Satisfied with Sequoyah Football this year?

Football is about fundamentals and not about formations or offense.

Just passing through this thread, but I would give you an "Amen" on this statement. I played 14 years and coached 10 years. IMHO, formations and schemes should be adapted for the personnel on the team. In college and pro you can recruit and draft personnel that fit your scheme. In high school you basically have to play with what you have; therefore, you will have to make changes over the years in your scheme based on personnel.

We (coaches and fans) sometimes complicate things too much. Football is basically blocking, tackling, ball security, minimizing mistakes, and playing with a passion.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the double wing that Georgia Tech runs is the same basis for what Sequoyah has run lately and it is called the Spread Option. Paul Johnson's exact words to me is that is nothing more than a variation of the Wishbone. It is absolutely nothing like th Wing T in his mind and since he has had more success at the college level than most with it, I would be inclined to call it the Spread Option formation. It is not the Wing-T by any stretch of the imagination. It is the Spread Option. Either way it really doesn't matter what you call it the fact is it will work as well as the I, Spread, Split Back or Gun if you work at it and coach it well. Football is about fundamentals and not about formations or offense. If you have fundamentals and strength and execute you will win. Ask George Quarrells his opinion and he will tellyou the same.

Your post is very accurate. These two offenses are very different. It is a variation of the wishbone, but with its spread formation it makes it much more dynamic. The main linking still being the triple option. This is a very tuff offense to defend because of all its versatilaty. Much easier to throw the ball out of this formation than the bone because you actually always have 4 recievers spread out. Also when using the deep motion this offense can be very much like running the I formation. Also like the wishbone this offense is neutral. Which is to say by alinement you are not strong to either side. What you can run right you can also run left without tipping off the Defense. I also agree this offense is not the wing-T by any stretch of the imagination. I watched Georgia Tech a couple of times this year. It is a thing of beauty watching them run this Offense. They had over 400 yards rushing against Georgia, I bet you would be hard pressed to find the last time a team ran the ball all over the Bulldogs like that.

I could say something like our offense was pretty much comprised of some option, traps, counters and sweeps and you will find a problem with that. You know we could talk all day about how the Wing T and double wing are similar as well as how they difer. We could also write a book about how we could defend each as well as how we could block each of these, bottom line is you have no respect for me and would only make a lackluster attempt to make me look bad. Which I admit you are trying, failing but giving good effort and that goes a long way, keep your chin up. Anybody with even a slight football knowledge knows these formations are not that different, it's not like I called it the spread. I am begining to see more clearly why we had limited success before this season, pride and stubbornness led to no improvement. Could you admit this team was better coached this season than last.

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but it is important for everyone to see just how limited you are, your argument has no substance. One may ask why do you do that? It is because you have no basis as to which defend your comments. No you can't talk about the wingT and the double wing being similar all day. Not going to happen. Why don't you share some of those all day similarities with us I ask AGAIN??? We are waiting!!!!!! You and you alone have destroyed any credibility you may have ever wanted and aspired for from this board It is also evident that you see very little clearly because of your vendetta. Stubbornness and pride led to no improvement, again that is absurd. It sounds pretty but again has no basis for truth or argument. The coaches worked hard in a difficult situation, but to answer your question, offensively no they weren't, not because of the coaches themselves but because they(the coaches) were not familiar with the scheme. Defensively they got better but should have with all the seniors coming back but still they got better. That team with any luck goes 8-2 with no luck, 7-3 ,goes to the playoffs, at worse third seed. Just look what Rhea County did they play 4-A finished second in there region and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. In the spring the Chiefs played toe to toe with them. Was this the fault of the coaching? No it falls more in the laps of a board member, school superintendent, a few no it alls that have got to feel like big shots and stick there nose into it that cheated these kids and community. The kids know this and will never forget what a few did to them and this community and I can't blame them. Things will never change in Monroe County until decisions are made for the right reasons instead of political wants and whims of a few that in this case don't even attend games.

$$

You are definitely a very bitter individual, you need to let that stuff that happened last season go, the team has moved on and it would be best if you did the same. I was refering to Kince as the backup there genius, I mean he was the one that did finish the season, so he was the one I threw into the mix. I agree Fritts has the most potential and I would like to see him on the field, however I didn't see him toward the end of the season so I assumed he quit and when one quits it is not easy to talk him up alot for next season, as much as I would like to see him play, he has to want it himself. I hope you didn't spend alot of money on those "coaching clinics".

Slober i'm still here for you,when you want to know the truth.Now i know your venting,and this is a way for u to do that,by trying to get on another subject,like the wing t.And i know what happenend you got mixed up a little and ur thinking about polk,stuff like that happens,i forgive you.With all that knowledge in your head,i can see why you get mixed up sometimes.I've seen u coach,and i bet if U.T.would have seen u,you would have gotten that job.What you need to do is write stuff out before you post and then type it out,then those mistakes want be made.You guys need to quit picking on him,hes on the brink about playing time issues.Thats why he has a brokein heart,and has to blame someone,thats the easiest way out.If you need me i'm here for you,and i mean that.

