DII State Championships Played on a Tuesday

WarriorFan

All of this "red-headed stepchild" treatment of DII is somewhat disappointing. However, at the end of the day, the large DII schools still own a healthy record over their DI counterparts. Many of the DII teams represent their state admirably in out-of-state matchups and in large part help mold outsiders' thinking about the quality of Tennessee high school football (and yes, that general opinion is on an uptick). And rarely a Saturday or Sunday goes by where you don't hear the name of a DII alum making a name for himself on the gridiron.

(And I certainly don't say this to diminish anything accomplished by DI teams and players; they are Tennessee representatives themselves, but this isn't about DI).

The old riddle goes, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it fall, does it make a noise?" I'd apply that riddle to DII. It doesn't matter if attendance is low or if the title game is televised or if the media coverage of the game is minimal. DII football (and DII-AA in particular) is still representative of overall quality in Tennessee football. TV or newspaper clippings are not necessary to validate the league's place in this state (or in the eyes of others outside of this state).

With that said, it sure would be nice to see the product made available to others and more convenient for its closer supporters.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is COMICAL!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You can order the "Cheer and Dance" live TV highlight show for DI and it will cost you $$$. Take a look! http://www.thssn.net/events.aspx .

The DII State Championship games have audiocast, and it is FREE because there is no market for it......yet interestingly.....there is a market for "Cheer and Dance". /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

You can order the "Cheer and Dance" live TV highlight show for DI and it will cost you $$$. Take a look! http://www.thssn.net/events.aspx .

The DII State Championship games have audiocast, and it is FREE because there is no market for it......yet interestingly.....there is a market for "Cheer and Dance". /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Larry Flynt promised to talk it up in his circles and subsidize it if his pull doesn't generate enough sales buzz.

This is COMICAL!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Brandon I must admit ..."Your a man on a mission" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Brandon...Good luck agin MUS....Good news .....mommaSTARS got signed up wif tha DCV chapter hear in Mairvul....Thay's hope fer everbody..... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Thanks Stars!!!! ar' Tod Carter chapter will be'a pullin hard fer them eagles!!! They jes won't let ar' flags 'en tha gate. Got mah truck lookin' purtee spiffy wif' mah flag 'en gunrack awn that back windee. Brought mah' huntin gear 'en tew shooter fer some possum huntin' after tha game down awn ma furst cuzin' Enos's farm. Et's been in that famlee sence tha' Revolutionary war awf uh lan' grant. Wees thinkin' uh sellin to these hi fallutin deevelpoers an' movin' tew tha citee en one a them thangs they call uh hi rize conde minimum. Them folks is reel nice! I ken get 'em fer a song rite now! Sompin about that ther "cement pond" eye can't figur out fer skinny dippin. We been chekin tew see if they gonna let us build sum duck blinds awn top of that thar bildin. We's gawna get rid uv them birds an cook us up a mess food!

Good luck, ain eye look ferwerd tew a good Saterdee game hopefelly fer the Mairvul Rebs 'en tha Battle o' tha 'burro! Ey'll be thar! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Play the D2 state championship football games on Thanksgiving Day. Many of the East Coast prep schools play their final regular season games on Thanksgiving Day and have several thousand fans in attendance. Kids would be out of school, most people would not have to work, alumni would be in town for the holidays and family and friends would be able to travel into town to watch "Little Johnny" play for a state title without missing work. With most of the D2 schools being in metroplitian areas the D2 state championship football games would have better attendance if they were played in Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga or Knoxville. IMO, they should play the D2 state championship games at UTC, Vanderbilt or MBA every year.

Play the D2 state championship football games on Thanksgiving Day. Many of the East Coast prep schools play their final regular season games on Thanksgiving Day and have several thousand fans in attendance. Kids would be out of school, most people would not have to work, alumni would be in town for the holidays and family and friends would be able to travel into town to watch "Little Johnny" play for a state title without missing work. With most of the D2 schools being in metroplitian areas the D2 state championship football games would have better attendance if they were played in Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga or Knoxville. IMO, they should play the D2 state championship games at UTC, Vanderbilt or MBA every year.

CBG.....your idea is the BEST idea I have heard to date on turning lemons into lemonade regarding weekday State Championships. I hope this idea is looked at. If there are any DII folks with pull, would this be something that could be suggested? What are others' thoughts? I see this as something that would be a tradition for years to come. Good job for thinking outside the box, cbg!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

CBG.....your idea is the BEST idea I have heard to date on turning lemons into lemonade regarding weekday State Championships. I hope this idea is looked at. If there are any DII folks with pull, would this be something that could be suggested? What are others' thoughts? I see this as something that would be a tradition for years to come. Good job for thinking outside the box, cbg!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

From the mid '50's through the early '70's (ie, pre play-offs and first few years of play-offs), the Clinic Bowl was played on Thanksgiving afternoon at Vanderbilt, to generally large crowds. Of course the money was squandered on the Children's Hospital, not the TSSAA coffers....

With Vandy getting turf field, I would like to see all football championship games return back to Vandy due to the ease of access and parking. I would believe it to bring in larger crowds due to access and convenience. The only problem with the suggestion, the TSSAA and game officials will not want to be there working on Thanksgiving.