Hampton v/s District 1 (A)

My point is, I don't know if I ,as a parent, can let my son play for people or coaches like this.

I'm quite positive the butt-chewings will not get any better at any other school and the language the Hampton coaches use in the locker room is nothing compared to what a kid will hear and say in the halls of any high school. Most mothers would probably drop dead if they heard what 16 and 17 year old boys said to one another. So, the language thing is sort of a joke. But I'm sure all parents also believe that their son is not like that, and doesn't use that kind of language. If the parents wanna believe that, it's fine by me. I'm not saying a coach should cuss a player out, I'm just saying that there is a huge double-standard...

But you do bring up a good point. Times are changing. Parents will not allow coaches to discipline their little 17 year old babies any longer. I would hate to hear what parents nowadays would have said if their son had played 20 or 30 years ago under Coach White in his prime or under Coach Vanhuss...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, it's the language that the coaches are using. Personally, I don't think it's right. It's not just basketball at Hampton that has this problem, it's all three boys' teams. If it's wrong it's wrong, winning or losing. My point is, I don't know if I ,as a parent, can let my son play for people or coaches like this.

I??™m not sure what??™s so bad about being called an ???all American??? that??™s not bad language at all. What people don??™t see is how the players back talk the coaches and think they know more about the game than the coaches do. Again, this is not youth club basketball and if a kid can??™t take a little chewing when they are on a high school varsity basketball or football team they don??™t need to be out there. Lord Vader makes a great point. I have spent some time in a high school class room setting observing teachers for an education class and the language that most kids use is a lot worse than anything the Hampton coaches have said to them I guarantee it.

To be honest, it's the language that the coaches are using. Personally, I don't think it's right. It's not just basketball at Hampton that has this problem, it's all three boys' teams. If it's wrong it's wrong, winning or losing. My point is, I don't know if I ,as a parent, can let my son play for people or coaches like this.

There's not a school around, I'm sure, where this hasn't been encountered. Truth to tell, every kid hears language like that or far worse in everyday conversation. It's nothing new to them. I've overheard stuff said between kids in idle conversation that threw me for a loop. Times have changed, I guess not for the better in that regard, but it's true. If you keep your kids from playing for a coach because of bad language, will you keep them from ever watching TV? From ever seeing movies? From working in the real world? I work with guys who cuss like sailors. I don't like it, but I don't use it myself. At some point, kids see and hear A LOT more than parents realize. The point is, coaches use what means they can to communicate with their players. It doesn't mean those coaches don't care for those kids. Far from it. They know those players can do better, hense the getting on them from time to time. Take a listen to Charlie Bayless on his sideline sometime. whoa. It's everywhere, there's no getting away from it, I'm afraid.

i don't want anyone to take this too bad, because i bleed blue and go to almost all sporting events etc. but last night during the boys game i set behind the boys and observed the worst thing i have ever seen in a ballgame from a coach at hampton no names are going to be mentioned but afterr seeing how one of the coachs jumped in one of the boys faces and degraded him and told him how bad he was (in so many words) right in is ear as loud as he could

then after that one of the fans try to take up for the boy (a Woman) he told her off too. As for me if i had a child that could play high school basketball it would not be for him also this bulldog team has alot of talent and could go along way with a little ENCOURAGMENT not downing and cusing!!!

it's the same way in football and it's crazy that this is always over looked when is some one going to put a stop to this kind of stuff?all coaches get on their players but the cusing is way over the top. what kind of message does this send to the up and comming players and their parents?someone defend this one if you dare.

