MCMINN BEATS DOBYNS BENNETT!

ArtVandalay

Interesting stat.....

Win / loss record for teams DB has played in 2008 is 46 / 54

Win / loss record for teams McMinn has played in 2008 is 55 / 44 (Ooltewah only played 9 games)

Common opponent was OR.....DB defeated them 28-13.....McMinn defeated them 24-21

At one point McMinn had played the #1 team in 5A (Farragut), #3 in 5A (Ooltewah), #3 in 4A (Rhea County), #7 in 4A Cleveland

GO TRIBE!!!!

Interesting stat.....

Win / loss record for teams DB has played in 2008 is 46 / 54

Win / loss record for teams McMinn has played in 2008 is 55 / 44 (Ooltewah only played 9 games)

Common opponent was OR.....DB defeated them 28-13.....McMinn defeated them 24-21

At one point McMinn had played the #1 team in 5A (Farragut), #3 in 5A (Ooltewah), #3 in 4A (Rhea County), #7 in 4A Cleveland

GO TRIBE!!!!

I hope that DB can fit in nicely with Farragut and Ooltewah in the only stats that matter, "W" vs McMinn.Roll Tribe!!

I'd like give a shout out to our very good offensive line.#60 Fuller,61 Carter,65 Bateman,#67Church,#68 Thompkins and #71 Hansen.Without these guys nothing is posible.Roll Tribe

From article on tricitiessports.com:

Indians Begin Playoff Run vs. McMinn County Friday

By Ron Bliss

TriCitiesSports.com

November 5, 2008

Dobyns-Bennett has a reputation, rightly or wrongly earned, for having great season and then fizzling in the playoffs.

A few years back (2001), the Indians came into their first-round playoff game with a 10-0 record and ranked No. 1 in the state. The same thing happened in 2006. The Indians also lost their playoff opener in 1990 to Morristown West after a 10-0 regular season.

D-B also had home field last year after finishing second in the Big East and lost to William Blount at home in a first-round game.

So it is a pretty good assumption that coach Graham Clark has given his team a history lesson this week as it goes into Friday's first-round playoff game with McMinn County -- again unbeaten in regular season (10-0) and ranked No. 1 in the state (by the Associated Press).

"They are a good football team,'' said Clark of the Cherokees, who come in 6-4 and went 4-3 in their conference, losing only to Ooltewah (31-14), Knox Farragut (28-10) and Soddy Daisy (21-10, all on the road.

They won over a Rhea County team that finished 8-2 (49-32), William Blount (13-7), Heritage (23-8) and Bradley Central (24-21) and that got them the No. 4 seed for the playoffs. What's more important, McMinn County comes in on a roll. It has won three straight and five of six after starting off the season 1-3.

"They play hard,'' said Clark, whose team has recorded six unbeaten regular seasons, while the schools now has 21. "They are extremely aggressive on defense. Their two defensive tackles are really good and they have good secondary folks. One of their defensive backs (Tevin McDermott) had 17 tackles against Bradley Central.

"On offense, they sling it around pretty good. They have an excellent kicking game, also, with a punter who -- if they get it on the 20 and get just one first down -- can kick it so you are starting out at your own 30 or worse.

"They have a big ol' quarterback who stands in the pocket and makes things happen.''

That quarterback is Cy Ables, who is 6-5, 200 and a junior. He has completed a whopping 68 percent of his passes (123 of 181) for 1,371 yards. McDermott is the leader with 41 catches for 452 yards and 2 TDs. Travis Smith has caught 35 for 439 yards and 2 TDs and Josh Simpson 32 for 341 yards and 4 TDs. This will easily be the best passing attack the Indians have faced this year.

The Cherokees can also hurt you on the ground with Delano Ellison, who has rushed for 746 yards on 170 carries and 7 TDs.

On defense, DE Phillip Wilburn has recorded 10 sacks.

D-B is 2-0 all time against McMinn County, having won in 1956, 33-6, and in a second-round game in 2003, 31-6. Both of those games were played a J. Fred Johnson Stadium.

D-B expects to get Ashlon Adams back after he sat out last week with a mild case of mono. He could have played last week against Science Hill, but was held out as a precaution. His absence was obvious as Science Hill was able to stack up and slow down the run while holding the Indians to just 10 points in a 10-6 win. That was the Indians' lowest point total of the season.

"We really missed him,'' said Clark of his tight end who has a team-best 659 yards receiving on 34 catches, 7 of them for TDs. At 6-5, 208, he is a tough cover.

Jamie Crawford has turned in passing numbers similar to Ables. He has thrown for 1,223 yards and 11 TDs with four interceptions while completing 79 of 118 attempts.

Chris Sensabaugh leads the rushing attack with 1,098 yards rushing on 157 carries -- an average of 7.0 per carry. He has scored 9 TDs. Crawford has 459 yards rushing to go with his passing totals for nearly 1,700 yards total offense.

D-B also has a good kicking game with place-kicker Craig Mitcham hitting 3 of 4 field goals and 35 of 38 extra points, while punter Joe Doran averages nearly 35 yards a punt.

Place-kicker Stephen Stansell has hit 8 of 11 field goal tries to lead the Knoxville area in place-kicking. He has also hit all of his extra-point tries. He also averages 41.02 per punt and had 27 touchbacks on kickoffs.

Defensively, D-B is allowing just 9.9 points per game and 201.2 yards per game total offense.

D-B goes in a 13-point favorite. This is one of 16 first-round Class 5A games in the state. In others, Campbell County (5-5) is at Ooltewah (8-1); Soddy-Daisy (7-3) is at Knox Bearden (8-2); Science Hill (7-3) is at Knox Farragut (9-1); Warren County (4-6) plays at Oakland (9-1); Siegel (5-5) is at Cookeville (7-3); Franklin County (3-7) plays at Smyrna (6-4) and Wilson Central (7-3) is at Lincoln County (7-3) in upper bracket games.

In lower bracket games, Collierville (6-4) is at Millington (10-0); Ridgeway (7-3) is at White Station (7-3); Germantown (8-2) plays at Cordova (8-2); Craigmont (6-4) is at Whitehaven (9-1); Ravenwood (8-4) plays at Hendersonville (9-1); Hunters Lane (8-2) is at Franklin (9-1); Centennial (7-3) is at Gallatin (8-2); and Antioch (5-5) is at Brentwood (9-1).

For those who can't get to it, it will be carried on radio by WKPT-AM (1400) and FM (94.3) with Don Spivey, Fred Walton and Jim Sipe; and by WGOC-AM (1320) with Thom Throp, Linc Jarvis and Todd Freeman, which will also carry it on the internet.

Here is the McMinn County game-by-game:

Fri Aug. 28 Walker Valley W 17-7

Fri Sep. 5 at Ooltewah R L 14-31

Fri Sep. 12 at Cleveland L 0-21

Fri Sep. 19 at Farragut R L 10-28

Fri Sep. 26 Rhea Co. W 49-32

Fri Oct. 3 Oak Ridge R W 24-21

Fri Oct. 10 at Soddy Daisy R L 10-21

Fri Oct. 17 at William Blount R W 13-7

Thu Oct. 23 Heritage R W 23-8

Fri Oct. 31 Bradley Central R W 24-21

Fri Nov. 7 at Dobyns-Bennett 5A Playoffs

Probable Starting Lineups

DOBYNS-BENNETT INDIANS (10-0, 6-0)

OFFENSE

WR -- 28 Joe Doran, 6-4, 185 Sr..

WR -- 3 Derrick Steele, 5-6, 140 So.

LT -- 68 Andrew Tompkins, 6-2 255 Sr.

LG -- 66 Zack Fleming, 6-1, 225 Sr.

C -- 67 Ryan Church, 6-1 225 Sr.

RG -- 71 Patrick Hansen, 6-2 250 Jr.

RT -- 65 Will Bateman, 5-11, 215 Sr.

QB -- 10 Jamie Crawford, 6-2, 185 Sr.

FB -- 45 Jordan Lawson, 6-1, 190 Sr.

RB -- 32 Chris Sensabaugh, 5-11, 185 So.

TE -- 25 Ashlon Adams, 6-5, 208 Sr.

PK -- 16 Craig Mitcham, 5-9, 170 Sr.

DEFENSE

DE. -- 61 Craig Carter, 6-0, 200 Sr.

NT -- 77 Sammy Collins, 6-0, 283 Sr.

DE -- 65 Will Bateman, 5-11, 215 Sr.

LB -- 66 Zack Fleming, 6-1, 225 Sr.

LB -- 18 Jordan Edwards, 6-7, 220 Sr.

LB -- 9 James Templeton, 6-2, 210 Sr.

D -- 40 Devon Sylvester, 6-1, 165 Jr.

D -- 47 Jason Michael, 5-11, 165 Jr.

CB -- 3 Derrick Steele, 5-6, 140 So.

CB -- 1 Wesley Anderson, 5-8, 145 Sr.

FS -- 2 Justin Sylvester, 5-11, 165 Sr.

P -- 28 Joe Doran, 6-4, 175 Sr.

MCMINN COUNTY CHEROKEES (6-4, 4-3)

OFFENSE

LT - 69 Zack Baker, 5-10, 258 Jr.

LG - 76 Nathan Carroll, 6-0, 223 Sr.

C - 79 Ken Starr, 6-2, 235 So.

RG - 67 Justin Arnwine, 6-0, 276 Jr.

RT - 63 Conner Vestal, 6-1, 266 Jr.

WR - 6 Josh Simpson, 5-8, 155 Sr.

WR - 17 Desmond McBee, 5-11, 146 So.

SB - 11 Tevin McDermott, 6-1, 185 Jr.

SB - 7 Drew Masingale, 6-1, 170 So.

QB - 10 Cy Ables, 6-5, 200 Jr.

RB - 34 Delano Ellison, 5-8, 176 Sr.

PK -- 16 Stephen Stansell, 5-10, 165 Sr.

DEFENSE

DE - 35 Phillip Wilburn, 6-1, 185 Sr.

DT - 54 Brandon Jenkins, 6-2, 265 Jr.

DT - 77 Chase Wilson, 6-0, 243 Sr.

