Traditional State Venue issue @ UTC

rigger101

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the tournament on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday is unfortunate for everyone. The student/athletes miss another day of school when we already have problems with academics in the Tennessee public school systems. Parents must take off an extra day of work when companies are looking for reasons to cut staff and eliminate jobs. Does the TSSAA not have a signed contract that spells out what day's & facilities they will be using @ UTC for the tournament? Why would anyone have a problem with using the old Maclelln Gymnasium for the tournament? The TSSAA held many successful state wrestling tournaments in that "old gym" that were classics. If Tennessee is going to have D1/D2 and not combine the 2 divisions they should do the following: 1. Make D1 a 16 man bracket with 4 regions and only the top 4 in each weight classification attend the state. 2. Use an 8 man bracket for D2 with the top five (due to more teams in the Middle & West) wrestlers in the Middle/West region and the top three (due to fewer teams in the East) wrestlers in the East region advancing to the state tournament. 3. Friday Tournament Schedule: 10:00am Friday Round of 16, Round of 8 & cons rounds, Saturday @ 10:00am Semi-Finals, Cons & Cons Finals (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th), Saturday 7:00pm Championship Finals. You could even have the D1 championship finals start @ 6:00pm & the D2 start @ 8:00pm and rotate the order each year.

With the dire economic situation that we have in the country today everyone (including the TSSAA) needs to look for not only revenue streams but for every opportunity possible to save money. By going to a Friday & Saturday tournament it would save parents & schools on hotels, meals, parking, along with gate fees.

Having the tournament on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday is unfortunate for everyone. The student/athletes miss another day of school when we already have problems with academics in the Tennessee public school systems. Parents must take off an extra day of work when companies are looking for reasons to cut staff and eliminate jobs. Does the TSSAA not have a signed contract that spells out what day's & facilities they will be using @ UTC for the tournament? Why would anyone have a problem with using the old Maclelln Gymnasium for the tournament? The TSSAA held many successful state wrestling tournaments in that "old gym" that were classics. If Tennessee is going to have D1/D2 and not combine the 2 divisions they should do the following: 1. Make D1 a 16 man bracket with 4 regions and only the top 4 in each weight classification attend the state. 2. Use an 8 man bracket for D2 with the top five (due to more teams in the Middle & West) wrestlers in the Middle/West region and the top three (due to fewer teams in the East) wrestlers in the East region advancing to the state tournament. 3. Friday Tournament Schedule: 10:00am Friday Round of 16, Round of 8 & cons rounds, Saturday @ 10:00am Semi-Finals, Cons & Cons Finals (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th), Saturday 7:00pm Championship Finals. You could even have the D1 championship finals start @ 6:00pm & the D2 start @ 8:00pm and rotate the order each year.

With the dire economic situation that we have in the country today everyone (including the TSSAA) needs to look for not only revenue streams but for every opportunity possible to save money. By going to a Friday & Saturday tournament it would save parents & schools on hotels, meals, parking, along with gate fees.

Great Points now how do we make it happen?

The folks in the Chattanooga area are having to take off another day of work and pay to park and have our bags looked through. So we feel the most of the same pains you feel.

True but your not traveling up to 6 hours to get there and then sleeping in a strange hotel, besides most of the folks from Chattanooga know where to park or get dropped off to keep from paying the high fee in the parking garage. I only payed that rip off once in 8 years! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

True but your not traveling up to 6 hours to get there and then sleeping in a strange hotel, besides most of the folks from Chattanooga know where to park or get dropped off to keep from paying the high fee in the parking garage. I only payed that rip off once in 8 years! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Hey Rigger,

Where is the good parking located if you don't mind sharing?

You've gone over the line. You've accused us of having strange hotels! The Hilton Garden Inn can be strange but only during Riverbend.

My solution is to move the tournament around the state so that those hot beds of high school wrestling support like Memphis, Knoxville and Johnson City can demonstrate their love of the sport by attracting a couple of hundred (well, in Memphis, maybe 10 or 20) knowledgeable rabid local fans to fill the VFW hall.

You've gone over the line. You've accused us of having strange hotels! The Hilton Garden Inn can be strange but only during Riverbend.

My solution is to move the tournament around the state so that those hot beds of high school wrestling support like Memphis, Knoxville and Johnson City can demonstrate their love of the sport by attracting a couple of hundred (well, in Memphis, maybe 10 or 20) knowledgeable rabid local fans to fill the VFW hall.

Wow-countrypk you just slapped the SH coach and Memphis! Nice very Nice!

Bring it to MiddleTN. I saw all the crying about the over crowed gym in Clarksville. Between Clarksville, FR, Blackmon, Indy and a few other I'm sure we can keep the seats full. Have you been to a FR Tourney? It's not empty. In the old days Overton and FR had full gyms when they had their big matches.

I lived in all 3 parts of the state and Choo-choo town owns TN wrestling but if you can't get UTC to give us the big show on Saturday Night then rotate it, like they do Spring Fling!

Let Bradley, Baylor, McCallie, Cleveland, SD, Ooltewah and a few other sleep in a crappy bed and have fast food every day for for a change? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Spread the wealth and make the whole state strong not just the Chattanooga area. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Wow-countrypk you just slapped the SH coach and Memphis! Nice very Nice!

Bring it to MiddleTN. I saw all the crying about the over crowed gym in Clarksville. Between Clarksville, FR, Blackmon, Indy and a few other I'm sure we can keep the seats full. Have you been to a FR Tourney? It's not empty. In the old days Overton and FR had full gyms when they had their big matches.

I lived in all 3 parts of the state and Choo-choo town owns TN wrestling but if you can't get UTC to give us the big show on Saturday Night then rotate it, like they do Spring Fling!

Let Bradley, Baylor, McCallie, Cleveland, SD, Ooltewah and a few other sleep in a crappy bed and have fast food every day for for a change? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Spread the wealth and make the whole state strong not just the Chattanooga area. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sleep in better hotels and get off the crappy beds and stay out of Wendy's and go to a restaurant.

I know that when I was in high school,,,,,going to an out of town match was fun and we never, ever complained about not being in our beds.