Did Riverdale cheat?

MIDTN

I'm glad you were their to hear all this or is this coming from your daughter. Again, nothing but hear-say out of you whinners. Are you from IHS, I know nothing of them complaining to the TSSAA about recruiting violations (since some of these players left them). Look, I'm not even in Rutherford county or have a dog in the hunt or know anyone involved. But, I'll say this--get with the program. Parents are going to send their child to the best programs if they are any good. I WILL TOO WHEN MY DAUGHTER (7) AND SON (5) ARE OLD ENOUGH. Right now they are young and I want them to enjoy that time, but if they want to be good then I'll make sure they're on a good team and have a coach push them. Not you whinners who complain and back nothing up. Yes I know recruiting goes on, but you better prove it first before throwing people under the bus. Unless you heard this yourself, it is just hear-say.

Nothing in that post is hearsay, everything stated as fact is fact. What is not known or proven is whether rules were broken, never insinuated they were or weren't. Many people can verify the statements i made. It looks like you have a parent(s) who for whatever reasons got ticked at the coach, perhaps their child lost playing time due to the transfers, and decided to get back at the coach by threatening to turn her into the TSSAA. If so probably made the situation worse by going to the police, but again this is speculation. However, if she did bend the rules she might be in trouble.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"DOUBLE WOW" THESE ARE SOME PRETTY SHARP ACCUSATIONS BEING MADE W/O HAVING ALL THE FACTS COMPILED BY THE SCHOOL AND TSSAA. TRUE IT MAY BE BUT, BRINGING THE MTSU PROGRAM INTO IT W/O SPECIFICS NOT COOL. IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH THIS WILL TURN OUT TRAGIC OR BE PASSED OFF AS NOTHING, EITHER WAY IT HAS STARTED TALK THAT WILL NOT LEAVE THEM FOR THE REST OF THIS SEASON AND MAYBE A FEW TO COME.

I said if!..........I do agree with alot of what keepinitreal is saying. Alot of us have watched some crazy things go down but didnt have any physical evidence so nothing is ever done.

I bet after all is finished here it will be the same story......Its just so hard to prove these kind of allegations and almost impossible to prove recruiting violations on so many levels.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a parent doing whats best for there kids.....I was just saying if you have 2 players living with the coach and it can be proven it needs to be red flagged!!!!!

Bona Fide Change of Residence ??“ A move from one community to another that justifies a change of schools. Where a family continues to maintain a previous residence for the residential purposes of that family or any of its members, the move is not one that justifies a change of schools for purposes of the TSSAA Bylaws.

This is taken directly from the TSSAA hand book. This has been consistently ruled to mean that, if the player in question's family still has utilities in thier name at thier previous house, it is not a "bona fide " move. Just ask Cheatham Co. They had a player that was determined to be maintaining two houses in 04/05. As you can see on this site, they had to forfeit the first 21 games and the player was ineligible for the rest of the season. It doesn't take long to clear a player or thier family. So if this drags out it is not a good sign for Riverdale. It does however, take the TSSAA a while to muster the courage to make a call. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

Define the rule that has been broken please? No one has defined what rule has been broken. Right now it is all allegations. It is not a rule violation for a player to transfer school systems to follow a coach they adore. Given that, parents will need to go through the proper channels or move into that school zone. If the parents contacted the coach about this move, no rule has been broken because the parents had started the communication process between coach/parent/student. This only changes and is wrong if the players are living with coach at this point. That's a big question mark or is that the case. If the girls are living in zone and have a legit address, there is no violation. Again, what is the problem here. Disgrunted parents possible, rules violation possible, but what are the facts.

You are correct. If there has not been a bona fide change of residence with the players from Independence, then they are in violation of the rules. They cannot live with the coach unless the coach is their official guardian. Otherwise, this constitutes a dual residence and they are ineligible.

http://dnj.com/article/20090114/SPORTS/90114066/1006

the people who turned her in are the parents of a girl that was kicked off the team

so the parents or just trying to mess with the coach

Everyone ever caught is caught this way. Contrary to popular belief, the TSSAA does not have investigaters. They rightly assume that displaced players will rat out cheaters.

Personally without knowing the facts, but just using plain old common sense......why would any coach break an obvious rule (like having the girls live with her...like no one is going to find that out? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" ) and jeopardize not only her career but the whole season of her team....seems kind of farfetched......in my VERY humble opinion. But who knows.....strange things happen in the quest to win games in high school sports.....either way best wishes to the team as they deal with these allegations.......

If the girls parents moved to that school zone and bought a house or rented an apartment and shut off all their utilities at their previous residence they are legal.

If they pay tuition or if their is no tuition and the parents don't move, they must sit out a year to the date.

Coaches cannot provide transportation or living quarters for athletes.

It has already been lost in court, Coaches getting custody. Jefferson County 1982 Cornbread Maxwell (NBA) 6'10 African American was adopted by the JC Boys BB coach. Later in court when he contested the forfeit of freshman FB and varsity BB games. He said he loved the boy. The Judge asked coach if he would love the boy as much if he was 5'5 and white. Still a big laugh among us old timers up here in the boonies.

Let the TSSAA do their research and let nature take it's course.

Bona Fide Change of Residence ??“ A move from one community to another that justifies a change of schools. Where a family continues to maintain a previous residence for the residential purposes of that family or any of its members, the move is not one that justifies a change of schools for purposes of the TSSAA Bylaws.

This is taken directly from the TSSAA hand book. This has been consistently ruled to mean that, if the player in question's family still has utilities in thier name at thier previous house, it is not a "bona fide " move. Just ask Cheatham Co. They had a player that was determined to be maintaining two houses in 04/05. As you can see on this site, they had to forfeit the first 21 games and the player was ineligible for the rest of the season. It doesn't take long to clear a player or thier family. So if this drags out it is not a good sign for Riverdale. It does however, take the TSSAA a while to muster the courage to make a call. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

Another question then, on the night Riverdale played Oakland at RHS, the lady Warriors basically had an open house for all of their feeder school programs to come into their locker room and eat pizza, drink cokes, etc. When they invited all of the girls from McFadden, some of those players do not live in the Riverdale zone. Is this legal or would this be considered recruiting?

This whole matter is very concerning. In Rutherford Couty, the zoning allegations start at the political level which was recently evidenced with zoning allegations against a State Representative. These allegations filter down into the high schools (not JUST Riverdale) and are rumored at the middle school level in that county. I do wish that parents would take a good, long look at the ethics involved in these situations. WHY WOULD PARENTS EVER PLACE THEIR CHILDREN IN THE POSITION TO LIE ABOUT ZONE AND RESIDENCE? The lesson they seem to be teaching is that rules do not apply to them . . . they are just made for others. As a result of these infractions, if proven true, many high school and middle school players can be adversely affected, and their hard work for the season could possibly be forfeited. Wake up parents and coaches who know their players are out of zone. Play by the rules, and do what is right for the sake of the kids and the team's future. Riverdale is a great school and has a great basketball tradition. Hopefully, for the sake of the players, they will be cleared and the team will continue their success. GO WARRIORS!!!

Haven got to know coach Maxwell this poster will give the benefit of dought over to her knowledge and previous experience. Until the facts are in, it does appear the player that left or really her parents are causing alot of stink. Don't understand how parents would choose this route when as written earlier this will more than likely back fire and make life hard for the next chapter with this student/athelete. Its sad to think when little (insert name of choice) parents get disgruntled because for what ever reason playing time has decreased we begin throwing knives at the once coach we thought could do no wrong.