Smyrna football Player arrested

bigredbird

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and that is my point he should play unless he is found guilty...we cannot keep punishing kids for being accuse of something

it isn't a question of being guilty...the kid has tarnished the program and brought negative publicity on his teammates and coaches. he needs to sit, plain and simple. it's the same idea as teachers who are implicated in sexual offenses with minors. they are first and foremost (and rightly so) SUSPENDED in order to stop any contact that may/may not be happening and to help the school save face. it's the right move to sit the kid (although he's not really a kid anymore). he needs to sit for causing/contributing to circumstances that have proven detrimental to his team and coaches, regardless if he's truly guilty or not. an eighteen year old doesn't always think about other people, but that's one thing that football tends to remedy...you at least have a team full of guys that you go to war with, and therefore you should protect them at all costs, which means keeping your name clean because your name ultimately is linked with that of your teammates and coaches.

Iwant to add two opinions:

1. The boy doesn't play, anymore.

2. Yoboy--get off the board and go back to school and learn how to spell and talk, pls.

I'm a long ways from home and you won't see me on here anymore. Bye.

y ya'll on me so bad. i may cant spell but im smart enuff 2 no this kid shouldnt pla. pimpin!!!!

Let's understand a few things:

1. The player was arrested but has not been convicted

2. The coach has the right to sit the player

3. The principal has the power to tell the player he cannot participate in football

4. If number 2 or 3 takes place the school board had better get ready to open their checkbook and sign a big check because people are innocent until proven guilty. Any average court appointed attorney could win the case against the school board, principal & coach

Smyrna is a public school and does not have a 24 hour contract with their students like some private schools. If this happened at a private school with a 24 hour contract the player would be suspended from school if not told to find another school to attend.

Let's understand a few things:

1. The player was arrested but has not been convicted

2. The coach has the right to sit the player

3. The principal has the power to tell the player he cannot participate in football

4. If number 2 or 3 takes place the school board had better get ready to open their checkbook and sign a big check because people are innocent until proven guilty. Any average court appointed attorney could win the case against the school board, principal & coach

Smyrna is a public school and does not have a 24 hour contract with their students like some private schools. If this happened at a private school with a 24 hour contract the player would be suspended from school if not told to find another school to attend.

I agree with everything but your 4th point. They may go to court but a public school can and does take action with kids even if they have not yet been convicted. If the act endangers the other children in the school, they can. It happens a lot. Maybe not with ???Star??? football players but it happens in many schools across the country. If the school feel it a safety thing, they are within the law to suspend or even expel the kid "Pending"

I know this is a terrible example but what if, he is in school and he ends up with the explosives or the gun on school grounds and hurts someone. What now? The school knew his was arrested on these charges. They let him in classes anyway. Is there not a lawsuit there? The answer is YES!!

I know this would be a tough call but Safety should be #1 in your decision process, not will we get suit.

I agree with everything but your 4th point. They may go to court but a public school can and does take action with kids even if they have not yet been convicted. If the act endangers the other children in the school, they can. It happens a lot. Maybe not with ???Star??? football players but it happens in many schools across the country. If the school feel it a safety thing, they are within the law to suspend or even expel the kid "Pending"

I know this is a terrible example but what if, he is in school and he ends up with the explosives or the gun on school grounds and hurts someone. What now? The school knew his was arrested on these charges. They let him in classes anyway. Is there not a lawsuit there? The answer is YES!!

I know this would be a tough call but Safety should be #1 in your decision process, not will we get suit.

You just answered your own question. This did not happen on school grounds & no students were with the player. If he has never been in any serious trouble on school grounds the school board has no reason to suspend him and the case would not hold water. If the judge felt that he was a safety risk to other students the bail would have been set so high that he would not have been able to get out of jail. Allow Rutherford County to suspend the player and every "GREAT" & "NOT SO GREAT" attorney would take this case because they know that it would be easy money.

I am of the opinion that the player should be shown the door but you are playing on legal ice.

You just answered your own question. This did not happen on school grounds & no students were with the player. If he has never been in any serious trouble on school grounds the school board has no reason to suspend him and the case would not hold water. If the judge felt that he was a safety risk to other students the bail would have been set so high that he would not have been able to get out of jail. Allow Rutherford County to suspend the player and every "GREAT" & "NOT SO GREAT" attorney would take this case because they know that it would be easy money.

I am of the opinion that the player should be shown the door but you are playing on legal ice.

This coach has the right to bench or even dismiss a player for whatever reason he sees fit. No-one has the right to play high school football....its a priviledge. Our coach recently dissmissed our star QB 1 week before the play-offs for an arrest. Most coaches have established rules of conduct that his players are expected to follow...stay out of trouble, don't do anything to jeopardize your standing on the team, don't get arrested on a firearms violation, etc.

Not true, it does not have to be on school ground. THAT IS A FACT!

How do you know "No students were with him??? The others that were arrested were minors and their names were not released. And I would say the bail was high. I saw a report in the paper where the bail was $32,000. That pretty high!

Listen, like I said before. This is not like he was arrested for steeling a candy bar or peeing behind a car. Theses are felony charges and a lot of them.

Not true, it does not have to be on school ground. THAT IS A FACT!

How do you know "No students were with him??? The others that were arrested were minors and their names were not released. And I would say the bail was high. I saw a report in the paper where the bail was $32,000. That pretty high!

Listen, like I said before. This is not like he was arrested for steeling a candy bar or peeing behind a car. Theses are felony charges and a lot of them.

Bail @ 32,000 only cost the player 3200.00 to get out of jail. If the judge felt that he was a safety risk the bail would have been 1 million+ so that it would cost him 100 grand (10%) or more to get out on bail.

Smyrna had their QB arrested for assaulting a girlfriend and knocking out another player a few yrs back.......Wolke. The court date kept being conveniently being pushed back so they could keep him on the field. It was supposed to go to court the week they played Oakland....and lo and behold....it got moved til January! This kind of stuff happens all the time. Depends on the discipline/standards of the coach whether the kid plays or not. Some coaches will bench you for missing practice or flunking a test inn school.Some have things in place such as incidents with alcohol or drugs out of school that benches a kid or an arrest. If that is already in place at Smyrna, then there would be no question of inoocence or guilt....you broke the coach's rules. Not sure what Williams has on his docket. We all know that Locke from Riverdale was arrested the week of the clinic bowl for theft in a store and played that week. Many many more examples..... in this area of athletes gone bad.

Bail @ 32,000 only cost the player 3200.00 to get out of jail. If the judge felt that he was a safety risk the bail would have been 1 million+ so that it would cost him 100 grand (10%) or more to get out on bail.

There are people arrested for murder that don't get $1million bond... I know if my kid was in jail on these kind of charges and I decided it was appropriate to bail him out, $3200 would seem like a lot of money...money an awful lot of people don't have lying around.