District 10 A

CAsports5

That's a shame that it has come to that level in McEwen as far as baseball is concerned... Baseball hasn't been the premier sport for a long time, but to just plain give up at the end of the season with only a few games left is pitiful... I am by no means a baseball junky but I this result might be because... 1)coaching, but I don't know who it is this year... and 2)the more extensive reason... the feeder program isn't that great... McEwen has always been competitive in little league up until about the 11-12 age group then alot of them quit and decide to do something else... I think that if McEwen really wants to see a change at the high school level they will need to get a coach (no idea who, prefereably someone who doesn't already have ties to the school and doesn't just coach for the money or popularity) and then find a way to keep the kids interested in ball from the bigger little league thru jr high... The feeder system couldn't be better setup (unless private) all kids that live in the area go to McEwen, McEwen is a K-12 campus so if your a coach you can make an impression on the kids from Kindegarden up (and this statement goes for every sports coach, teacher, and administrator...

Someone needs to get this under control... McEwen is always been fairly competitive (not as sucessful as they often should have been) in several sports with a few great athletes and classes coming out... I don't really know what's happening... possibly parents, kids, coaches, admin, etc...???

There is no reason to give up on a season... Unexcusable and I don't know what the rule is but the coach (whoever he/she is) shouldn't get the % tacked on to their salary...

These words are from a true McEwen supporter...

very good post. Its the love of the game that keeps people wanting to play i guess thats just not instilled into these kids..... but to the post about the tourement yea both NCS and CA have a by

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with finding a coach to instill discipline and a love for the game. I played for NCS when we were nothing more than a cake walk, but after Coach Anderson came and showed it was his way or the highway kid's got interested in ball. As history shows, NCS has now won 4 district season titles and multiple sub-state appearences. I give tons of credit to Coach Fruc, to take over where Coach Anderson left off with intense scheduling and really putting NCS on the map as a top tier baseball team. Once again I cant agree more with the idea of the feeder system. Granted NCS has the oppurtunity to have kid's transfer and help out (i.e. Darren King, Jarrett Anderson, etc,) but it was the desire for the kid's to achieve greatness additionally with the success we have had over the last 5 years that has really helped continue successful senior class after senior class. My senior year Wesley McDowell stepped up then Darren King, now Woody and Cody Hartley. As long as we keep feeding the system and with great coaching NCS should be a competitive team. With all that being said I must applaud district 10a from where it has came from. From the early 2000's it was a district with one decent team: Davidson, and now there are multiple teams stepping up.( i.e. East Robertson, Jo Byrns, CA, and NCS) but this is not to recognize the strides of other teams. Either way I will always have fond memories of stepping on the field representing 10a. Good luck to all teams, but with slight bias GO EAGLES!!!

It also doesn't hurt that we (D10) don't have to play DA, Ezell, DCA, FRA, CPA, and Goodpasture in the postseason in any sport anymore... that region use to be unreal tough (keep in mind 1A) to do anything with... softball, baseball, basketball, football, you name it... good luck getting out of there...

It also doesn't hurt that we (D10) don't have to play DA, Ezell, DCA, FRA, CPA, and Goodpasture in the postseason in any sport anymore... that region use to be unreal tough (keep in mind 1A) to do anything with... softball, baseball, basketball, football, you name it... good luck getting out of there...

ncs has already beaten CPA this year so this really does not matter.

ncs has already beaten CPA this year so this really does not matter.

Wow, you have beaten one out of those SIX teams. Yes it DOES matter whether you play them every season or once in a blue moon. You can pick and choose your regular season games, but you cannot avoid those teams in the post season in AA. You guys want NO part of the Goodpastures and Lipscombs pal. I know your team and I know theirs. No comparison.

Wow, you have beaten one out of those SIX teams. Yes it DOES matter whether you play them every season or once in a blue moon. You can pick and choose your regular season games, but you cannot avoid those teams in the post season in AA. You guys want NO part of the Goodpastures and Lipscombs pal. I know your team and I know theirs. No comparison.