There's not a school around, I'm sure, where this hasn't been encountered. Truth to tell, every kid hears language like that or far worse in everyday conversation. It's nothing new to them. I've overheard stuff said between kids in idle conversation that threw me for a loop. Times have changed, I guess not for the better in that regard, but it's true. If you keep your kids from playing for a coach because of bad language, will you keep them from ever watching TV? From ever seeing movies? From working in the real world? I work with guys who cuss like sailors. I don't like it, but I don't use it myself. At some point, kids see and hear A LOT more than parents realize. The point is, coaches use what means they can to communicate with their players. It doesn't mean those coaches don't care for those kids. Far from it. They know those players can do better, hense the getting on them from time to time. Take a listen to Charlie Bayless on his sideline sometime. whoa. It's everywhere, there's no getting away from it, I'm afraid.

you've got to be kidding me.do you people read your posts before you put them on here?and people want to know whats wrong with todays world.you say they did it back in the good old days but today aint the good old days these kids are exposed to way to many bad things and need guidence in todays world.some of these young people may have only one role modle in their life most of the time it's a coach or teacher,and if they are allowed to act like this then where are we headded???????????????????????

I just have one question for you people who want the coaching staff gone. WHO is it that you want to come in and PLEASE everyone????? I can't wait to hear the answer.

They can't give you an answer to that because there is no one that could please them. How about Coach K from Duke? Ever been to one of their games, he is probably the foulest mouthed coach there is and I'm sure they would like to have him.

If you play any sport you are going to get a chewing if you you don't do the job right. but what most people "in the stands " don't understand is it's not to offend any kid out there on the court or on the feild. It's just to encourage or "fire up" a kid. Most players indeed get fired up and play better.

Let's get real and quit complaining abougt B.S.

On the basketball side of things....

Hampton travels to Happy Valley tonight to take on the warriors.

Should be a hard fought battle to the end and thier should be a BIG crowd on hand.

Both teams are playing great right now, and Hampton needs this (W) to keep the MoJo!!

If you play any sport you are going to get a chewing if you you don't do the job right. but what most people "in the stands " don't understand is it's not to offend any kid out there on the court or on the feild. It's just to encourage or "fire up" a kid. Most players indeed get fired up and play better.

Let's get real and quit complaining abougt B.S.

On the basketball side of things....

Hampton travels to Happy Valley tonight to take on the warriors.

Should be a hard fought battle to the end and thier should be a BIG crowd on hand.

Both teams are playing great right now, and Hampton needs this (W) to keep the MoJo!!

There is nothing wrong with a chewing, if it's done the right way. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong and cursing kids is wrong. It's wrong on the court, it's wrong on the field, it's wrong in the locker room. What would happen if a Teacher cursed a student? What would happen if a Preacher cursed his Church members? It's not right for the leaders of our children to act in such a manner. It's also not right for us as parents to sit back and allow something like this to go on. Again, I don't know if I can let my son play for coaches like this. I can't speek for anyone else, but I know that I don't want my son to think that this kind of behavior is ok.

There is nothing wrong with a chewing, if it's done the right way. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong and cursing kids is wrong. It's wrong on the court, it's wrong on the field, it's wrong in the locker room. What would happen if a Teacher cursed a student? What would happen if a Preacher cursed his Church members? It's not right for the leaders of our children to act in such a manner. It's also not right for us as parents to sit back and allow something like this to go on. Again, I don't know if I can let my son play for coaches like this. I can't speek for anyone else, but I know that I don't want my son to think that this kind of behavior is ok.

well the fans are saying not to cuss players, but at tha game a fan started cussing one of our coaches so dont even start that BS

This was a very impressive win for the Dawgs. Happy Valley had won 6 of their last 7 and had beaten some very good teams. The sophmores really stepped their game up tonight. Hughes had 26, Ward had 13, Hill had 8, Jones had 8, and Lipford had 4. The Dawgs won despite not making a single 3-pointer, only playing 6 players due to Andrews' injury (which meant that Ward, Hughes, and Hill NEVER came out of the game), letting the Warriors get 18 offensive rebounds, and shooting terrible for 3 quarters at the foul line. I think Hampton was 2-10 from the line heading into the 4th quarter. If the Bulldogs do better at the free throw line and box out on the defensive end, this is not even a game. Overall, this was a huge win for Hampton and should keep the momentum rolling going into their last 3 games...