White Co. Football

cavsfootball

I really didn't mean to ramble so much or seem as if I was trying to sway anyone's opinion. I do know he is happy at Cookeville and loves Coach Joslin and how he conducts a program. He probably has one of the best jobs in the Upper Cumberland right now at a program that has a solid foundation and could be very good in '09.

Also I'm happy at Jackson County, we have a building project ongoing, an exciting young coaching staff (except for me) that gets along great, and the potential to get to the next level if we have enough patience to take small steps, which I think we do.

I understand completely about both the situations that you guys are currently in. It's not like neither one of you are in dire need of a place to call home. And I understand Matthan's ambitions to be the head of his own program. That's a coaches dream. But like I told him, don't worry about it if it happens that's good and if it doesn't that's ok too. Because you are in one of the best situations in the entire state. I guarantee you there are 100's of coaches that would like to be in his position. If WC decides to hire someone else and he doesn't get the job, he hasn't lost anything. He can continue to do what he loves and there will always be opportunities for someone like him. His day will come and with the approach he takes to the game he will be nothing short of successful.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is so much work to be done in the football program in White County and so little time with March just around the corner. Whatever happens I commend Coach Brent Farley for his work in the off season and whoever gets the job owes a big thank you to his efforts. As far as what will happen, I have no clue and no comment except I will say not to expect someone to jump ship for their home just because it's their home school. Every situation is different.

I've coached at White County, started the Overton County Youth football program and coached it for 3 years, then joined Livingston Academy, then Jackson County, back to Livingston Academy and then back to Jackson County and I love the kids at all of those schools. I still have players I keep in touch with from all my coaching stops as far back as that 1980 Sparta Warriors team. Coaching is wonderful because it allows a 50 year old man to share dreams and aspirations with young men, to work for a common goal and to watch them grow not only as a football player but as a valuable member of society. I don't mean to sound soft but it is an emotional sport, coaches get attached to players and players to coaches, that is what makes a TEAM. You fight all those little battles together daily in practice and when the time comes that the game is on the line you trust your players and they trust you. That's why I coach.

While I'm talking about coaching let me say I feel there is no need for profanity in the coaching ranks. If I can't get my point across without it I need to be studying a dictionary or even better, my Bible, more than I need to be out on that field. When a coach cusses a player you are telling him it's alright to talk that way and you shouldn't be surprised when a player cusses a coach or a teammate. It's doing the little things right that adds up to the big picture. If White County needs that kind of discipline, that kind of mutual respect, and someone who has the big picture in mind I know where they can find the right fit. I know a potential head coach who lives it everyday in his personal life and it's not for show it's how he was raised.

For those who doubt his football knowledge the 2002 Dartmouth team set a school record for passing yards in a season. One of the receivers Casey Cramer plays for the Tennessee Titans ( and stays in touch), the quarterback Brian Mann played in the Arena Football League for Los Angeles and was an actor in The Longest Yard and Invincible. The backup quarterback was Dan Shula, grandson of Don Shula and just last week hired as an assistant coach at Illinois State University. Houser led that team in yards per catch and was a part-time starter and in the rotation all season. The innovative offense of the Perry brothers (one is now at Brown, the other head coach at Merrimack College) and the tutelage of Scott Sallach, his receivers coach, who was recently hired at Mississippi State should show the bloodlines of what to expect. A motion offense that tries to create mismatches (similar to Florida). If someone wants to run the wing-T then it's not a good fit. But I can promise you kids love it.

Defensively it is controlled aggression based on the strong points of the personnel. That is just the philosophy.

Did you realize 21% of the snaps in a football game are special team snaps? We believe in making special teams SPECIAL. Whatever it takes brother, that's the motto, and certainly to be taken within the confines of the rules but it means take pride in them and excel at reaching your goals within your limitations.

As coaches we should never ask someone to do something they are not capable of doing and always strive to put players in position to be successful.

Why do I say all of this? Just rambling I guess.

Nice post, and I think that it gives alot of insight to what could be comming to White County football. I hope whoever gets the job shares some of the same thinking that you wrote about. I can tell you this. I was at workouts late last week. I seen kids there working on footwork and agility on their own. This was on off day for upperclassmen but several were out there. There is a hunger with the kids and their just waiting of someone to come in and feed that hunger. One thing that whoever comes in need to know is that their is some talent inside the school that for one reason or another has passed on the football team. I know of one who went to a camp and raised eyebrowes as a 7th grader. He has never played on the middle school team. There are several upperclassmen who need to be on the feild insted of the stands. Also let me say that there is alot of people who want to support the football program. But for the past few years the mentality has been stay away and let us take care of things. I'm not talking about the nuts and bolts of the program, but rather support things that would be meaningful to the players. Do you know that the past senior players had to do their own media and stats to send to schools for the hope of a scolarship or aid. There are just alot of things that have not been done. I feel good about the future and hope that we hear who the pick is first of the week.

Coach Kerr is leaving Sparta for family reasons. He is returning to Anderson County to be with his family, and will then go back to assistant coaching whjen the time is right. He will be leaving at Christmas break, and he will be missed by the Sparta fans. As of yet, there have been no names mentioned, although the AD is looking at some potential head coaches. As for the former Coach Brown being at the WCHS game the other night, his wife still teaches at WCMS, and his daughter is a Freshman at WCHS.