DE - 53 Noble Williams, 5-11, 232 Jr.

SLB - 9 Kris Harris, 5-10, 220 Jr.

MLB - 55 Andy Singleton, 5-9, 192 Sr.

WLB - 7 Drew Masingale, 6-1, 170 So.

CB - 2 Case Roberts, 5-8, 163 Sr.

FS - 11 Tevin McDermott, 6-1, 185 Jr.

FS - 24 Travis Smith, 5-11, 185 Jr.

CB - 6 Josh Simpson, 5-8, 155 Sr.

P -- Stephen Stansell, 5-10, 165 Sr.

Playing Sensabaugh & Crawford on defense is a must to advance in the playoffs this year. Just look at Smyrna from the last couple years. Rod Wilkes and their QB never came off the field. Before that, the Johnson kid who is now at UT with Wilkes, which are brothers, never came off the field. You have to play your best players all game. We can't have a let down on any one play. We need experience. #15,#22 and #20 should not be expected to make big plays because they won't,nor will #1. No disrespect but we need the skill and experience.It would'nt hurt to have #25 in either. Here is my defense back package. Steele and Sylvester at corners,Sensabaugh and Adams at dogs{either could blitz) and Crawford at safety. How tough would that be to get past?

Right now,most of the people in Kingsport that I've talked to are just mad about what they have seen.The fans here are not overlooking anybody,they just think our offensive mind set is putting water in our gas tanks.They know that our defense will get exposed for a couple of reasons, the offense is one and a couple of player adjustments could be the other , unless the offense starts scoring 40 plus points.That's what I'm hearing from everyone that I talk to.That's why you play the games

The DB Meltdown Express overlooking anyone at playoffs? Now thats funny!

So, is it lack of concentration or coaching?

Playing Sensabaugh & Crawford on defense is a must to advance in the playoffs this year. Just look at Smyrna from the last couple years. Rod Wilkes and their QB never came off the field. Before that, the Johnson kid who is now at UT with Wilkes, which are brothers, never came off the field. You have to play your best players all game. We can't have a let down on any one play. We need experience. #15,#22 and #20 should not be expected to make big plays because they won't,nor will #1. No disrespect but we need the skill and experience.It would'nt hurt to have #25 in either. Here is my defense back package. Steele and Sylvester at corners,Sensabaugh and Adams at dogs{either could blitz) and Crawford at safety. How tough would that be to get past?

A good package but I would have to say that #'s 15,22,and 20 have made some nice plays this year.I wouldn't take #47 out because of run support.My own starting line up is no disrespect to all the great players that have been on the field this year,just putting the best in my own opinon to advance.

A good package but I would have to say that #'s 15,22,and 20 have made some nice plays this year.I wouldn't take #47 out because of run support.My own starting line up is no disrespect to all the great players that have been on the field this year,just putting the best in my own opinon to advance.

I agree, #47 SHOULD STAY ON THE FIELD. As far as the others: #20 is always out of position. He was out of position the night he recovered the fumble against CC, likewise he was out of position against OR when he was burnt on the pass play. He has some speed,but needs to know where to be and maybe he has a couple int's.#15 is a little better and #22 about the same. We need to play #52 AND #77 at the same time on the d-line. I hope the o-line blocks this week and i wish GC would teach our QB'S to audible out of bad situations.Also, just imagine what #18 could do if he had the determination of #32. You talk about a D1 prospect.Wow.

The DB Meltdown Express overlooking anyone at playoffs? Now thats funny!

So, is it lack of concentration or coaching?

Yes,we overlooked your Vikings and next year maybe your Rebels.

I agree, #47 SHOULD STAY ON THE FIELD. As far as the others: #20 is always out of position. He was out of position the night he recovered the fumble against CC, likewise he was out of position against OR when he was burnt on the pass play. He has some speed,but needs to know where to be and maybe he has a couple int's.#15 is a little better and #22 about the same. We need to play #52 AND #77 at the same time on the d-line. I hope the o-line blocks this week and i wish GC would teach our QB'S to audible out of bad situations.Also, just imagine what #18 could do if he had the determination of #32. You talk about a D1 prospect.Wow.

Yes,we overlooked your Vikings and next year maybe your Rebels.

Overlooked with a great big "W"

GC doesnt give the QB the option to audible, GC has to relay those goofy hand signals to change the play in which case would almost certainly cause a delay of game penalty. Best scenario if its a very important 3rd down and they throw something different at us CALL A TIMEOUT! Hope we are ready to play, because i really want to see us play faragut again or even SH for that matter.

GC doesnt give the QB the option to audible, GC has to relay those goofy hand signals to change the play in which case would almost certainly cause a delay of game penalty. Best scenario if its a very important 3rd down and they throw something different at us CALL A TIMEOUT! Hope we are ready to play, because i really want to see us play faragut again or even SH for that matter.

I remember the colts trying to audible against the Steelers a few years ago,and they would just switch their defense at the last moment.I think GC is just taking the guessing part out of it.I'll take an ugly win like last week anytime,but it would be better to enjoy the band at half time and watch every kid get a chance to get on the field during the second half.