1-800-get-help just in case you forgot.

$$

You are definitely a very bitter individual, you need to let that stuff that happened last season go, the team has moved on and it would be best if you did the same. I was refering to Kince as the backup there genius, I mean he was the one that did finish the season, so he was the one I threw into the mix. I agree Fritts has the most potential and I would like to see him on the field, however I didn't see him toward the end of the season so I assumed he quit and when one quits it is not easy to talk him up alot for next season, as much as I would like to see him play, he has to want it himself. I hope you didn't spend alot of money on those "coaching clinics".

Slober i'm still here for you,when you want to know the truth.Now i know your venting,and this is a way for u to do that,by trying to get on another subject,like the wing t.And i know what happenend you got mixed up a little and ur thinking about polk,stuff like that happens,i forgive you.With all that knowledge in your head,i can see why you get mixed up sometimes.I've seen u coach,and i bet if U.T.would have seen u,you would have gotten that job.What you need to do is write stuff out before you post and then type it out,then those mistakes want be made.You guys need to quit picking on him,hes on the brink about playing time issues.Thats why he has a brokein heart,and has to blame someone,thats the easiest way out.If you need me i'm here for you,and i mean that.

1-800-get-help just in case you forgot.

I just want to make things clear between me and you right now, I didn't pick All-County so you need to take that up with somebody else.

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but it is important for everyone to see just how limited you are, your argument has no substance. One may ask why do you do that? It is because you have no basis as to which defend your comments. No you can't talk about the wingT and the double wing being similar all day. Not going to happen. Why don't you share some of those all day similarities with us I ask AGAIN??? We are waiting!!!!!! You and you alone have destroyed any credibility you may have ever wanted and aspired for from this board It is also evident that you see very little clearly because of your vendetta. Stubbornness and pride led to no improvement, again that is absurd. It sounds pretty but again has no basis for truth or argument. The coaches worked hard in a difficult situation, but to answer your question, offensively no they weren't, not because of the coaches themselves but because they(the coaches) were not familiar with the scheme. Defensively they got better but should have with all the seniors coming back but still they got better. That team with any luck goes 8-2 with no luck, 7-3 ,goes to the playoffs, at worse third seed. Just look what Rhea County did they play 4-A finished second in there region and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. In the spring the Chiefs played toe to toe with them. Was this the fault of the coaching? No it falls more in the laps of a board member, school superintendent, a few no it alls that have got to feel like big shots and stick there nose into it that cheated these kids and community. The kids know this and will never forget what a few did to them and this community and I can't blame them. Things will never change in Monroe County until decisions are made for the right reasons instead of political wants and whims of a few that in this case don't even attend games.

What the few did was save this program and for that I am grateful. As far as the Wing T and Double wing go if a person can't see the similarities then no wonder we didn't improve for 3 straight years. It is evident it would not matter what I said about that it would not please you. So I ask this, WHY BOTHER? Why would I want to impress a man whose opinion I could care less about, a man who I have done seen his results on the field, or attempts at something on the field. What was the record while you were helping 5-25 or something like that.

I just want to make things clear between me and you right now, I didn't pick All-County so you need to take that up with somebody else.

I'm very proud of all the young men who made all county and all region,i think they deserve it.But what makes me proud of my son ,is the heart he had to be a 3 year starter on the off.line and never missed a game.[30 STARTS]out of 30 games.And under the new staff he played twice as much def.You see heart got him on the feild,without heart he would have been standing on the sidelines watching.

What the few did was save this program and for that I am grateful. As far as the Wing T and Double wing go if a person can't see the similarities then no wonder we didn't improve for 3 straight years. It is evident it would not matter what I said about that it would not please you. So I ask this, WHY BOTHER? Why would I want to impress a man whose opinion I could care less about, a man who I have done seen his results on the field, or attempts at something on the field. What was the record while you were helping 5-25 or something like that.

I said they did a okay job in a difficult situation. What people have said on here is there is NO similarities between the wingT and the double wing. I still ask you to explain it for EVERYONE this is what,,,, my fourth request. Why bother??????? It might just keep you from looking ignorant to the rest on here. The more you evade the question the more you show how little you know about the game. Yet you want to be critical of others,all the while proving your lack of knowledge for the game and willing to also hide behind a computer. Thats a real man for ya. What is the reason for staying hidden now? You support the current staff. No one around to cause you any repercussions. It appears you have no guts to come out of the closet. Sorry your kid did not rise to your expectations. Continue to blame others for his failures and see how much that helps him. Hard work and dedication will replace a lot of excuses.

