Rwood Searching for New HC?

IndyNation

Worked their butts off at going and getting kids from every other metro school. How many players (not roster fillers, but players) were in the HB ergo Hillsboro zone? You think Scott Murray could have figured out something to do with Eric Gordon?

Dude you act like HHS football has 60 players of thoroughbreds that have come from other MNPS schools. They have some thoroughbreds and yes many come from other zones.

However, HHS isn't the only MNPS football team with elite athletes: Maplewood, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek, Antioch? They don't win like HHS does. HHS doesn't get all the best athletes to come play football for them. Do you really think they'd be that small on the O-line this past year if they did? Maplewood was FAR bigger on BOTH lines.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude you act like HHS football has 60 players of thoroughbreds that have come from other MNPS schools. They have some thoroughbreds and yes many come from other zones.

However, HHS isn't the only MNPS football team with elite athletes: Maplewood, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek, Antioch? They don't win like HHS does. HHS doesn't get all the best athletes to come play football for them. Do you really think they'd be that small on the O-line this past year if they did? Maplewood was FAR bigger on BOTH lines.

I can't speak for all of those teams, but I saw Antioch this year. Antioch's talent was a far cry from Hillsboro's. I also saw BA, MBA and Ensworth play this year. Hillsboro's talent was in, if not above, that category. The size of linemen in high school is not really an issue. Many teams have won big with smaller quicker linemen and that's exactly what Hillsboro had. Listen, I've said on here several times, I'm not trying to take anything away from what Hillsboro accomplished this year. I've been around high school football in this state for longer than I'd like to admit. Hillsboro was extremely talented this year. That's nothing to apologize for. However, there is no escaping the fact that metro has an incredibly uneven playing field right now. It's another in a long line of cases where decisions are made at the central office with not one shread of thought put into what it will mean for athletics. Hillsboro has a distinct advantage over the other metro schools. Not only are the other schools limited in who they can get, but they are losing players to Hillsboro and there is nothing they can do about it. Hillsboro was, essentially, a metro all-star team. It was also one of the fastest high school teams I've seen in a LONG time.

Ya'll just don't get it. Let me refer you to 2001 and 2002. Those HHS football teams were LOADED with talent. They had MULTIPLE all-state players on BOTH sides of the ball and the Mr. Football winners to boot. Guess what happened? Maryville with LESS talent and speed outcoached them TWICE.

You wanna talk about talented teams, HHS's 2008 wasn't anywhere close to the talent level of the aforementioned teams, but they had the grit, determination, coaching, heart, etc. to defeat Maryville. For crying out loud, the O-line had one player above 250 pounds and he wasn't even a starter.

YES 2008 HHS had more speed than Maryville....so did Melrose in 2004 and 2005, and even Maplewood in 2007. They lost. Maryville hasn't been winning with far superior athletes folks. They have been winning with superior coaching and by being the better TEAM. HHS in 2008 did the same thing, but with BETTER athletes.

AMEN

Ya'll just don't get it. Let me refer you to 2001 and 2002. Those HHS football teams were LOADED with talent. They had MULTIPLE all-state players on BOTH sides of the ball and the Mr. Football winners to boot. Guess what happened? Maryville with LESS talent and speed outcoached them TWICE.

You wanna talk about talented teams, HHS's 2008 wasn't anywhere close to the talent level of the aforementioned teams, but they had the grit, determination, coaching, heart, etc. to defeat Maryville. For crying out loud, the O-line had one player above 250 pounds and he wasn't even a starter.

YES 2008 HHS had more speed than Maryville....so did Melrose in 2004 and 2005, and even Maplewood in 2007. They lost. Maryville hasn't been winning with far superior athletes folks. They have been winning with superior coaching and by being the better TEAM. HHS in 2008 did the same thing, but with BETTER athletes.

Yes, they were loaded in 01 and 02. Not sure I'd say MHS was less talented. Again, I'm not arguing that Hillsboro's staff had nothing to do with them winning this year. My only point is that, compared to the other metro teams, they have an unfair advantage. The kids at Antioch live in Antioch, the kids at Stratford live in Inglewood, the kids at Overton live in Crieve Hall, the kids at Glencliff live in Woodbine. Where do the kids at Hillsboro live? Antioch, Woodbine, Crieve Hall, Inglewood, wherever they want to live. How many Hillsboro football players live in Green Hills?

