4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

Who cares

Can we all agree to ignore bladewhiner? He's not from Maryville, nor is he a Maryville fan. And while we're ignoring bladewhiner, lets forget about the Henry Co & Sullivan South and get back to the 4A title game in this thread.

On that note:

MHS: 24

HHS: 12

Don't you mean "Hitch"whiner???? LMK /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodness! The other side of that coin is just go 5-wide shotgun the entire game! The Burros will likely be ready whatever it is! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Yeah, Blade brought the spread to HHS in 2006, but the 2006 team didn't trust each other or the coaches very much at all. The 2008 team has finally begun to buy into what Blade has been preaching. That could prove to be the difference this year. This team has quite a bit of heart.

One thing I remember about the 06 game was scrathcing my head at the playcalling that afternoon by Hillsboro. They were able to basically run the ball at will but had trouble throwing the ball all day long and they never stopped it. That was a big difference in the game to me.

I am looking forward to a great game. I guess I'm one of the few who expected Hillsboro to win agaisnt Henry Co. I actually thought it would be worse. This will be the Rebels biggest challenge of the season no doubt.

This was just my opinion- no need to get all testy about it- i have seen all three teams play this year- Just reporting what I saw.

Testy? "Who cares" is about as passive of a statement as there is...

Over the years, I have loved hearing about all the teams [that have been eliminated in the playoffs] that Maryville "could not have beaten". It's like we cherrypick who makes it to the Boro/semifinals/etc.

You are accurate in your assessment, jimac4. But,not making excuses, I would like to add the following for perspective. Our starting center,arguably one of our best and quickest blockers, sustained a high ankle sprain at practice on Tuesday, which he played on with dramatic effect on his performance. Our left tackle severely sprained his ankle on Thursdsay and didn't dress. A freshman who had never played the position before played there the whole night. In effect 40% of our offensive line wasn't what it has been all year. I feel that these misfortunes affected dramatically our performance. Did it cause us to lose? I doubt it, but who knows----

haha yea yea yea, just for perspective, hillsboro beat you after the starting qb went down 3 plays into the game. nonetheless, 3 plays was enough to complete a 71-yd td pass. who knows how bad it might have been if GY would have played the whole game...

just fyi, it wasn't the passing game that was beating HC. how many times did they intercept passes? how many more were close to interceptions? several.

the running game beat hc, not the passing game.

maybe it would've been better if they would have tried to pass more.

coulda, shoulda, woulda, who cares now. you guys have to try and beat Maryville. give it your best shot.

Exactly! That's why Quarles is so successful despite never really having more talent than the coaches he's faced in the State Championship the 6 times he's won. That's all it is. I believe if Quarles actually had HHS-level talent at Maryville also...Maryville would be legitimately challenging De LeSalle High School's historic win streak. I mean, 74 straight wins and not nearly the talent and athleticism as some of their opponents.

Point of order my friend.

There is no question Quarles and his staff has greatly improved what Maryville fields, but to keep disrespecting some of the kids who suit for Maryville year end and year out is silly. Every Maryville has a few kids who could play for anyone. The players are the ones getting up at 5:30 AM then running all summer long. Hitting the weight room during school months and lifting year round on their own. Getting together on Saturdays at the local parks without the coaches around to throw some passes for extra work. The kids pay the price at Maryville and it shows. You want to start or get playing time at Maryville you better be able to get the job done. Always giving the coaches credit is fine and they earn it but think Hillsboro's speed is going to kill someone is also silly.

Maryville has plenty of athletes to match most teams every year. Do other teams have D1 kids that are faster than Maryville does most years, yes? But none of it matters if a team plays position and discipline football. Speed only kills if it is allowed to run free and the Black Swarm does not often allow that to happen. Maryville executes better than most teams and is able to capitalize on the other team??™s mistakes most years. Watch the last several State Championship games and see if some of those great RB??™s like Cooper got wide open. Thinking Maryville has the lesser athlete??™s all the time is misguided in my opinion. Ask all those D1 studded great teams from Melrose, Memphis East, and Hillsboro during the past ten years if having the best athletes is a huge advantage over Maryville.

