TSSAA Football Championships to Cookeville

Gerry Bertier

Alright my plan would have all the championship games moved from Murfresboro to Cookeville. TN Tech' stadium would provide a great atmosphere for the games. They also have plenty of hotels and restaurants to accomdate the state attenders. Here are some facts and figures about the proposed moved.

Miles from Memphis

Cookeville- 291

Murfreesboro- 244

Miles from Nashville

Cookeville-78

Murfreesboro- 32.7

Miles from Chattanooga

Cookeville- 93.2

Murfreesboro- 108

Miles from Knoxville

Cookeville- 103

Murfreesboro- 180

MTSU Stadium Capacity 31,000

TN Tech Capacity 16,500

What do you guy think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good proposal, but if they were gonna move the state championship to any where, it'd be LP Field.

That would be a horrible move, they need a smaller venue not a larger one. The atmosphere at MTSU is horrible. The games can't even come close to filling Floyd Stadium, so LP Field would look like a ghost town. They need to find a way to create a better experience for the players and fans.

Cookeville is not Murfreesboro in terms of the city alone though. It seems like this only tacks on more miles for those poor Memphis folks to drive as well! And all that driving just to get to........Cookeville. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

Bring it to Chattanooga. Finley Stadium would be a great place to have it. Chattanooga has alot to offer as far as attractions with Rock City, Ruby Falls, the Aquarium, etc. The city already host the IAA Championship, so why not the State Championships. The only negative is the travel for the Memphis schools.

It is at Murfreesboro for a reason. The stadium is about 1/2 mile from the exact geographic center of the state. To go along with this is the fact there is ample parking, hotels, resteraunts and everything else to go along with hosting the championships. Only down side is the fact that MTSU is charging more for the stadium and it takes away from the TSSAA PROFITS! That is going to hit no matter what state school they play the championships at as the money has to come from somewhere and the State is NOT going to foot the bill.

Also Murfreesboro is now the fifth largest city in the state, and if it keeps going at its present rate it will PASS Chattanooga in size in the next 5 years to be the fourth largest city in the state.

I do not see it moving in the near future. Besides moving it would mean Ronnie Carter would actually have to drive somewhere! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It is at Murfreesboro for a reason. The stadium is about 1/2 mile from the exact geographic center of the state. To go along with this is the fact there is ample parking, hotels, resteraunts and everything else to go along with hosting the championships. Only down side is the fact that MTSU is charging more for the stadium and it takes away from the TSSAA PROFITS! That is going to hit no matter what state school they play the championships at as the money has to come from somewhere and the State is NOT going to foot the bill.

Also Murfreesboro is now the fifth largest city in the state, and if it keeps going at its present rate it will PASS Chattanooga in size in the next 5 years to be the fourth largest city in the state.

I do not see it moving in the near future. Besides moving it would mean Ronnie Carter would actually have to drive somewhere! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I agree...the #s decline really has a lot to do with television coverage. Don't get me wrong, I am appreciative as a fan for what the local media is doing for HSF, but if you look at TSSAA's archives and see the #s, in 1987 (I think), Dicskon County won a state championship with 32,000 watching, and even in the 90s there were some 20+K crowds. What was the 5A game the other night, have they posted that yyet?

They must be getting a lot of money for that TV coverage because I have been coming to the games for over 10 years now and the crowds get smaller and smaller. They are going to have to do something different next year. There will be 6 title games instead of 5. You can't really start at noon on Friday can you? Or add a fourth game to Saturday and start at 10 AM?

Now it might not matter but I think I remember seeing that 1A and 2A will have less teams in the playoffs then the other classifications so you might be able to start them at the same time as everybody else and just play their title games the week before.

But I think what needs to happen is this. Split the games up and everything will be played on Saturdays. The first Saturday will be the 1A, 2A and 3A games. The following Saturday will be 4A, 5A and 6A.

In Missouri, all of their playoffs games are done the Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. To get to that point, their playoffs games start on the first Friday after the regular season then your second game is the following Wednesday. Then the following Monday...so that everybody is ready to play in the championships by Turkey Day weekend.

I'm rambling but that's what I think...not that its worth anything

Cookeville has just as much to offer as the Boro. What's to need, a stadium,hotels and a place to eat and maybe get an adult beverage. Doesn't matter where it is really. And Memphis will always the be the odd man out unless the games are played there.

Also I heard a interesting suggestion in the Boro last weekend... blind draw among all six classes for day and time of the games. 1-A could play Sat nite. And 6-A Fri afternoon. That ought to start a lot of whinning!!!

Random draw would not be a bad ideal. But to move it from the Boro would be crazy, the only way moving it from the Boro would be that it moves around the state every year.

About the numbers of attendence, it was very cold at the games this year. For the die hard football fans they are going to be in attendence but for those people that have no ties to the teams that are playing, they are not going to seat out in thirty degree weather.