Did Riverdale cheat?

MIDTN

Another question then, on the night Riverdale played Oakland at RHS, the lady Warriors basically had an open house for all of their feeder school programs to come into their locker room and eat pizza, drink cokes, etc. When they invited all of the girls from McFadden, some of those players do not live in the Riverdale zone. Is this legal or would this be considered recruiting?

Recruiting /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question then, on the night Riverdale played Oakland at RHS, the lady Warriors basically had an open house for all of their feeder school programs to come into their locker room and eat pizza, drink cokes, etc. When they invited all of the girls from McFadden, some of those players do not live in the Riverdale zone. Is this legal or would this be considered recruiting?

Recruiting Rule

Section 17. The use of undue influence on a student (with or without an athletic record), the parents or guardians of a student by any person connected, or not connected, with the school to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes shall be a violation of the recruiting rule.

You be the judge.

I would think this would be legal. You said they invited all girls from McFadden. I'm assuming a jr. hgih school; therefore, all girls who attend the school are entitled to listen on behalf of the open house information. Those girls can either attend or not attend. As far as attending the Riverdale game (openhouse), the parents can then approach the coaches and ask questions. Since the parents went or approached them, all is legal. Then it would be up to family to move to proper zone or get zone exemption. Could be wrong, but I've heard this junk for years and TSSAA just turns their back because they can't police it legally.

I would think this would be legal. You said they invited all girls from McFadden. I'm assuming a jr. hgih school; therefore, all girls who attend the school are entitled to listen on behalf of the open house information. Those girls can either attend or not attend. As far as attending the Riverdale game (openhouse), the parents can then approach the coaches and ask questions. Since the parents went or approached them, all is legal. Then it would be up to family to move to proper zone or get zone exemption. Could be wrong, but I've heard this junk for years and TSSAA just turns their back because they can't police it legally.

No MIDTN is right you can't talk to a kid or there parents untill the kid is enrolled in at school

It is wrong to place the blame for this situation, that may or may not arise, on a disgruntled player. If it turns out to be true, would not all of the players, who have been in the program since middle school and are currently on the team be the first to feel cheated? They have the real first claim. Those who have played against the team will get a forfit win in the event cheating took place. They will be vindicated....but what about the hard work and sweat of the girls who have given 5 or 6 years to a program and now are not playing and eventually will forfit all of their games. The players who are not seniors will have some type of penalty and this could effect their future years of basketball at the school.

Disgruntled?

Darn right...and if this type stuff is going on at your school you should report it.

Who wants to win if you have to cheat to do it.

If the allegations prove true, the coach should be disbarred from TSSAA comp, and the administratiors fired.

Here is the question that begs an answer. What are the odds, that not one but two families whose girls played for Independence last year, made a "bona fide" move to Riverdale with the coach? That is to say, that both families just happened to decide to uproot from Williamson County and move to Rutherford County for "non basketball" reasons at the same time, in the same year that thier coach moved. Maybe they found Williamson County schools to be lacking, maybe they all got new jobs and instantly found buyers for thier homes in this "great market", or maybe it is exactly what it looks like. My money is on the last one. Any time a player migrates to a school it makes you wonder, legal or not. Two at the same time is highly questionable and should be looked into. Two players from seperate families with thier coach is beyond belief. Sorry Riverdale,I think you done it.

Haven got to know coach Maxwell this poster will give the benefit of dought over to her knowledge and previous experience. Until the facts are in, it does appear the player that left or really her parents are causing alot of stink. Don't understand how parents would choose this route when as written earlier this will more than likely back fire and make life hard for the next chapter with this student/athelete. Its sad to think when little (insert name of choice) parents get disgruntled because for what ever reason playing time has decreased we begin throwing knives at the once coach we thought could do no wrong.

Unless one knows the facts, it seems to me that assuming that the parents of the former player are guilty of wrongdoing or the coach is guilty of wrongdoing is the same assumption. One is no better than the other. Isn't it funny how one assumes toward the direction they want the outcome to be. Time will tell. I find it hard to believe that parents would go to this degree to harm a coach with baseless allegations. I also find it hard to believe that a good coach would willfully violate rules as well. But as we all know, we have seen stranger things. Lets hope the truth comes clear and that as little damage to the innocent occurs as possible. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The way I understand it, Riverdale would forfeit games but their opponents would not be credited with wins. It would just be as if the games were not played. This is a new rule but it could cause problems when determining district tournament brackets, etc.

Imagine that Indian, players transfering to another school. I'm sure glad that doesnt happen around our neck of the woods!! LOL!!!!! and we both know the ones in our area.....

Haven got to know coach Maxwell this poster will give the benefit of dought over to her knowledge and previous experience. Until the facts are in, it does appear the player that left or really her parents are causing alot of stink. Don't understand how parents would choose this route when as written earlier this will more than likely back fire and make life hard for the next chapter with this student/athelete. Its sad to think when little (insert name of choice) parents get disgruntled because for what ever reason playing time has decreased we begin throwing knives at the once coach we thought could do no wrong.

Ur prolly right - why would anyone - especially disgruntled parents - make up such an idiotic story - surely they did not know anything about it when the transfer/recruits began playing for new coach and new team at start of season - yeah whole thing made up.

No MIDTN is right you can't talk to a kid or there parents untill the kid is enrolled in at school

Sorry Oh Great One, TSSAA cleared this up a few years ago. If the event is part of an open house, and the athletic facilities are not used, no foul. It's ok to give them a tour of the facility,which is available to any one in the general public by contacting the school. Now if they let the visiting middle school kids shoot around with the current team, or allowed them the use of the weight room then it is a violation. Came up about open houses at the end of boys soccer season a few years ago. If the school, coach, team or booster club denies entry to anyone, then it is not considered an open house.