I said they did a okay job in a difficult situation. What people have said on here is there is NO similarities between the wingT and the double wing. I still ask you to explain it for EVERYONE this is what,,,, my fourth request. Why bother??????? It might just keep you from looking ignorant to the rest on here. The more you evade the question the more you show how little you know about the game. Yet you want to be critical of others,all the while proving your lack of knowledge for the game and willing to also hide behind a computer. Thats a real man for ya. What is the reason for staying hidden now? You support the current staff. No one around to cause you any repercussions. It appears you have no guts to come out of the closet. Sorry your kid did not rise to your expectations. Continue to blame others for his failures and see how much that helps him. Hard work and dedication will replace a lot of excuses.

Easy big fellow between the temper and the cheeseburgers that could create problems. To say there are no similarities between the wing t and double wing is the real ignorance. I mean come on nothing would be good enough for you, to look ignorant to you that is the least of my concerns. As far as your request goes I am not answering, for reasons that I have already mentioned and if you don't know the similarities of these two offenses then you will never know.

Easy big fellow between the temper and the cheeseburgers that could create problems. To say there are no similarities between the wing t and double wing is the real ignorance. I mean come on nothing would be good enough for you, to look ignorant to you that is the least of my concerns. As far as your request goes I am not answering, for reasons that I have already mentioned and if you don't know the similarities of these two offenses then you will never know.

You honestly think I am mad??????? I cant stop laughing at what a fool you are making of yourself. I really thought you were at least smarter than this. It is clear to EVERYONE why you want answer,, stupid is stupid does. Remember denial will only make your inferiority complex worsen. Again why want you answer??? LOL You skipped the part about why now you want step out from behind your skirt, I mean computer and man up on who you are????? I know everyone is probably tired of this but man it is just to comical to let go,, sorry guys, just having a little fun.....well more accurately a lot of fun /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

With Loudon/Seqoyah renewing their series next year, and the many friends I have in the Madisonville/Vonore area, I often use these boards to keep up w/ the program. However, I cannot figure out why there is always some sort of personal vendetta being carried out. The name of this thread is "Satisfied with Sequoyah Football?", but bickering is all there is. I would like to be able to just keep up with the program, but one has to fish thru 8 pages of personal attacks before finding any real info on the team. Ridiculous and childish. Adults should act better.

We have no middle school teams. So how has that hurt the LL? The only thing that has hurt the LL is the LL its self. Both of these LL programs are always down toward the bottom in total wins in thier league. Sure there might be a team here and there that will be a little better than .500, but thats about it.

We at Greenback can relate to the pain you feel being in the middle-bottom of pack with the occassional top contending team in your LL programs. We have been there many times. We seem to always have one maybe two teams that might make a run for the top spot, but usually always seem to have a couple or more teams clawing for just a win. We have some really good atheltes in our community, just not always enough to fill every position solidly. That is the disadvantage of being a small community, but I would not trade the format for anything. The Sequoyah Conference is tough and a solid league. My oldest has played in it for 5 years now, my youngest for 2 (Cricket Conference Champs!!), and my husband has coached for over 10 years (every age group but Cutters). My oldest son came from a Hopper team that was 0-10 to a 2008 Hopper team that went 6-6 making the playoffs for the first time since he was a first year Cricket. You talk about happy!!! He learned valuable lessons during the low years and it really made him work hard and mature to reach his goals. Many on his team have showed so much improvement over one year it's amazing. We have good coaches that are more than just a coach. They are like an extension of the family. My kids feel like they have 20-30 brothers all through season. The LL programs allow kids that may not ever have a chance of playing or developing to do so. When you combine communities to form a bigger and better team you are cutting like 44 potential starting positions down to as low as 22 (Off. & Def. w/some going both ways). Plus if the Monroe County teams start joining together for Middle School ball, Greenback would have to consider joining Loudon for a county Middle School team. No disrespect to Loudon, but that would hurt a lot of our kids. It would be hard for us to compete without joining somebody (as small a school as we are). The LL programs can & do work if done right. The LL years should be all about fundamentals, how to tackle, block, run & hold the ball, how to take the right angle, learning the wholes and different formations, the penalties, etc. They all know what touchdowns are, but when they first start many don't have a clue about the downs and how to move the chains. My youngest son has so much physical capability, but would crack you up before he learned the football jargon. WHen his coach would holler "stay outside" he would say "I am outside, what's he talking about?" When my older son told him he needed to "contain", the look on my younger son's face was priceless. He told him "I thought we were talking about football, I don't know what your talking about, but I thought we were talking about football". I'll never forget these moments. I know this is long, but why can't we just wait till our kids are in high school to play in that competitive school format. They are playing competitively in these LL programs and I really don't like the idea of having one kid playing on a Tues. night and another playing on Saturday, when they could just both be playing on Saturday. Week night (school night) football games for young kids prior to highschool seems a little ridiculous. I appreciate that my kids' games are on Saturday and not through the week. Education is very important as well. How does MS football get enough practice time in? DO they practice on Saturday? We don't practice on Wednesdays due to church or Fridays (usually) due to HS games. That only leaves 2 practice nights. Seems like they get more practice in the LL (which is extremely important). I need to stop here, I could go on for days on this subject.