HOW GOOD IS THE CULLEOKA DEFENSE

attila

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA a very average offensive team had their highest scoring game of the year against culleoka scoring 68 pts. So I think it's more their level of competition because they play good defense but it's nothing great

MBA did score 68 points, but that included overtime. MBA was the first team that really matched up well with the Cully defense. It was a really good game. Very physical, refs let them both "play".

Cully will NOT make it the BORO.

BOOK IT

Bigmoney, how can you say they won't make it? The teams between them and the state tournament are Summertown, Collinwood in the regions. If they make it to substate they will play Eagleville, Cascade or Clarksville Academy. Neither Summertown nor Collinwood play solid defense. Culleoka's defense is good enough to slow down their high scoring attacks. As for Eagleville, they are down this year compared to last. I don't think they matchup with Culleoka. Cascade has already fallen to Culleoka twice this year by double digits. The real dark horse is Clarksville Academy; however, if Culleoka has to play them it would be because either Cully or CA gets beat in the region. I don't see either of them getting beat. Culleoka defense is a get in your face type defense. They have speed, discipline, and great coaching. Slatten will make sure that this team is playing their best defense at the right time. Talking with people close to Culleoka, Coach Slatten is not happy with the team's defense. Former players have said he is very picky about the little things. From everything I have been told by players, parents, and administration, there is not another coach in the state as detailed, as prepared, or as focused on his team's opponents as ol' Bruce Slatten.

They might not win the state, but you have to include them in the final eight at the Murphy Center.

Bigmoney, how can you say they won't make it? The teams between them and the state tournament are Summertown, Collinwood in the regions. If they make it to substate they will play Eagleville, Cascade or Clarksville Academy. Neither Summertown nor Collinwood play solid defense. Culleoka's defense is good enough to slow down their high scoring attacks. As for Eagleville, they are down this year compared to last. I don't think they matchup with Culleoka. Cascade has already fallen to Culleoka twice this year by double digits. The real dark horse is Clarksville Academy; however, if Culleoka has to play them it would be because either Cully or CA gets beat in the region. I don't see either of them getting beat. Culleoka defense is a get in your face type defense. They have speed, discipline, and great coaching. Slatten will make sure that this team is playing their best defense at the right time. Talking with people close to Culleoka, Coach Slatten is not happy with the team's defense. Former players have said he is very picky about the little things. From everything I have been told by players, parents, and administration, there is not another coach in the state as detailed, as prepared, or as focused on his team's opponents as ol' Bruce Slatten.

They might not win the state, but you have to include them in the final eight at the Murphy Center.

Two teams have scored in the 60's against them. (both losses MBA & Westview). 1 team scored in the 50's. 5 teams have scored in the 40's. 6 teams have scored in the 30's. 8 teams have scored in the 20's. 1 team scored in the teens. That is pretty good since a lot of these games the freshman played the 4th period. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will have reasons why they are not that good, but it is what it is. This will go down as Cullys best defensive team ever and for those kids that is pretty good.

I still think the dark horse is Summertown. If they are hitting the threes they can get up in a hurry or comeback in a hurry. I have not seen Collinwood. And of course, someone always upsets Cully in the district. The rest of this season should be fun to watch!!!

"MBA a very average offensive team had their highest scoring game of the year against culleoka scoring 68 pts. So I think it's more their level of competition because they play good defense but it's nothing great"

If they are an average offensive team they sure didn't look like it that night. They hit everything they shot the second half with every shot with someone in their face. I was there and saw two good teams that night. MBA hit 8-9 3pt. shots. MBA also held their own against Ensworth who was ranked #1 in the Tennessean poll. Culleoka may not make the state but they are very solid defensively and almost never give up a truly 'open' shot. Culleoka has also played a decent schedule, I think it is ranked 40th on Coacht's rankings.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Their defense is really not as good as people think. It helps when you have two shot blockers and a big guard. They will have problems against teams that can match their size. Problem is only CA can do that in a Sub-state game.