New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Time to shut off taking applications and decide. Job has been posted for @ two months, plenty of time to get everyone in who is seriously interested in the job. With over 60 applications there must be someone there who is capable. I would hope the new coach would be in place by end February at the latest, so he could evaluate talent, jump start the weight room and execute a good spring practice. Getting a new coach is only half the battle though, its time for the School Administration to step up and support this program, and yes that means funding. The weight room equipment needs upgrading for starters, and a good starting budget needs to be in place for the new coach. IF we have a good team and get back to playing Oak Ridge Football, and thus filling the stands, this money will come back to them and also help fund other sports that do not make money. Step Up School Board, we need more then $300 for weight room equipment this year!!! Also, money will be saved by the schedule alone, gone are those long road trips to Bradley, Ooltewah, Soddy and Kingsport, and gas is down (hopefully will stay reasonable by football season) so here is a golden opportunity to invest in the program and get returns with the new coach in charge. Let's go!!!

Re: Funding, I am not sure when all of the renovations ended but I am sure looking forward into the future money will be tight RE: Sports for a while, that is just my guess ... I have seen the weight room in the last two years & I think we will be fine.

We still can get the job done with what we have. I don't think they need fancy equipment to stay in shape, if we get the right man in there he will do with what he has.

I will disagree with you RE: how much time it is taking to hire someone, I feel that this time they are doing the right thing. I feel that giving every

qualified coach who is even considering applying time to get their app will be a good thing in the end.

As David says, this is just a guess.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the weightroom. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have the "weightroom feel" anymore, it feels like you're working out in the Rush. The old one was dark and smelly while the new one is wide open and bright. It's still effective though, all the equipment is good quality and well taken care of.

The absolute latest you should have your coach in place is May 1st. We won't wait that long but they're going to take their time. There's absolutely no reason to rush and hire the wrong guy.

Hmmm, a voice of reason.

I am just saying that the new coach will need time to do the things I mentioned above...I have seen the weight room too, and I know the last time any volume of new equipment was bought for it was 1996, and coaches will tell you if you ask them that it needs upgrading (via funding), usually the support clubs do this, but right now, they too are down, so some funding on this should be available, and also, the weight room is for all sports, not just football, so the funding would not just be for football. I agree with being thorough, but they don't have unlimited time. Jobs posted in the working world usually only stay up a week or two and are usually filled the first of the next working month. Also, there are a lot of kids not hitting the weight room because they say they are waiting on the new head coach, even though they need to be doing that regardless. At least put a notice out that applications being taken will stop say in another week, so those sitting on the fence will either apply or not. I don't have a clue who they will hire, and its not my job to guess, but they need to do it in time for the new guy to get on board and have a good spring practice. You also have to think about assistants, depending on how many of the current assistants stay on, how many teaching positions are available that fit etc. The new head coach will need to have input there, to get who he wants, if he can get any at all. One thing to remember, you can be as thorough as you can, but it remains with the individual who is hired as to how good he will be, so there is always some luck of the draw on that.

I am just saying that the new coach will need time to do the things I mentioned above...I have seen the weight room too, and I know the last time any volume of new equipment was bought for it was 1996, and coaches will tell you if you ask them that it needs upgrading (via funding), usually the support clubs do this, but right now, they too are down, so some funding on this should be available, and also, the weight room is for all sports, not just football, so the funding would not just be for football. I agree with being thorough, but they don't have unlimited time. Jobs posted in the working world usually only stay up a week or two and are usually filled the first of the next working month. Also, there are a lot of kids not hitting the weight room because they say they are waiting on the new head coach, even though they need to be doing that regardless. At least put a notice out that applications being taken will stop say in another week, so those sitting on the fence will either apply or not. I don't have a clue who they will hire, and its not my job to guess, but they need to do it in time for the new guy to get on board and have a good spring practice. You also have to think about assistants, depending on how many of the current assistants stay on, how many teaching positions are available that fit etc. The new head coach will need to have input there, to get who he wants, if he can get any at all. One thing to remember, you can be as thorough as you can, but it remains with the individual who is hired as to how good he will be, so there is always some luck of the draw on that.

I hear you. I hope it's not true about the players just sitting around waiting for the new coach to come in, If I were an assistant, especially a coordinator... I would make sure the lead is out, remember, you don't need a title to be a leader.

I'm not saying the weightroom couldn't or shouldn't be uprgaded, because yeah they're using the equipment we used a long time ago, but I don't think it should be high on the list of priorities.

That is true about kids waiting on the new coach. The ones who really care about their bodies still go to The Rush or NFC but the ones who don't are just hanging out, waiting. I think Track should be starting soon so I hope some of them get out there and either throw or run.

I'm not saying the weightroom couldn't or shouldn't be uprgaded, because yeah they're using the equipment we used a long time ago, but I don't think it should be high on the list of priorities.

That is true about kids waiting on the new coach. The ones who really care about their bodies still go to The Rush or NFC but the ones who don't are just hanging out, waiting. I think Track should be starting soon so I hope some of them get out there and either throw or run.

I would like to hear from the assistants about what they are doing to" encourage "players to hit the weight room.