HERITAGE MOUNTAINEERS FOOTBALL

scoot91

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heritage isn't the easiest place to win. Tough culture to overcome. There are some good players there and hard workers, but it takes more than a few. It's tough to win in that football region unless you have a fair amount of speed.

There is no easy fix there. I think Rewis did a pretty good job. They just had to play a lot of teams who were bigger and faster. I hope they can get it going a little bit. Lot of good people there.

Easiest fix for Heritage is to get a coach who can keep Heritage players at Heritage, and recruit some players out of Blount County and surounding counties like Maryville and Alcoa do. Until Maryville and Alcoa stop allowing transfers into their schools from outside of their established school zones, Heritage will never reach it's football potential. Here is the proof. Meadows was succesful at Alcoa because he could take advantage of Alcoa's open school zone policy. He knew how to play the game in Blount County. When he went to William Blount he knew the advantages that Maryville and Alcoa had and worked hard to keep his players there and influence players to move into the William Blount school zone. Players matter more than coaches. IF YOU AIN'T CHEATIN,YOU AIN'T TRIN !

Easiest fix for Heritage is to get a coach who can keep Heritage players at Heritage, and recruit some players out of Blount County and surounding counties like Maryville and Alcoa do. Until Maryville and Alcoa stop allowing transfers into their schools from outside of their established school zones, Heritage will never reach it's football potential. Here is the proof. Meadows was succesful at Alcoa because he could take advantage of Alcoa's open school zone policy. He knew how to play the game in Blount County. When he went to William Blount he knew the advantages that Maryville and Alcoa had and worked hard to keep his players there and influence players to move into the William Blount school zone. Players matter more than coaches. IF YOU AIN'T CHEATIN,YOU AIN'T TRIN !

clawball you are exactly right everyone that cheats gives their team a better chance to win.

No matter the coach they get, that person will have to connect with the kids and get the athletes out of the hall ways and on to the football field. There are so many kids in that school that can play the game but have chose not to for many different reasons. The new guy will have to get that fixed before he starts trying to recruit. He will also have to get into the middle schools that feed Heritage and keep the kids intrested in the High School football program. It's going to be a tough task for whoever it is.

For whatever reason, Heritage seems to be one of those schools that just doesn't win. Maryville gets all the talent in that county and the other two schools seem to get the scraps. No offense to the Mountaineers but Rewis had a good coaching record before going to Maryville five years ago (?). If a solid coach like him could not get the job done maybe it can't be done? If you don't have the jimmy's and the joe's, well you know the old saying.

For whatever reason, Heritage seems to be one of those schools that just doesn't win. Maryville gets all the talent in that county and the other two schools seem to get the scraps. No offense to the Mountaineers but Rewis had a good coaching record before going to Maryville five years ago (?). If a solid coach like him could not get the job done maybe it can't be done? If you don't have the jimmy's and the joe's, well you know the old saying.

Heritage has had success in the past with similar talent. Never the biggest or fastest but still pretty good teams. Late 80's had playoff teams, mid to late 90's had playoff teams. Those teams were coached by Earl McMahan 80's and Danny Wilson 90's. Heritage has some very good young talent on that team but need a few more kids in place. Like I said before the new coach will have to start in the school to get the kids wanting to play football again. To many kids dont play because of the lack of success over the past few years. Heritage can win again, how soon, I don't know?

How bout a hometown boy with Head Coaching Experience for the job......Jon McBrayer. Did as good as a man can at Union County. I think bringing in a guy with hometown roots might be the answer for this program.

Jon McBrayer is not the answer for Heritage. I heard from former players that while he was an assistant at Heritage under Wilson he was not well liked, and the players felt like he did not know what he was talking about. His only experience is at Union County where he had a dismal record. I am not sure he would be the right fit.

The new coach at Heritage is going to have to built speed, a sense of community, discipline, keep players from Maryville & Alcoa, get players out of the hallways, and build a winning attitude. It will be hard to find the right person for the job that wants the job. Good luck to Heritage on the search. It seems like they are a school that could have success (5-5, 6-4 seasons) with the right coach. I hope the Heritage program is built up and becomes competitive.

So if I may ask a couple of questions... If I were the parent of a decently athletically talented kid and I was looking for a school where he might have the chance to be coached and molded into a better athlete as well as get more exposure for himself where should I send him? Or should I just sit back and wait for the phone to ring?

I know Flip Pearson ... he could be a good fit for HHS. I know Mike White as well and he would be perfect for the job but why would you make a move like that. I just do not see it.

So if I may ask a couple of questions... If I were the parent of a decently athletically talented kid and I was looking for a school where he might have the chance to be coached and molded into a better athlete as well as get more exposure for himself where should I send him? Or should I just sit back and wait for the phone to ring?

This question seems to smell of fish bait. Are you really wanting to know or are you just stirring the pot?

Best of luck finding a new coach. We have been blessed to have Coach Courtney for all these years he is really one of the good people around high school football he is truly players first. If i had to suggest anything for the search find a coach will you believe to mold your players into fine young men and you will be surpirsed how that will carry over to the football field. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

P.S.

If always open for an Offensive Cord. Position just putting the word out there. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />