Question? Seniority vs Talent

motherof24

How does someone with seniority and talent that was a starter for 2 years overcome no playing time because of politics?

i didnt see anything about the kid with seniority being a 2 year starter, and even still thats not politics if a freshman comes in and is better than the senior. I think starting should be decided on a year by year basis in the case of this topic. just because you started as a junior doesnt automatically mean you should be the starter as a senior

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is such a thing as politics in high school sports. I do not think it is the norm, but it does exist. It has existed in a boys program I am very familiar with for over 10 years now. I wonder if that is why they seem to have talent year end and year out, but continue to have losing seasons. Like I say, not the norm, but it does exist.

It's your coach's decision. Just be patient. Your kid will play soon enough.

Um... Wasn't talking about my kid.....One thing i've learned dealing with AAU is patients.

I do think those who do play AAU has the advantage over those who just play school ball.

The girls who are playing AAU and school ball are basically playing all year round, which is good

for them. Just my opinion...... Thanks for all the input!

This is a good response. The question seems to be taken by some as asking if freshman should be given starting roles over an upperclassman. At this point in girls basketball, with AAU play and off season workouts and with there being some very developed, in size, players showing up on the scene, Freshman or Sophmore post players have a giood chance and might decidedly be better athletically. "Just be patient, its your coach's decision si definitely the right step. If a schools talent level is down and an underclassman comes in playing like a sophmore or junior, the same answer is still there. "Be patient, your kid will play soon enough" and will be better for it. A strong bench is needed in every school.

I have noticed a common thread on all teams that make it to the level of State Championship.....they all have great players sitting on the bench that would START on most all other teams,some are young and talented some are older with more experence,yet there they are sitting on the bench waiting to make their mark on the game. That mark is crutial on teams that are going to do well in close important games. You are going to see it both ways. It is a long season with lots of chances to prove oneself for the battle of minutes played..... So wait it out and just leave it to the coach.

We've had a middle school program at Lake Co that hasn't lost but about 1 game in two years..And are undefeated at middle school again this year..A couple pollsters told everyone about a couple freshmen , T.T.Flowers and Carnation Hart ..Especially T.T. Flowers.. Most Lake Co people thought because of them, Lake Co may be one of the top teams in District 14A..Most people that know basketball has Lake Co coming in 5th because they thought Lake Co and T.T.Flowers and company were too young..Lake Co has a senior that was picked as on of the pre season top 15 players by On The Ball magazine before the season started...Not only is T.T. starting as a freshman,but I believe she's the best player on the Lake Co team now..T.T has struggled at times..but is probably the fastest player in District 14A..!I haven't seen Humboldt yet and heard they are very quick..But T.T. has done a great job and just a freshman...We've had players that started as freshmen and I thought...They're going to reallygood when they're juniors or seniors and for some reason..ended up not playing as well as as they did the first two years..!I say talent over seniority

No question....go with talent, especially by tournament time. You may be able to work talented young players in slowly through the season, but by tourney time they should have enough experience to out play their more senior and experienced teammates. The older players can still play a vital role, but their starting positions should be long gone and their playing time reduced.

I like seniority and experience espcially in distirct play ...I do think the young talent should get plenty of playing time but late in 4th QTR i like experience

Talent over senority definatley but then yea there is a certain amount of experience that a starter needs to be benificail.. There are alot of freshman who are considered better or more talented than upperclassmen, but all freshmen will make freshman mistakes; and learning from those mistakes is what experience is. So really there whould be a balance depending on your team. Ultimatley its the coach's call.

Talent is not always the answer. Sometimes those with "talent" think that because they have talent they don't have to put as much work in and with some coaches that might be ok, but other coaches will reward hard work and hustle. I think both should see their fair share of playing time but as a few of you have already noted, starting is not everything. Bench players play can contribute just as much, and sometimes more than those who do start. Some coaches may not even start all their best players as part of strategy so that they don't have a drop off in level of play when they have to substitute and team chemistry can also play a role in who the coach chooses to play. In the end it is the coach's decision whether you agree or disagree.