Then ask who??™s got the gold balls and the rings! I??™ll take the better team than 11 so called D1 athletes anybody else has got. Maryville has nothing to prove and they have enough athleticism to get the job done this weekend. Thinking they don??™t plays right into the scheme of things.

Point of order my friend.

There is no question Quarles and his staff has greatly improved what Maryville fields, but to keep disrespecting some of the kids who suit for Maryville year end and year out is silly. Every Maryville has a few kids who could play for anyone. The players are the ones getting up at 5:30 AM then running all summer long. Hitting the weight room during school months and lifting year round on their own. Getting together on Saturdays at the local parks without the coaches around to throw some passes for extra work. The kids pay the price at Maryville and it shows. You want to start or get playing time at Maryville you better be able to get the job done. Always giving the coaches credit is fine and they earn it but think Hillsboro's speed is going to kill someone is also silly.

Maryville has plenty of athletes to match most teams every year. Do other teams have D1 kids that are faster than Maryville does most years, yes? But none of it matters if a team plays position and discipline football. Speed only kills if it is allowed to run free and the Black Swarm does not often allow that to happen. Maryville executes better than most teams and is able to capitalize on the other team?€™s mistakes most years. Watch the last several State Championship games and see if some of those great RB?€™s like Cooper got wide open. Thinking Maryville has the lesser athlete?€™s all the time is misguided in my opinion. Ask all those D1 studded great teams from Melrose, Memphis East, and Hillsboro during the past ten years if having the best athletes is a huge advantage over Maryville.

Then ask who?€™s got the gold balls and the rings! I?€™ll take the better team than 11 so called D1 athletes anybody else has got. Maryville has nothing to prove and they have enough athleticism to get the job done this weekend. Thinking they don?€™t plays right into the scheme of things.

I don't think you understood what I was saying very well because I said the same thing you just said in not so many words. I agree with your post 100%.

I merely said HHS, Melrose, and Maplewood have all had better overall talent in the 6 State Championship games. However, that didn't matter because Maryville is a more unified TEAM that plays hard and is well coached. No slight at Maryville intended at all...Just recognizing facts.

Maryville has good talent, but not the same level as the three teams they have played in the State Championship this decade. However, they continually prove that individual talent doesn't overcome well coached TEAM play. My hope is that this 2008 HHS team finally has the TEAM play down to mesh with their athleticism to the point where Maryville is helpless because their TEAM is matched by another TEAM in HHS combined with superior athleticism.

That's what it will take for HHS to beat Maryville, not superior athleticism alone. Maryville has proven that over and over and over and over and over and over. It will take a TEAM like Maryville with superior talent and at least equal coaching. Forgive me, but I firmly believe HHS finally has all those components in place this year. We'll find out on Saturday if I'm correct.

/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

You disagree?

2001 HHS, 2002 HHS? 2004 Melrose? 2005 Melrose? 2006 HHS? Even 2007 Maplewood?

I'm not saying they were better TEAMS as evidenced by their getting beat. However, pure talent and athleticism I can't say anyone at Maryville over the years apart from Tyler Maples can match many of the kids on the above teams. He was AMAZING! Why is he not playing at UTK yet?

Every Maryville has a few kids who could play for anyone. The players are the ones getting up at 5:30 AM then running all summer long. Hitting the weight room during school months and lifting year round on their own. Getting together on Saturdays at the local parks without the coaches around to throw some passes for extra work. The kids pay the price at Maryville and it shows. You want to start or get playing time at Maryville you better be able to get the job done.

This says it very well! To get 14-18 yr old boys to get up at 5:00 in the summer with no girls involved is nearly impossible. They know what it takes and are willing to sacrifice. That should never be overlooked.