Big 9 Baseball

tricitiessportsfan

Going into the District tournament I would have to say Dobyns Bennett has probably the deepest staff of pitchers in the field with 5 . 4 of them being seniors, and 2 of them picking up a good rythum just at the right time .

Excuse me , all 4 of the seniors seem to throwing it good , and 2 of them , not as well known, seem to be hitting their stride as the season has come to a close .

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me , all 4 of the seniors seem to throwing it good , and 2 of them , not as well known, seem to be hitting their stride as the season has come to a close .

DB glasses on. Take em off. You have 2 maybe 3 pitchers. And those 2 have not beat top teams. Who are your 5 great. Can't add one that lost to #9 Volunteer for sure.

Going into the District tournament I would have to say Dobyns Bennett has probably the deepest staff of pitchers in the field with 5 . 4 of them being seniors, and 2 of them picking up a good rythum just at the right time .

Excuse me , there Mayor of Hootersville Hawkins Co. Db ain't got 4 pitchers on the whole team.

And if your boy can't hit a home run without the help of the outfielders glove kocking it over the fence than he needs to go back to Db. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Excuse me , there Mayor of Hootersville Hawkins Co. Db ain't got 4 pitchers on the whole team.

And if your boy can't hit a home run without the help of the outfielders glove kocking it over the fence than he needs to go back to Db. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Ha, Ha, Ha, Get your facts straight /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I enjoy reading all of the posts, etc regarding the Big 9 but let's quit dogging the pitchers/players that you think aren't "worthy". There are alot of talented baseball players at all schools and all grades in this area and let's promote instead of criticizing these kids.... You have to remember when talking about these pitchers that there are 3-5 years difference in some of these pitchers sitting on the same varsity team. Hard to compare a 14-15 year old to a 18-19 year old throwing 90 + miles per hour. The negative posts are being read by the players in this area as well and at their expense as how would you like to read about yourself as a 15-16 year old and it all be negative. Let's promote these baseball players in this area as most of them are fine young men and good baseball players! They wouldn't be sitting on a varsity team (in most cases) if they weren't worthy. Look how many of the kids in this area are going on to play college baseball! The competition in the Big 9 this year shows how many good players we have in this area!

It seems odd that Science Hill seems to have more pitching than everybody else. It seems like most teams have one good pitcher, but Sciene Hill has three or four. I would suspect that with the county schools, but not with Dobyns Bennett and Tennessee High.

It may just be a cycle, but from what I have seen in the JV and freshman games, there seems to be very little strong pitching in the pipeline for teams other than Science Hill. Tennessee High has a left hander named Heath and a right hander named O'dell that look pretty good, and Boone and Crockett have some fair pitching but not a lot of depth.

Although, Science Hill doesn't have a dominant junior or sophmore group of pitchers other than Daniel Norris, I believe it is going to be hard to get all the freshman pitchers enough work over the next few years. Three of the freshman are throwing in the mid to high seventies which means that they will probably be throwing in low to mid eighties next year. There are four other pitchers that throw well and would be an asset to most other teams in the area. More impressively, most of them throw strikes. On top of that, there is a rising eight grader coming through Indian Trail that looks pretty tough.

Gabby,

I think you're on to something with your post. The key word here is "pipeline". A coach has to have a pipeline of pitchers coming in the ranks or he's sunk like a rock on down the road. Some coaches know this and try to work with the middle school levels to see what's coming for them. Others pick one or two good pitchers, elevate them for success and then work that same plan every two years. Science Hill definitley has a good travel program for younger toppers and then their feeder programs are good too. Boone works the young guys in and respects their older pitchers on the team. Krantz definitely has a good pitcher in Harmon but he just doesn't have much else to work with as Roberts and Hyden graduate. DB is strong and Ritz has been to the State before with success. Volunteer is working to strengthen their pitching staff in the next couple of years and East will have to do the same. South has their ace and maybe one or two more but that's it. They seem to use up what they have and hope more comes along. Short-sited coaching there. My money is on DB or the Hill. I love my Pats but this might not be their year. If not, I really like either DB or SH. Both quality programs, good coaching, and careful treatment of their thoroughbreds. Strong work ethic and desire to win. Boone might be the sleeper here. Just my opinion. BBfan09, you state a good point too. The kids in the area are great players and the lack of success in some cases comes with coaching. For example, 3 DB guys signed yesterday for their college years. Now that staff looks our for their boys even AFTER graduation. Other coaches tell their kids at the beginning of each year that their job is NOT to get scholarships so if they want one good luck they're on their own! That shows us the difference in the maturity of coaching staffs.

Ha, Ha, Ha, Get your facts straight /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sorry peden,I thought that was your dad. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> sweep them cowpatties out of the dugout and get ready for next year. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

South has their ace and maybe one or two more but that's it. They seem to use up what they have and hope more comes along. Short-sited coaching there.

Bobby was a great elementary & middle school lefty pitcher--- threw hard & fast, hard hitter, fast runner--- but A didn't seem to have any interest in nurturing his ability. It's possible they could use another lefty pitcher in the rotation to spot a few of the star pitchers from time to time. Cline would have def used him and planned ahead. Short-sited coaching there?

Whatever, Stacy got the best end of that deal. I miss C Cline baseball, but I'm showing my age. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

B Mama

I have also seen some good talent at the varsity level, but I thought that SH's freshmen pitching staff was stronger and deeper than many of the JV and other Freshman teams that I saw. I even think that the SH freshman pitching staff was stronger than the SH JV staff. Maybe this is daddy ball, but I tend to be a pretty honest judge of talent. Moreover, the SH freshmen pitched most of the JV games.

I also thought that the Freshman pitched ok against Bearden's JV team, but Bearden's team was so much more fundamentally sound than SH. That is really discouraging! They fielded better and hit the ball better.

Perhaps one reason that I haven't seen some of the better, younger pitchers is that many of them may be playing varsity. Having grown up in a large city with 4-AAAA high schools in the city surrounded by a relatively rural area, I know that players in county schools had more opportunities to play varsity sooner. Overall, I would like for the talent in the area to be high. That makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Bobby was a great elementary & middle school lefty pitcher--- threw hard & fast, hard hitter, fast runner--- but A didn't seem to have any interest in nurturing his ability. It's possible they could use another lefty pitcher in the rotation to spot a few of the star pitchers from time to time. Cline would have def used him and planned ahead. Short-sited coaching there?

Whatever, Stacy got the best end of that deal. I miss C Cline baseball, but I'm showing my age. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

B Mama

I suppose I'll show my age too, BTMom, but I am familiar with the Cline Era and that was a class act. As others on this board have stated I too see a move up of younger kids to the varsity level too soon. If the younger ones were left to be successful on JV, they wouldn't be sitting the bench on varisty or taking jr and sr positions. Coaches know that will kill the heart of a team quicker than anything. That being said, if you intelligently bring up some younger ones to gain a little experience every now and again that would make the team stronger. I know some teams work that way. I have heard of your son in football and hear that great things are coming from him this year. My neighbor up here works at eastman and has relatives going to south. From what I'm told, that coach A does not nurture his players. He tends to set one or two up as his "stars" and then sets some others up for failure. Many of his good kids quit because they don't want to put up with the daily cussings or unfairness he displays. My neighbor thinks he played for Mr. Cline but evidenlty he missed some of the most valuable lessons. I'd say the football coach DID get the best end of that deal. Many people forget, the kids are what's important and we always tried to get scholarships for ours. Ritz does that as does Krantz. That's what it's all about--being good role models for these young men.

Sorry peden,I thought that was your dad. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> sweep them cowpatties out of the dugout and get ready for next year. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

No problem E.T. Don't mine saying who I am . It is his Dad . Peden would never get on here , or anywhere else for that matter and say anything negative or downgrading about anybody or anything . He never has , and I'd say he never will .