Knoxville Catholic vs. Mitchell

playoffsarecool

There's no need to keep anonymity or unbiasedness any longer...I've got a ring and a gold ball!

Here are my takes on the season, game and message board:

1. How can an undefeated team be undeserving of a state title?

2. I'm disappionted that Maryville lost. I wanted Catholic to be the team to end the streak next season.

3. I can't wait for the Catholic/Webb basketball game this winter. Look for me: I'll be the one in the blue "State Champions" hat.

4. We won the "Irish way" this season: discipline and selflessness (and luck).

5. Mitchell's running back was unstoppable. I know first hand.

6. We can't help it if non-Catholics want to play for a championship-calliber team.

7. The booster club is niether cocky nor overconfident. Only two parents had 15-0 T-shirts under their sweatshirts. The NewsSentinal exaggerated.

8. Stop hating.

9. Sacred Heart, St. Joe's...

10. We're a young team. Look for us to make some noise in 5A next year. There's a fresh set of teams who don't know what's about to hit them!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no need to keep anonymity or unbiasedness any longer...I've got a ring and a gold ball!

3. I can't wait for the Catholic/Webb basketball game this winter. Look for me: I'll be the one in the blue "State Champions" hat.

Congratulations on only the school's second State Championship in their history. Take care of that hat, it'll be the last one of those you'll get to wear. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

2. I'm disappionted that Maryville lost. I wanted Catholic to be the team to end the streak next season.

6. We can't help it if non-Catholics want to play for a championship-calliber team.

7. The booster club is niether cocky nor overconfident. Only two parents had 15-0 T-shirts under their sweatshirts. The NewsSentinal exaggerated.

8. Stop hating.

10. We're a young team. Look for us to make some noise in 5A next year. There's a fresh set of teams who don't know what's about to hit them!

Good call Eastoakland. Congrats on the ring. Wish i had one. But hey I'm fine. We might win state this year for my sport. Thanks for joining in the conversation Catholic haters. I'm happy you like to hear yourself talk. But don't worry, there is always next year for your team. Like someone said early, the winner did come out on top (haha) Justify how a team who goes undefeated in the toughest region in the classification is undeserving of a state championship. You complain about luck. Is it lucky for austin east to win over us because we missed 3 extra points and lost by one? Is it lucky that Freeney made the one handed catch in the endzone to put us out against fulton? So what if luck is a part of it? that should not take anything away. Maybe your team will do okay next year.

8. Stop hating.

Amen! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I really get tired of posts about "undeserving" championships, regardless of team. No championship has ever been won by a weak, but lucky, team. It just doesn't happen. In my view you need to be both strong and lucky team to win a championship and that describes the Irish.

P.S. playoffsarecool, you said, "If the official doesn't miss the pass interference call in the end zone at the end of the AC game, Catholic loses. If the Austin-East players weren't conveniently suspended, Catholic loses. If White House holds on the the ball, Catholic loses. If Mitchell runs the ball for the entire game, Catholic loses."

First, none of those things are relevant. The games are over and you know how they turned out. Whatever team you support---unless you support none and just hate the Irish---your team lost this season and, probably, for most of the last several years.

Second, Catholic also beat AC by two touchdowns at AC during the season. Was there a bad call against AC in that game as well and how did the Irish score 14 off of it? Moreover how about all of the other times Catholic beat AC since it joined 3A---I guess all bad calls, right?

Third, Catholic beat AE by 9 points earlier in this season for AE's only other 3A loss (other than the playoff loss to Catholic). Who was conveniently suspended for that game so that result is explainable?

If White Station "holds on the ball",... Are you serious? White Station played great , but Catholic dominated the second half of that game with the run. No luck there. Good old school football won that game.

Finally, Mitchell's back was awesome (as were several other players that we will see in big time college programs)but if Mitchell had become as one dimensional as some of the posters on the Board suggest (i.e. run #28 every play), it would be just a matter of time before Catholic's coaches would have shifted their defensive focus to him. Mitchell's coach made his choices and Catholic's defense made him pay, but teams win games, not individuals.

There is good news for you though. With Catholic being forced up, maybe your team will be able to get past AE and Fulton next year. Unlikely, but maybe. Good luck to you,....next time of course! For now, Go Irish! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Listen I am the biggest mitchell fan on this board and we need to give kc credit. Those yuong men played hard they are the champs. My hat is off to them

So what is with you doing the head coach bashing and you being the ex-AD there at Mitchell........inquiring minds want to know...was there problems ....friction...a bad hire????

Catholic will be fine in their new district. Here is why. Previous performance is a fine indicator of future performance. When Catholic went into 2-3A, they were picked by most (including me) to do no better than 4th. AE or Fulton at the top, with AC, Kingston/Catholic. They did fine then. They have grown in numbers, and developed a an even better feeder program since then. Their 8th grade team won the league, that I believe includes some of the Knox. Co. teams they will play in 6A district play & 5A playoff play. According to the broadcasters yesterday they only had five starters back from last years team. So what? That means talented depth is there. They have a bunch coming back next year. They will give Mville, Farragut, Bearden, West, Billy Blount all they want. I'm not suggesting they will beat them all, but it would not surprise me. Farragut will be strong (they beat Mville in a scrimmage this past fall). I know. Bearden with Young, and the new QB, along with a much more experienced line will be good. Meadows is back at Billy B. Maryville lost, so they will be out to restake their claim. Cummings has West pointed in the right direction. District is going to be fantastic viewing for an old fan like me. Catholic will be in the mix. MM should roll through next year. Fine team.

ruse?

Thats funny. Maryville will dominate the region next year and win another title

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That pass was a bad call I love coach cole and there are no hard feelings. He just made a bad call. As a coach he loves and cares for the boys. Before he came our program was ih the dumps. One bad call does not outweigh his goodness.

Exactly. Galilee, you know as well as anyone, if that pass ends up completed and Mitchell goes on to score, Coach Cole is suddenly a genius who made just the right call to trick the Irish who were expecting another tough rushing play.

Hind sight is always perfect, but making choices during a game at this level is a risky business for all involved. It is awfully hard for me to believe Coach Cole was the only person in the State who didn't notice his young running back was having one heckuva game. He made that call for a reason and if it had worked....well you know the rest.

Mitchell has one very fine football team. I bet they'll go deep in the playoffs again next year. Congratulations on a great season. Loosing in the last game is hard, but it beats every other team's season except one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />