Bearden to win 3A State Championship?

letthebigdawgseat21

I don't know the web address, but I remember getting on Memphis Melrose's Basketball website and they had several guys in the 6'4'' - 6'8'' range, and most of them were young players... I was really suprised at the height...

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes they really do...saw them last week against Memphis Central and they are tall and athletic. They're point guard is probably about 5'8 but every other starter is 6'2 and above. The 6'2 player is the starting qb so you know he is tough as nails. Plus they have a few 6'8 guys off the bench that know how to score in the paint

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is indeed the beauty of March. Bearden may very well be better than Maryville and they could not even come close to a gold ball. Going into the 07 state tourney, had most people been given the choice of ranking each team, Maryville probably would have been 7th or 8th. Yet, they had the right blend of personnel, luck, oppurtunity and the right coaching. It's not always about if your better than the other guy...............

IT SURE DOES HELP!!

Absolutely, but in an elimination format, sometimes the best team or most talented team doesnt always win.

EAST TN HAS TWO GOLD BBALLS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS (MARYVILLE AND FULTON)!! I UNDERSTAND THAT MARYVILLE WAS NOT THE BEST TEAM THERE IN 07. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, NEITHER WAS FULTON IN 08. THEY WERE GOOD ENOUGH, I GUESS. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE SAYS THAT EAST TN CANT PLAY WITH THE REST OF THE STATE. THEY HAVE HELD THEIR OWN LATELY, AND I FEEL THAT BEARDEN HAS A DECENT CHANCE TO MAKE A RUN LIKE MARYVILLE DID.

NEON

EAST TN HAS TWO GOLD BBALLS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS (MARYVILLE AND FULTON)!! I UNDERSTAND THAT MARYVILLE WAS NOT THE BEST TEAM THERE IN 07. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, NEITHER WAS FULTON. THEY WERE GOOD ENOUGH, I GUESS. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE SAYS THAT EAST TN CANT PLAY WITH THE REST OF THE STATE. THEY HAVE HELD THEIR OWN LATELY, AND I FEEL THAT BEARDEN HAS A DECENT CHANCE TO MAKE A RUN LIKE MARYVILLE DID.

NEON

Because at least in AAA, east tn has never faired too well when going up against Middle or West Tn. I am not educated in the history of the state tourney for A or AA, so please inform me if it is otherwise, but its been a struggle for East Tn to hold their own at state. What Maryville did was just one of those special years that may very well just come along every so often. Thats not say that Bearden cant win it, but East and Middle Tn. are always going to be playing against a stacked deck so long as Memphis and its surrounding area is a part of this state

EAST TN HAS TWO GOLD BBALLS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS (MARYVILLE AND FULTON)!! I UNDERSTAND THAT MARYVILLE WAS NOT THE BEST TEAM THERE IN 07. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, NEITHER WAS FULTON IN 08. THEY WERE GOOD ENOUGH, I GUESS. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE SAYS THAT EAST TN CANT PLAY WITH THE REST OF THE STATE. THEY HAVE HELD THEIR OWN LATELY, AND I FEEL THAT BEARDEN HAS A DECENT CHANCE TO MAKE A RUN LIKE MARYVILLE DID.

NEON

How is the Air up there?

Because at least in AAA, east tn has never faired too well when going up against Middle or West Tn. I am not educated in the history of the state tourney for A or AA, so please inform me if it is otherwise

AA East teams have faired the best over the years... If you want to see a crazy, but not shocking fact that I don't exactly know... Look at how many teams from Region 1&2 in all classifications have won the state over the past several years... I would bet that it would be severely low when compared to all other regions...

AA East teams have faired the best over the years... If you want to see a crazy, but not shocking fact that I don't exactly know... Look at how many teams from Region 1&2 in all classifications have won the state over the past several years... I would bet that it would be severely low when compared to all other regions...

I will take your word for it, because more often than not, they havent faired well in AAA either...... Science Hill is the only one I can ever think of that has had any sustained success at state that hails from one of those regions

Ok let me put this in realistic terms for you...

No one can match up size and talent wize this year. i dont believe anybody from the west has a line up where it looks somethin like this 6'5 6'5 6'6 6'7 and 6'10 (the big guy is argumentaly one of the best post players in tennessee after the performance against Oak Hill stand out tiny) 4 out of the 5 players will play D1 basketball and a few gaurds can stick there arm pit in the rim because thats what the west is gonna run across this year against Bearden... maybe even 5 players playin D1 ball correct me if im wrong with the whole west thing??? and o yea these boys are not slow either theyre a fast team so the west is not gonna out run em.

Basketball 2223,

NEWSFLASH... Bearden might beat one and/or all four of our top (AAA) Mphs teams but, I assure you-- it will NOT be the result of being OUTSIZED.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't speak to the precise heights of the top 4 Mphs teams but, trust me when I tell you -- Bearden's size will NOT pose problems for ANY of them!

All the top-4 Mphs teams posess MORE than enough size, jumping & athletic ability, talent, quickness & technique to EASILY match up & deal with Bearden's lineup. Frankly, for whatever reason, SIZE is rather common place amongst many of our AAA Mphs teams. As such, these squads are actually quite USED to playing against "BIG" teams.

SIZE is a non-issue.

They will lose to a team in TN..trust me..they dont even compare to the teams out west in any aspect whatsoever. I will say White Station will be your champion this year and bearden will make it to state but lose in first round. Not near talented enough.

You know what, Unreal21-- after having seen White Station twice this year (no disrespect to Bearden, or any other team), I will not be shocked to see them actually win the AAA State Title.....IF, if they can make it out of Memphis!

-----------------------------------------------------

White Station has essentially has the SAME team as last year's AAA runner-up squad, only more experienced!

They are nowhere near as good a team as ANY of those dominant White Station teams, back during the Coach Tippet era. They are not overpowering. Nevertheless, they posess enough key components to actually win a State Championship. Additionally, they are a poised bunch & play EXCELLENT team ball.

You know what, Unreal21-- after having seen White Station twice this year (no disrespect to Bearden, or any other team), I will not be shocked to see them actually win the AAA State Title.....IF, if they can make it out of Memphis!

White Station has essentially has the SAME team as last year's AAA runner-up squad, only more experienced!

They are nowhere near as good a team as ANY of those dominant White Station teams, back during the Coach Tippet era. They are not overpowering. Nevertheless, they posess enough key components to actually win a State Championship. Additionally, they are a poised bunch & play EXCELLENT team ball.

I watched Melrose tonight and I am convinced they have by far the most talent top to bottom of any team in the state. They play great defense to. The scary part about Melrose is it's not just talent..it's high end talent in my opinion. They are big, strong, fast, quick, and skilled to boot. I think just about the whole team is underclassmen.

I honestly think Adonis Thomas is one of the top five players in the state right now and he is only a sophmore. Thomas, Johnson, and Rucker are imposing....and then there are more just as big. They put on a duck fest against Hamilton...and some of those dunks were the type that are just flat out are intimidating. There guards are solid as a rock to. I think basically the whole team will play college at some level. The only drawback is they are really young...but, they don't play like it. I am sold on Melrose..not saying they will win it all....but, I would not be suprised. I think they could very well do it. Only time will tell. Memphis is such a meat grinder.

I think Melrose will finish the 2009/2010 with a national ranking......I really do.

I watched Melrose tonight and I am convinced they have by far the most talent top to bottom of any team in the state. They play great defense to. The scary part about Melrose is it's not just talent..it's high end talent in my opinion. They are big, strong, fast, quick, and skilled to boot. I think just about the whole team is underclassmen.

I honestly think Adonis Thomas is one of the top five players in the state right now and he is only a sophmore. Thomas, Johnson, and Rucker are imposing....and then there are more just as big. They put on a duck fest against Hamilton...and some of those dunks were the type that are just flat out are intimidating. There guards are solid as a rock to. I think basically the whole team will play college at some level. The only drawback is they are really young...but, they don't play like it. I am sold on Melrose..not saying they will win it all....but, I would not be suprised. I think they could very well do it. Only time will tell. Memphis is such a meat grinder.

I think Melrose will finish the 2009/2010 with a national ranking......I really do.

I agree they are talented. I really think they should run/press more because they have athletes for days...

Trader I'm with you on that one...If they get out of Memphis Joe won't let them lose again