I WILL JUST LET YOU GUYS IN ON LIL SECRET, OL DADDY KERR, GOT TOLD FRIDAY, BY A SCHOOL OFFICIAL, THAT JOSH WONT BE COACHING AT ANDERSON COUNTY NEXT YEAR, THAT AC HAD THE COACHING STAF IN PLACE, THAT THEY WANT, AND IF HE DIDNT LIKE IT, HE COULD LEAVE, DNT KNOW WHAT GOIN ON ABOUT THIS SITUATION, BUT IV SAID IT BEFORE, AND I SAY IT AGAIN, ONCE THIS KERR LEAVES, THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER KERR, AS A HEAD COACH AT ANDERSON COUNTY, AND AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED, IV HAD MY BELLY FULL OF THE KERR BS!

There are just alot of things that have not been done. I feel good about the future and hope that we hear who the pick is first of the week.

You are exactly right about a lot of things not being done. That's why we need to get someone in here as soon as possible so they can go to work on our future. This town is ready to win and like you said the players are hungry so I also feel good about the future. I've been excited the last few days and I can't wait until the announcement comes and we finally have a coach. I haven't been hearing Coach Malone's name much on here but Coach Houser seems to be a great coach. The information that jacksoncounty provided excites me about that possibility so if he's the one hired I think we have some good times ahead. Don't take that as I wouldn't be behind Coach Malone, I just don't know that much about him. I sure hope the announcement comes tomorrow. I don't think I can wait much longer!

You are exactly right about a lot of things not being done. That's why we need to get someone in here as soon as possible so they can go to work on our future. This town is ready to win and like you said the players are hungry so I also feel good about the future. I've been excited the last few days and I can't wait until the announcement comes and we finally have a coach. I haven't been hearing Coach Malone's name much on here but Coach Houser seems to be a great coach. The information that jacksoncounty provided excites me about that possibility so if he's the one hired I think we have some good times ahead. Don't take that as I wouldn't be behind Coach Malone, I just don't know that much about him. I sure hope the announcement comes tomorrow. I don't think I can wait much longer!

I don't want you to think that I'm a Houser band wagon man. I have heard alot of good things about Coach Malone too. What I'm getting from the people I'm talking to is that Coach Houser may have a little more support with the interview board, as of last week. Having said that it should also be said that Coach Malone made a very positive impression as well. Here's the bottom line, both seem to have the qualities that are needed for this program. I have'ent found anyone who has said one thing bad about them. Whom ever gets the nod has just a ton of work to do. He can not do it alone. He will need all the support he can get. This is where I'm calling you out "warrior1996alum", get involved allyou can if you have'nt already. Call the rest of that 1996 class and say let's go to a QB Club meeting or lets go by and see how the team looks at practice, and by all means, lets go to the game tonite. Nothing will say more to this new coach than a butt in every seat!

Wow, I read where someone earlier said White Co. was looking to hire the middle school coach to run the varsity. Are they serious? Is this the same middle school coach who fed them the type of athletes and losing tradition to win 3 games in two years, and Lord knows how many losses came before that? If that's the same guy, I don't care how many weight rooms you build or how much you upgrade your facilities, the team expectations to win will still be low for the simple fact that they were never high when he coached them in middle school. The players know that. They may not want to admit it, but they all know it. Heck, He'll be excitied if the team wins more than 2 games in one season. Why? Because even if the bar is raised by the coach, the players will still feel comfortable with a 3-7 season. Now I've read where some of the coaches who have applied have great credentials and didn't even get interviewed. I don't know if the guy who played at Dartmouth had a chance or not, but he sounded like a good option. Also, Bragg hasn't even got an interview. His winning percentage as a coordinator is almost 90%, and against good teams like Fulton, Anderson Co., Kingston, Brainerd, etc...I'm not syaing hire Bragg or the guy from Dartmouth, but applicants with these types of credintials are getting passed over by a middle school coach? If that's who they chose to run their program (someone who helped contribute to an already struggling program) White Co. Football deserves to stay at the bottom of the barrell.

Wow, I read where someone earlier said White Co. was looking to hire the middle school coach to run the varsity. Are they serious?

I haven't heard this, but nothing would surprise me at this point. Maybe spartafire can fill us in on any truth to these rumors? And winston I'm with you, it looks like we would get someone in here as fast possible. Spring practice is right around the corner and our boys need to start learning the new system.

This is the situation as I know it. Threr will be a meeting today, not for purpose of interviewing but to vote between Houser and Malone. Should be an offical announcment today. Not sure which way it will go, Malone sounded strong over the weekend. As far as what was said in the post about a middle school coach moving up. I can tell you this, that was never a option. I know who he was speaking of and that was not going to happen. That person could not even get the middle school job back if it was open. I can honestly tell you that there is a new air in warrior football and that the reason that it has taken so long is that it took a while to get all involved singing from the same sheet of music. There was a couple of admin people who assumed that it was going to be a good ole boy situation, and found that there are people who care enough about the program now that that would'ent work this time. This is going to be a clean break and new start. The old "baggage" is to be removed. Now there are a couple of young coaches that will more than likely be back, but they were two that were not happy with the way things were. Hang tight, I will post as soon as the meeting is over and I get the word.