Yes, they were loaded in 01 and 02. Not sure I'd say MHS was less talented. Again, I'm not arguing that Hillsboro's staff had nothing to do with them winning this year. My only point is that, compared to the other metro teams, they have an unfair advantage. The kids at Antioch live in Antioch, the kids at Stratford live in Inglewood, the kids at Overton live in Crieve Hall, the kids at Glencliff live in Woodbine. Where do the kids at Hillsboro live? Antioch, Woodbine, Crieve Hall, Inglewood, wherever they want to live. How many Hillsboro football players live in Green Hills?

I agree that HHS football has a distinct advantage over other MNPS schools by having open enrollment status for students. I have never denied this.

As I understand it, HHS has been required to have open enrollment due to their being the only MNPS high school with an International Baccalaureate program. The football program is one of the MANY areas HHS benefits as a whole from it's open enrollment status. However, also, HHS is the best high school in MNPS from an academic standpoint as well. Students want to come to HHS via open enrollment for many reasons. Absolutely, one of those reasons can be athletics. Though it is rarely only athletics.

Is it unfair? Probably, because HHS is also a better school than other MNPS schools and therefore leaves little reason for any football players able to provide their own transportation to and from school to stay at an inferior school just because it's where they're zoned. In summary, HHS is the unofficial magnet school of MNPS except they have football too unlike the official magnets Hume-Fogg and MLK.

All I have said is that HHS DOES NOT have a full roster or even two deep roster on offense and defense of thoroughbreds like people looking on from the outside like to suggest. Again, Maplewood, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek, Antioch, etc. have their fair share of elite athletes and they do not win as consistently on the football field like HHS does. It still does take exceptional coaching to get those elite athletes to play together with discipline and as a TEAM.

Conversely, HHS Boys basketball, as good as they are and have been in the past, are not as good on a consistent basis as teams like Maplewood, Whites Creek, Stratford, Hunters Lane, Antioch, etc. HHS football could have a WHOLE lot deeper roster if what is being suggested about the open enrollment at HHS as it relates to the football team was completely true.

YES the speed for the 2008 HHS team was exceptional. No question! That is precisely how they compensated for their shortcomings in size and strength.

I'm not sure how this became a Hillsboro thread, but I guess it's symbolic that the thread dealing with the RW football search would deteriorate. If you could take that back to the Hillsboro thread it would be nice. I just want to say (in case it isn't already obvious) that I am very disappointed in this process. We want to hold ourselves up as one of the premier schools in the premier region in the state and yet when it comes time to find a new leader for the flagship athletic program, it is shown to be a farce. It is quite obvious that Vaden wanted Shuman from the time Coach Rector shut the door to her office. Dr. Vaden, it's bad enough that you want to hand over the reins to the wrong person, but to take the easy way out rather than hold yourself to a higher standard like you always expected us to - that's cowardly.

I'm not sure how this became a Hillsboro thread, but I guess it's symbolic that the thread dealing with the RW football search would deteriorate. If you could take that back to the Hillsboro thread it would be nice. I just want to say (in case it isn't already obvious) that I am very disappointed in this process. We want to hold ourselves up as one of the premier schools in the premier region in the state and yet when it comes time to find a new leader for the flagship athletic program, it is shown to be a farce. It is quite obvious that Vaden wanted Shuman from the time Coach Rector shut the door to her office. Dr. Vaden, it's bad enough that you want to hand over the reins to the wrong person, but to take the easy way out rather than hold yourself to a higher standard like you always expected us to - that's cowardly.

I apologize for my part in the thread takeover. I responded to the TheSpoon's statement about believing Blade to be overrated and HHS not having to fight an uphill battle to have consistent football success. It just kind of snowballed from there. However, since Blade is no longer a candidate at Ravenwood, I can leave this thread to the Raptor fans to discuss their future coach. Good luck with the hire!

Are you saying that that this is a done deal and Vaden has hired Shuman? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

-Say hello...to the BADGUY!

Hillsboro wasnt open zoned in 01-02. That changes this discussion considerably.

Hillsboro became a real power when the zone changed and they got all of Edgehill instead of 1/3 . Overton and Glencliff used to get 1/3 each. Open enrollment has enhanced their enrollment but the real swing came when school zones changed.