Traditional State Venue issue @ UTC

rigger101

Bear I guess you have never heard of North and South there is a big differance between being in the middle of the state and being nearly in GA.When was the last time you attended a poorly ran tourny in Murfreesboro? Blackman holds several tournys a year that are larger than the state duals and do an outstanding job.If Chatt. isn't making any money on the State tourny believe me they are doing something wrong.Living in Murfreesboro, I can tell you it takes way more than a gallon of gas to get to Chatt. or Clarksville. There are alot of "US" that don't appreciate the date change at UTC for the state tourny and would enjoy going to other venues to see it.Changing venues each year would make it a fresher experiance for the boys that go multiple times.

Shootfirst - This thread and my comments were about the traditional tournament. Blackman nor anyone else runs a tournament that big. 672 wrestlers on 8 mats...that's 48 teams with a full lineup. That's bigger than the Beast of the East. Come on!

I don't care where you put the duals but IMO they too should be in Chattanooga where the attendance would be higher than anywhere in the state.

Re: Math

For every mile you don't drive, someone else has to drive. In other words...It's 500 miles between Johnson City and Memphis. If a tournament is held dead in the center, it would be 250 miles to each starting point. Move it 50 miles closer to Memphis and it becomes 200 and 300. Anyway you do it, someone has to drive 500 miles. Now to my point on the average driving distance: Wherever the tournament is located teams from all 8 regions will have to drive there. If you total the mileage all 16 teams drive and divide by 16, the resulting number is the average all teams have to drive. If the tournament is in Nashville/Murfreesboro, the average driving distance for all teams would be around 160 miles. If the tournament is in Chattanooga, the average driving distance for all teams would be less than 180 miles...or less than 20 miles difference...which is about a gallon of gas. The thing working against the middle of the state arguement is the Great Wrestling Void in between Memphis and Middle TN. 90% of the wrestling is in 50% of the state. Middle TN only becomes the center when you guys include the Great Wrestling Void.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear ,You make a good arguement ,but what causes that wrestling void? Is it population,interest,# of programs? It was always my understanding the farther North you go the more popular wrestling becomes.How is having the State Tourny on a WED ,THUR,and FRI going to lead to better attendance? Also what about the fact that kids the qualify for State multiple times have it become just another tourny in the same spot just like the year before? I don't believe Murfreesboro is the only place that either of these should move to because in order to start filling that wrestling void wrestling needs to get better exposure and accessability in that void.

Bear ,You make a good arguement ,but what causes that wrestling void? Is it population,interest,# of programs? It was always my understanding the farther North you go the more popular wrestling becomes.How is having the State Tourny on a WED ,THUR,and FRI going to lead to better attendance? Also what about the fact that kids the qualify for State multiple times have it become just another tourny in the same spot just like the year before? I don't believe Murfreesboro is the only place that either of these should move to because in order to start filling that wrestling void wrestling needs to get better exposure and accessability in that void.

What causes the Great Void? Your guess is as good as mine, although I'm sure it's the same as the answer to the question, "Why is there no wrestling in Mississippi?" (The Great Void is an extension of Mississippi)

More people will attend a wrestling tournament on We, Th and Fr in Chattanooga when compared to the same tournament on any days you pick anywhere else in the state. There are just more wrestling people in Chattanooga.

Serious wrestlers don't care where the tournament is located. They just don't want distractions due to a poor location. If a kid is coming to see the sites, well....

I've said this 1000 times...the location of the tournament does nothing to expand wrestling. It starts with kids club organization and ends with the availability of good high school coaches.

What causes the Great Void? Your guess is as good as mine, although I'm sure it's the same as the answer to the question, "Why is there no wrestling in Mississippi?" (The Great Void is an extension of Mississippi)

More people will attend a wrestling tournament on We, Th and Fr in Chattanooga when compared to the same tournament on any days you pick anywhere else in the state. There are just more wrestling people in Chattanooga.

Serious wrestlers don't care where the tournament is located. They just don't want distractions due to a poor location. If a kid is coming to see the sites, well....

I've said this 1000 times...the location of the tournament does nothing to expand wrestling. It starts with kids club organization and ends with the availability of good high school coaches.

UTC is the major reason that Chattanooga high school wrestling is not only of a higher quality but also has better attendance than other areas of Tennessee. The program has long been established and many of the wrestlers that competed for the MOCS are now coaching or helping with youth, middle school and high school programs. If the University of Tennessee had continued with their program you would see a better quality of wresling in Knoxville & upper East Tennesssee. The reason that PA has such good high school wrestling is that many of their programs are coached by All-Americans that move back to the local communities and volunteer their time.

