Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ladies and gentlemen... I can't believe it, but it's almost game time!

I've been pretty disappointed in the lacking quality conversation over all these pages, and I think this great rivalry deserves a little bit better than that. I wish that in reading this whole thread I had learned more about the two squads. As it is, I'll go ahead and throw some thoughts out there with the disclaimer that I'm definitely less informed this season that I have been in a number of years...and maybe ever.

Here's what I've got:

Offense -

Alcoa is always explosive. I'm hearing that their O-line is even better than usual, and able to sustain long drives in addition to the quick score threat that the offense always poses. I know that Maryville is only bringing back a handful of starters...fortunately one of those is the QB, correct? So, AHS breaking in a new gunner is a disadvantage, but they do have one game under their belts and that typically represents a nice learning curve. Pluses and minuses both ways, but overall advantage:

Alcoa

Defense:

Again, I'm hearing that MHS only returns a handful of starters. However, I think Rankin is a little more predictable that GQ, so they'll have a better idea of what their up against (pretty creative way to look at lots of first time starters right...that you don't know how to prep for them?). In the past, this is the side of the ball where Alcoa has lost these games (in my opinion). They've either tired, given up the big play or just not been able to stay with the usually more than potent Rebel attack. Even so, from what I hear, I think the slight nod still has to go to

Alcoa

I don't know nearly enough about either of the special teams to make any claims on that front.

Intangibles:

Home-field goes to Alcoa

Motivation goes to Alcoa...it's been awhile since they won.

Pressure goes to MHS...with all these young guys no one would be shocked at a loss so they can play loose

Coaching goes to Maryville even though both are great coaches

So, if it's going to happen, I think this is the year. I'm glad I don't have money on it, because I could never bet against the Rebels...but I think now might be a wise time to do it.

I noticed that the Knoxville paper has picked Alcoa to win...AGAIN...no surprise there. They actually have MHS ranked behind 2 other teams right now. I'm glad that will get settled on the field. Also all the guys on the radio seem to be leaning toward the Tornados.

Best of luck to both teams. Tonight is just one of many that I'll be cheering against Alcoa this season, but I do hope for a great game...and I hope I'm able to make it there.

Anyone hearing any estimates on attendance or know what time the gates open?

Thankyou for finally putting up something worth reading Papa Chaos, I was just curious is this about Maryville V. Alcoa football, or who has the best photoshop software??

We fight over everything here in Blount County...don't get us started on who's better at photoshop :wacko:

I have it on good authority that at least 40% of the kids in Alcoa's computer classes are not licensed to use the graphics software there anyway and are doing so illegally...kidding, kidding!! Geez!

Is the game going to be streamed on the internet? Anyone know?

Here's a link:

http://www.ihigh.com/greatamericanrival ... 11669.html

Is this audio-only or video as well? I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to make it to the game.

I sure hope this is video, because I can't make the game! U. S. Marine sponsorship-it ought to be video!

Thankyou for finally putting up something worth reading Papa Chaos, I was just curious is this about Maryville V. Alcoa football, or who has the best photoshop software??

We fight over everything here in Blount County...don't get us started on who's better at photoshop :wacko:

I have it on good authority that at least 40% of the kids in Alcoa's computer classes are not licensed to use the graphics software there anyway and are doing so illegally...kidding, kidding!! Geez!

LOL, Alcoa was always up on the technology, I remember watching the Alcoa Channel when I was a kid...where is that creek they go to every year??? Anyway, yeah people in Blount County fight over everything including if the Library or the Taco Bell are really in Maryville or Alcoa, I'm in Nashville now so I must watch the live stream, and if it doesn't work I am going to be P.O.'ed.

P.S. Shout out to all the HS football fans who have been posting on messegeboards since Chip Carillo and TNPreps.com, hi truerebelplaya!!!!!!!!

It is pouring buckets here on the coast as well...Like many I will have to watch it on line.

The streak dies tonight!

F5- 21

Evil Empire- 17

Evil Empire, HAHA, when I was a kid I alway cheered for Cobra Commando, Master Shredder, and Gargamel, so I'll roll with the Evil Empire just for ish and giggles.