John Jenkins

TARHEEL30

After playing against Corey and playing with John as a freshman, I would give the nod to John right now. I say this b/c it is much easier to become a great defender than a great scorer. John has the scoring down obviously, but his defense is still too soft. He can score on anyone at anytime. You could not say that about Corey. I saw Brewer get shut down by Johnny Lee from MLK. He was MAYBE 5'10 and Brewer couldn't do anything. I would have loved to see Corey and John play each other in High School though. WOW, that would've been fun!! Far too early to determine the future career he'll have. I will say this much, IF he will put as much effort this next summer towards defending as he has scoring, LOOK OUT SEC!!! Can't wait to watch him next year.

yes true about defense but all the games jj had had 45 of less he has been tripled team except at jackson county and allen(22) did a great job on him he only had 23 on him and 38 for the game but allen shut him down in overtime in which jc won so jenkins cant be stopped but he can be slowed down enough for your team to win....but i love watch jj play he is simply amazing!!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes true about defense but all the games jj had had 45 of less he has been tripled team except at jackson county and allen(22) did a great job on him he only had 23 on him and 38 for the game but allen shut him down in overtime in which jc won so jenkins cant be stopped but he can be slowed down enough for your team to win....but i love watch jj play he is simply amazing!!

Jenkins has been double teamed at times already, but I seriously doubt that Jenkins has been triple teamed much so far this season. Maybe you are misinterpreting teams quickly looking to help if Jenkins beats a defender, running another defender (or two) at him if Jenkins gets free from the initial defender. However, that is not triple teaming him. Triple teaming him would have Jenkins guarded by three men and the other two defenders guarding four Station Camp guys. Who knows...that may happen at some point. But Jenkins hasn't been triple teamed in every game.

Also, I seriously doubt that some kid from Jackson County shut him down in overtime in their loss. Maybe Jenkins missed shots in OT. Maybe the kid did played tough defense in OT. Maybe Jenkins did not score in overtime. I'll buy any/all of that, but I'm doubting that some single A kid from Jackson County just shut Jenkins down in overtime.

Jenkins has been double teamed at times already, but I seriously doubt that Jenkins has been triple teamed much so far this season. Maybe you are misinterpreting teams quickly looking to help if Jenkins beats a defender, running another defender (or two) at him if Jenkins gets free from the initial defender. However, that is not triple teaming him. Triple teaming him would have Jenkins guarded by three men and the other two defenders guarding four Station Camp guys. Who knows...that may happen at some point. But Jenkins hasn't been triple teamed in every game.

Also, I seriously doubt that some kid from Jackson County shut him down in overtime in their loss. Maybe Jenkins missed shots in OT. Maybe the kid did played tough defense in OT. Maybe Jenkins did not score in overtime. I'll buy any/all of that, but I'm doubting that some single A kid from Jackson County just shut Jenkins down in overtime.

Jenkins "team-mates" in Jackson County that night were sophomores playing in their first varsity game due to the football team playing in the playoffs. Jenkins almost beat the whole JCHS team by himself.

is he as good as corey brewer? brewer came through portland and he took us to state. jenkins is yet to do that. brewer also won two national championships at florida. he is with the timberwolves now. is jenkins better?

There is no comparison in the two. i will take jenkins any day. you could defend corey brewer with one solid defender in high school. yeah he was a good player but he never really impressed me in high school the way jenkins did against upperman. this kid has it all. he showed some of the best court savy that i have ever seen out of a high school kid. he was getting hounded and hammered alot by some of our players and never once thought of throwing his hands in the air of saying something to the ref. he just simply ran back down the court blocked a shot and went back down to score. class act. now as a player he cannot be guarded by one player alone. his first step toward the ball is so fast that these other high school kids just cannot keep up. i know upperman tried a triangle in two on him. he had i think six points at half, simply because his teammates were knocking down shots and keeping them in the game. however after halftime upperman got around a twelve point lead, and you could tell he was about to take over. he went on to score 33 points and just simply could not be stopped. i never seen brewer take a game over like that. no doubt brewer cannot shoot with him. he cannot handle the ball as well. he doesn't pass the ball as well. the only thing i give brewer the nod on is defense. anyways that is my opinion from seeing both play in high school. it is just an opinion so i hope i didn't offend anyone.

Jenkins "team-mates" in Jackson County that night were sophomores playing in their first varsity game due to the football team playing in the playoffs. Jenkins almost beat the whole JCHS team by himself.

Those sophomores did play a lot in that game, but the Station Camp football players were actually four days out of football at the time and did play in the game. Jenkins is an unbelievable player and is having an unbelievable season, but there's no need to make it sound like more than it actually is.

There is no comparison in the two. i will take jenkins any day. you could defend corey brewer with one solid defender in high school. yeah he was a good player but he never really impressed me in high school the way jenkins did against upperman. this kid has it all. he showed some of the best court savy that i have ever seen out of a high school kid. he was getting hounded and hammered alot by some of our players and never once thought of throwing his hands in the air of saying something to the ref. he just simply ran back down the court blocked a shot and went back down to score. class act. now as a player he cannot be guarded by one player alone. his first step toward the ball is so fast that these other high school kids just cannot keep up. i know upperman tried a triangle in two on him. he had i think six points at half, simply because his teammates were knocking down shots and keeping them in the game. however after halftime upperman got around a twelve point lead, and you could tell he was about to take over. he went on to score 33 points and just simply could not be stopped. i never seen brewer take a game over like that. no doubt brewer cannot shoot with him. he cannot handle the ball as well. he doesn't pass the ball as well. the only thing i give brewer the nod on is defense. anyways that is my opinion from seeing both play in high school. it is just an opinion so i hope i didn't offend anyone.

Jenkins is by far the more polished player as a high school senior, and he's going to considered better because the obvious thing that most people notice is the fact that he is putting up a ton of points for his team. Jenkins is no doubt the better scorer, though his game still needs improvement. He doesn't handle the ball very much or very well. He's a catch and shoot guy, or will take one dribble and either get to the rim or pull back for the jumper.

Brewer had to take a lot more shots to get his points. Brewer's defensive ability was light years ahead of where Jenkins' is.

The similarity is that both had little support around them. That freedom got both of them a lot of attention. I would anticipate Jenkins being a McDonald's All-American, as was Brewer.

I have no doubt that Jenkins can be really good at Vanderbilt. The question is his height. Can he be as effective shooting the ball at the next level when the other SEC teams may very well run a 6-7 kid at him with long arms to try to limit his looks. Jenkins will still get his shot off because of his release point. However, it's different shooting over a 6-2 kid in high school as opposed to a 6-7 kid with length in college. I hope Jenkins is unfazed and tears it up.

The other thing that was way more in Brewer's corner rather than Jenkins is the fact that Brewer had way more upside entering college than does Jenkins. Jenkins will get better. Nobody doubts that. However, Brewer made huge strides each year, and if this current knee injury isn't a major setback in his development, he may still continue to drastically improve in the NBA.

Will Jenkins play in the NBA? Who knows the answer to that question. Nobody can tell that for sure at this point. People can only say that they feel that he is capable of reaching that level. Very few get that opportunity though. Brewer is 6-8 or 6-9. Jenkins is 6-4 or 6-5. That's a major difference. However, people don't understand just how well Jenkins shoots the basketball. His right hand may get him there.