Well considering that they were going to try to play lipcomb and the two teams just could not get the times together and trust me the NCS players are not scared of any team and love the challange of those teams. the last couple of times that they have played teams like lipscomb and Goodpasture(i.e. 05 when Goodpasture won the state they were only up by 1 run goin in to the 6 in the first round of region, last year lipscomb scrimaged NCS and they won 6 to 5 so why would NCS be scared?) they have held there own. i would say the same about the team that CA has. it is fun to play a team that challenges you and you know the players on the teams. so all that stuff that they would not want any part of them is crap. oh and by the way im not your PAL either. so get your facts straight! before you talk trash!

That's a shame that it has come to that level in McEwen as far as baseball is concerned... Baseball hasn't been the premier sport for a long time, but to just plain give up at the end of the season with only a few games left is pitiful... I am by no means a baseball junky but I this result might be because... 1)coaching, but I don't know who it is this year... and 2)the more extensive reason... the feeder program isn't that great... McEwen has always been competitive in little league up until about the 11-12 age group then alot of them quit and decide to do something else... I think that if McEwen really wants to see a change at the high school level they will need to get a coach (no idea who, prefereably someone who doesn't already have ties to the school and doesn't just coach for the money or popularity) and then find a way to keep the kids interested in ball from the bigger little league thru jr high... The feeder system couldn't be better setup (unless private) all kids that live in the area go to McEwen, McEwen is a K-12 campus so if your a coach you can make an impression on the kids from Kindegarden up (and this statement goes for every sports coach, teacher, and administrator...

Someone needs to get this under control... McEwen is always been fairly competitive (not as sucessful as they often should have been) in several sports with a few great athletes and classes coming out... I don't really know what's happening... possibly parents, kids, coaches, admin, etc...???

There is no reason to give up on a season... Unexcusable and I don't know what the rule is but the coach (whoever he/she is) shouldn't get the % tacked on to their salary...

These words are from a true McEwen supporter...

It's a shame to hear about McEwen baseball. I saw them play a couple of games this year and it was not very good. It appeared that most of the kids were just out there to have a uniform on and didn't really care a lot about baseball. I don't believe it's coaching there because their current coach, Coach Rachford I believe, was there once before and they were competitive. They have also been competitive under Coach Phil Ross in years past. I think that Coach Rachford has a good knowledge of the game and the other coaches in the District would back that up. It is also my understanding that he has no school ties (not a teacher and doesn't have a child play) and no one does it for the money. The supplement in baseball is so little at a public school that you spend more than you make in time off work and gas money.

However, baseball does not appear to be a priority in McEwen, from the administration on down. And until kids care about more than just showing up with a uniform on it doesn't matter what kind of talent you have. Baseball like all other sports takes time, effort and discipline. You cannot pick up the mitt and bat two weeks before the season after having dropped it after your last high school game. You have to work at it to become good. From what I have heard from others in the McEwen area is the kids don't put much into baseball except maybe a weak rec ball schedule and that's all they do. When you play CA and NCS, whose kids are going to work at baseball just like others do football and basketball, you are not going to compete.

I have heard around 10A that McEwen had kids not wanting to practice on a regular basis and skipping games/practice to participate in other activities. If that is true then it is no wonder the program is in shambles. Baseball has to be a priority to be competitive! (I'll bet no kids would miss football or basketball for other activities!) My understanding is that McEwen had to drop out of the tournament because they didn't have enough players to play because some players quit/were let go and/or had other things to do. If that's is true then that goes back to the kids and the parents!

Either way it is a shame because at the "little league level", McEwen is competitive. But once they get into school ball in recent past the school affiliated programs are not very good and they should be. But if the administration doesn't support the sport it is never going to get any better. You also have to have kids who want to play baseball, just not be on the field.

As for NCS and CA, I believe they are both legitimate baseball programs. The CPA team that NCS beat has been on a little roll and is a pretty decent baseball team. I agree that it helps getting the alphabet schools out of 10A, but CA and NCS both play pretty good schedules trying to get ready for postseason. It doesn't appear that as they are currently situated, either of them would back away from competition.

Speaking of postseason, because of the rain have they shortened the district tournament to single elimination or is it double elimination?

It's still double elimination, it has just been squeezed closer together. NCS beat CA and East Rob eliminated JBS. East and CA will play an elimination game today at 4:30?, with the winner playing at 7 against NCS.

District 10A has been full of some great games this tournament!

Definitely NOT a let down from a fan's perspective.