Shootfirst - This thread and my comments were about the traditional tournament. Blackman nor anyone else runs a tournament that big. 672 wrestlers on 8 mats...that's 48 teams with a full lineup. That's bigger than the Beast of the East. Come on!

I don't care where you put the duals but IMO they too should be in Chattanooga where the attendance would be higher than anywhere in the state.

Re: Math

For every mile you don't drive, someone else has to drive. In other words...It's 500 miles between Johnson City and Memphis. If a tournament is held dead in the center, it would be 250 miles to each starting point. Move it 50 miles closer to Memphis and it becomes 200 and 300. Anyway you do it, someone has to drive 500 miles. Now to my point on the average driving distance: Wherever the tournament is located teams from all 8 regions will have to drive there. If you total the mileage all 16 teams drive and divide by 16, the resulting number is the average all teams have to drive. If the tournament is in Nashville/Murfreesboro, the average driving distance for all teams would be around 160 miles. If the tournament is in Chattanooga, the average driving distance for all teams would be less than 180 miles...or less than 20 miles difference...which is about a gallon of gas. The thing working against the middle of the state arguement is the Great Wrestling Void in between Memphis and Middle TN. 90% of the wrestling is in 50% of the state. Middle TN only becomes the center when you guys include the Great Wrestling Void.

Anyone have a slide rule?

Your two points are backing what shootfirst is saying

in order to start filling that wrestling void wrestling needs to get better exposure and accessability in that void.

The Chattanooga/Bradley Co folks will travel to Middle TN to watch the State. There are plenty Kids Clubs in Middle TN but very little exposure compared to Chattanooga. To get the Exposure you need the event.

Again I'm saying if TSSAA State Wrestling isn't good enough for UTC to have on Saturday then move it! UTC must not appreciate the additional income the event brings in. I've never seen UTC post anything saying they apologize for the inconvenience.

My boys started their wrestling with UTC Mocsters and we love Chattanooga, if we were still I wouldn't want to see it leave either. However I have lived in Kingsport, Knoxville and now Nashville since we moved from Chattanooga.

And we have been involved with wrestling in all 3 areas.

To help the sport across the state it needs to be treated like Sprig Fling. If the other areas can't step up then keep at UTC and get treated the way we are accustomed!

Why do the wrestlers have to miss 3 days of school and families 3 days of work just to keep the Traditional State in Chattanooga?

This is the 2nd year that the Tournament is not being allowed to have the Championships on Saturday?

If this is the case why has the Tournament not been changed to another site?

Why are we having UTC dictate TN TSSAA HS Wrestling?

I know the state wrestling powers and tradition is in Chattanooga but we are effecting or sport and families financial welfare to accommodate UTC from what I understand. In this day and time having to miss 3 days of work is hard on families.

Is this the new trend?

I enjoyed it when families could travel to Chattanooga to watch the Championships on Saturday.

If TN HS wrestling is not good enough to be held at UTC on Saturdays then take to some where that wants the added revenue in their community.

IMHO-I think UTC is taking this event for granted!!!!

At this pace get the KY jelly ready because they might send the event back to the little gym at UTC. (Maclellan)

Seems like UTC's perspective= They are lucky to have the tournament here no matter when we tell them they can do it! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I think you have mentioned a few times that Spring Fling rotates. Since it finally left Memphis (several events were held across the state line...in Miss I think) it has been in Murfreesboro. The event does not rotate. Yes they may vote on it from time to time...but it will stay in Murfreesboro....no rotating here.

1, You know the answer!

2. Us means TSSAA Wrestling grapplers,and the famlies that support them.

3. Let the other parts of the states and the teams affiliated with the venue make the bucks that the State Tourney brings in and the press and notoriety it receives.

Most teams travel through the season, if you rotate the venue like they do in Spring Fling then every team travels every couple of years.

You are right. I know they vote in it but I don't see it leaving Murfreesboro. And championships, many of them, are held on Friday.

I think you have mentioned a few times that Spring Fling rotates. Since it finally left Memphis (several events were held across the state line...in Miss I think) it has been in Murfreesboro. The event does not rotate. Yes they may vote on it from time to time...but it will stay in Murfreesboro....no rotating here.