Bearden to win 3A State Championship?

letthebigdawgseat21

Yeah Maryville was good, but they made a run towards tourney time... Powell was a much better team than them that year, Powell just got matched up with argumentaly the best team in the state tournament that year Oakland, and the region championship where powell beat maryville by 25 wasnt a fluke maryville couldnt run with powell, that was one of the easiest teams faced all year they were too big and slow no offense. I will give it to maryville though they did what it took to win in the state tournament. and if you wanna compare stats powell beat a top team in the nation and that being The Patterson School (NC) that was when they had Cameron Tatum and company, Oak Ridge by 25 in district, beat Bearden, beat dobynns bennett, beat farragut by almost 30, beat halls twice (halls only lost 4 games that year), beat Karns (that was also in Karns hayday), and beat fulton.

2007 was one of the best year for east tennessee from top to bottom in a while. Powell, Halls, Karns, and Oak Ridge were very good out of the 3aaa district, actually the 3AAA district all around was good that year. then Maryville, Bearden, and Farragut were stacked them years as well.

I just dont believe Maryville could have beaten Powell, or halls, and maybe not karns, and i dont believe they would have beaten Oak Ridge more than one time if they would have played 5 times. Who knows though the teams were too good all around to tell what wouldve happened. Maryville was a good team that year, but not the best team out of the east, they just did what it took tournament time and got the job done congrats.

No. Powell wasn't. They were a tough matchup for Maryville with the 4 guards, but that 25 point win was a fluke. If they hit 15 3-pointers and shoot 75% against Oakland in 2007, I would bet that they win that game. I watched the Powell-Oakland game. That Powell team had a lot of heart. Powell didn't have the all-around game that it takes to advance in the state tournament.

Bearden doesn't shoot well enough from the perimeter to win the Gold Ball. JMHO.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Powell was a much better team than them [Maryville] that year..."

Not hardly. Powell played their "career game" the night they upset Maryville in the regions. Overall, Maryville had more weapons--inside and out.

I don't think perimeter shooting will be Bearden's downfall in Murfreesboro ... I believe team chemistry will be their demise.

The Powell enthusiast needs to check his/her numbers. The District 3 Tournament win over Oak Ridge (after losing to the Wildcats by 11 and 22 points in the regular season) was a 7 -- not 25 -- point victory, 55-48. The Region 2 win over Farragut was by a 12-point margin, 71-59 -- hardly a 30-point spread (but what a spectacular shooting display that night!). The region championship over Maryville was a 19-point win, 74-55 (why let final scores cloud one's perspective?!). Powell shot amazingly well over a 5 game stretch, propelling the Panthers to Murfreesboro. It was a great run, but I'll agree with the others here that Maryville was the better balanced, more versatile team. I can't say the Rebels struck me as a great team that year, yet they accomplished what no other AAA team from East Tennessee had done in 10 years. Bearden is a far more impressive team this year, even allowing that their AAA competition across ET is likely down a bit. That would be one of my major concerns for Bearden: when have they been pushed, truly challenged, or faced some real adversity? But I look admiringly at that Maryville team of two years ago and think, "why not Bearden?"

The Powell enthusiast needs to check his/her numbers. The District 3 Tournament win over Oak Ridge (after losing to the Wildcats by 11 and 22 points in the regular season) was a 7 -- not 25 -- point victory, 55-48. The Region 2 win over Farragut was by a 12-point margin, 71-59 -- hardly a 30-point spread (but what a spectacular shooting display that night!). The region championship over Maryville was a 19-point win, 74-55 (why let final scores cloud one's perspective?!). Powell shot amazingly well over a 5 game stretch, propelling the Panthers to Murfreesboro. It was a great run, but I'll agree with the others here that Maryville was the better balanced, more versatile team. I can't say the Rebels struck me as a great team that year, yet they accomplished what no other AAA team from East Tennessee had done in 10 years. Bearden is a far more impressive team this year, even allowing that their AAA competition across ET is likely down a bit. That would be one of my major concerns for Bearden: when have they been pushed, truly challenged, or faced some real adversity? But I look admiringly at that Maryville team of two years ago and think, "why not Bearden?"

Yeah ur probably right about those scores, but it was much worse than the score said at the end... The Oak Ridge game Powell was up on them bad through out the game, until the fourth quarter where they whipped up on powells second team... The Farragut game was completely ugly through out the whole game but same story as Oak Rdige game with the whole second team coming in the fourth quarter. I think Bearden is much better than Maryville and that Powell team. I think Bearden has a really good shot at winning it this year.

So out of your mighty memphis teams over there /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> who all is left in ur region tournaments to give bearden a challenge?

i think Siegel might have something to say about that!!! Go Stars!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

they look good on paper so far i havent seen em play

White Station, Melrose, Central, and Ridgeway. Be lucky that after two of these teams are eliminated Raleigh and craigmont will be eliminated. I'm sensing alot more arrogance out of Bearden fans now and thats funny slightly humbling since most of you guys believe you're the best because of a 10 point loss to Oak Hill....? I thought there were no Moral victories in sports...at least for the Top tier teams!

White Station, Melrose, Central, and Ridgeway. Be lucky that after two of these teams are eliminated Raleigh and craigmont will be eliminated. I'm sensing alot more arrogance out of Bearden fans now and thats funny slightly humbling since most of you guys believe you're the best because of a 10 point loss to Oak Hill....? I thought there were no Moral victories in sports...at least for the Top tier teams!

I read your post, and it just makes me realize that you have no idea how good bearden is. I'm not saying that they are better than Memphis teams, but you haven't seen Bearden play this year, so keep it shut until you do

How many Memphis teams have you seen? I still haven't said any memphis team will beat Bearden or Bearden will beat Memphis. Though I think I can guarantee that in this thread Bearden faithful have been much more cocky than us. I won't keep it shut until State Time and then I'll take whatever happens like a young man.

I read your post, and it just makes me realize that you have no idea how good bearden is. I'm not saying that they are better than Memphis teams, but you haven't seen Bearden play this year, so keep it shut until you do

Well whenever and whomever from west ten arrive in murfreesboro they will be ready and battle tested to play with and challenge bearden or whatever team there...

I agree. As everyone knows on this board, I am Bearden Supporter. I have been a fan for over 16 years when I first started school as a Freshman. I can honestly say that this is the best team that they have ever had in the history of their program. I don't neccessarily think that I am being Cocky as JudyJoe says, I do however feel confident about the ability of the team to win the state....Their 32-3 record speaks for itself. One thing that I don't understand, is how fans of Memphis teams get on here and don't actually cheer for their own team. I have no idea what teams that you are cheering for. You base your entire argument on how MEMPHIS bball is dominant over any part of the State. Obviously, that is the case based on the number of titles that West TN has brought home in all classifications. However, I would like to know which teams you guys are actually cheering for and are a fan of