very fond of the head coach at Seymour.

WRONG! There may or may not be issues of race in Seymour but NOT on this team! All of these girls except for one have grown up in this community together, including CS. Mom doesn't like any coach that coaches her kids for any amount of time. She told everyone that she was transferring her kids in 7th grade, 8th grade, before this season (she missed 2 weeks of practice because she "transferred" to a school in Nashville- by the way she never enrolled anywhere else). She isn't treated like everyone else, she is treated better. The entire offense is run through her, she has played more minutes than anyone else on the team, she has taken 50% more shots than anyone else on the team. That being said, who cares who is taking the shots as long as you are winning, and they have had a very strong season to date. I'm not sure but think their record is better than last year, while replacing their top 2 scorers and starting a freshman, soph, Junior and a first year starting senior! If she tranfers she will be missed for her performance on the court. However, we will be ok next year either way as our 3 top scorers(Slay/FR, Brown/SO, Cowan/JR), 2 top rebounders( Slay, Brown), assists (Brown, Cowan), steals (Brown, Cowan), and blocks (Slay, Brown) are all underclassmen. That's not to say we won't miss our 4 seniors Ashleigh Elliott, Monica Rogers, Tiffany Miles, and Sarah Black- they are all unbelievable competitors and great contributors to Seymour's team! They would have been a mess this year without them and they are our team captains.

Who knows how much a player will improve from their freshman year. But, there are no issues of race on the girl's basketball team, let alone "a lot of issues". As for coach Rines, he has been around the game forever, coached at just about every level expept the pros (including HS boys at Heritage, HS girls previously at Seymour, HS girls at West, college at Maryville, Rocky Top league). Try to find hardly anyone that has something negative to say about him.... Sometimes you have to consider the source.

Sorry to kidnap the thread! But, that needed to be addressed. The girls on that team are all good teammates and coach Rines is a good coach and person and has done a great job this year!

WRONG! There may or may not be issues of race in Seymour but NOT on this team! All of these girls except for one have grown up in this community together, including CS. Mom doesn't like any coach that coaches her kids for any amount of time. She told everyone that she was transferring her kids in 7th grade, 8th grade, before this season (she missed 2 weeks of practice because she "transferred" to a school in Nashville- by the way she never enrolled anywhere else). She isn't treated like everyone else, she is treated better. The entire offense is run through her, she has played more minutes than anyone else on the team, she has taken 50% more shots than anyone else on the team. That being said, who cares who is taking the shots as long as you are winning, and they have had a very strong season to date. I'm not sure but think their record is better than last year, while replacing their top 2 scorers and starting a freshman, soph, Junior and a first year starting senior! If she tranfers she will be missed for her performance on the court. However, we will be ok next year either way as our 3 top scorers(Slay/FR, Brown/SO, Cowan/JR), 2 top rebounders( Slay, Brown), assists (Brown, Cowan), steals (Brown, Cowan), and blocks (Slay, Brown) are all underclassmen. That's not to say we won't miss our 4 seniors Ashleigh Elliott, Monica Rogers, Tiffany Miles, and Sarah Black- they are all unbelievable competitors and great contributors to Seymour's team! They would have been a mess this year without them and they are our team captains.

Who knows how much a player will improve from their freshman year. But, there are no issues of race on the girl's basketball team, let alone "a lot of issues". As for coach Rines, he has been around the game forever, coached at just about every level expept the pros (including HS boys at Heritage, HS girls previously at Seymour, HS girls at West, college at Maryville, Rocky Top league). Try to find hardly anyone that has something negative to say about him.... Sometimes you have to consider the source.

Sorry to kidnap the thread! But, that needed to be addressed. The girls on that team are all good teammates and coach Rines is a good coach and person and has done a great job this year!

Im not going to argue with anything you just said because i dont know enough about Seymours team or Christinas mother to know if she is reliable on what she says. But that is what was told to me by her, but i do know she has threatned to transfer Slay a few times & hasnt happened yet so mayber its another one of those scenarios. but thanks for the post & info. Ill be over there Monday night for the game against Alcoa & at the game against Grainger.

Greeneville is the 2

Cocke County is the 3

East is the 5

Cherokee is the 6

Wednesday Feb 18

#4 Jefferson County vs. #5 Morristown East 6 PM

#3 Cocke County vs. #6 Cherokee 7:30 PM

Friday, Feb 20

#2 Greeneville vs. Cocke County/Cherokee 6 PM

#1 Morristown West vs. Jefferson County/Morristown East 7:30 PM

Monday, Feb 23

Consolation 6 PM

Championship 7:30 PM

Greeneville is the 2

Cocke County is the 3

East is the 5

Cherokee is the 6

Wednesday Feb 18

Friday, Feb 20

Monday, Feb 23

Consolation 6 PM

PT Sportswriter, the regular season has finished and it has been with notice that 7AAA fans have watched your site and admired its content and fine posters you have had in explaining your great District. WE hope that the results of your District showed the attendance 7AAA had this year. We admire your work and while we had numerous situations that pushed some buttons of our fans, we always discovered that the welfare of High School Girs Basketball was at the forefront of anything posted. You beat us again in replies but not by much and we hope to see you at State. PHargis

Only a few games left in the regular season. Some schedule notes...Jefferson County girls did not play Carter on Feb. 13. They played North Greene on Feb. 12. Likewise, Jeff Co. boys played Carter on the 13th, and did not play North Greene on the 12th. So that clears up the confusion there.

On Monday (Feb. 16) both Cherokee teams will host West Greene, and both Morristown East squads will face Gatlinburg-Pittman on the road to conclude the regular season.

Greeneville is the 2

Cocke County is the 3

East is the 5

Cherokee is the 6

Wednesday Feb 18

Friday, Feb 20

Monday, Feb 23

Consolation 6 PM

I just realized, that had Cherokee won the coin flip, they would have faced Jeff County in the opening round for the third consecutive year.