Scott High School - Adding games to break a school record - Give your

star3

I think every coach should try to play the maximum number of games allowed by TSSAA every year. Games are the rewards for all the hard work and practice that goes into a basketball season. Coaches should reschedule regardless of records and district standing. Play the games.

Now, I would say that all records should be made under the guise of good sportsmanship. Leaving a senior in to break a scoring record with huge leads might not meet the definition of good sportsmanship. 20 point leads don't exactly fit that criteria all the time. I've seen plenty of teams lose 20 point leads. Pull your starters when the time is right.

I hated it when Coach Insell left Tiffany Woosley in to break the single game scoring record against Columbia in a 95-25 win during her senior season. Not only was it humiliating to the opponent to leave the girl in just to break a selfish sort of record that should be broken in the heat of competition, but Woosley had already signed her scholarship papers at UT. He would have felt pretty bad if she'd blown a knee out in pursuit of a record in such a way, not to mention how Pat would have felt.

Don't know the particulars of this case, but playing the maximum number of games and leaving your starters in with a 20 point lead doesn't really bother me as much as what Insell did.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a player is good enough to break a career scoring record then there should not be ANY negative talk about it. I don't know this girl or the team she plays for, or the teams she plays against. If she is good enough to have played for four years, and played the game the right way (from what I've heard on here) she should be applauded for this feat.

Star, if you could, would you put an asterisk beside her name in the books? Its not like she took steroids, altered her birth certificate, or anything like that.

Young Lady, Congratulations!!

Congrats Ms. Lowe. And your missing a big point. No matter the circumstances she still had to put the ball in the basket more than the girl holding the record. Which she did. And what about the girls that played before there was a three point line? Should that be taken into consideration? She broke the record just appluad her for her accomplishment. And When I was in high school I never remember a Basketball game being cancelled and not being played on a later date.

Recently, a senior at Scott High School in Scott County broke the all-time scoring record at their school by about 10 points in their last game (a loss in the district tournament). The problem is that during the whole season, this seemed to be the team's only objective. This girl played pretty much every game from tip-off to buzzer without a break. Even if the team was up by 20 or losing by 20, she was in the game. Every play was designed to her. They had a few games cancelled for snow, and all but two were rescheduled. The coaches of Scott High then realized that there was no way she could break the record, so the week before and of the district tournament, they added two games onto the schedule just so this girl could break the all-time scoring record of their school. They actually tried to schedule more games, but no one else would agree to it so close to tournament time. The sad part is that the games they scheduled were teams that the school had never played before, and, not to be rude, but they were also terrible. In those games she racked up over 60 points. The coaching staff actually even admitted the reason they were doing this, and it was because of the scoring record. In my opinion, this is terrible. I look down on the coaching staff, the athletic department, the principal, and the school board of this school. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that your only objective is to break a scoring record. Not only that, but it is unfair to the rest of the team. And how fair is this to the old record holder? In my opinion, this should not be allowed. Why even have a record if you want to break it this way? Maybe they should just choose who they want, take their picture, and hang it on the wall; It's pretty much the same thing. This makes me realize that I would certainly not want a child playing in this athletic department. And if I were an opposing coach, I would not even want to play them. Please give me your opinion.

aww thats pretty cute..someone is jealous /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> they did nothing wrong..she is one of the toughest and most athletic girls i have seen in a while..she got what she worked hard for..how about you just be proud of the girl for breaking the record and stop hating her because she is a better ball player then you could ever be

Congrats Ms. Lowe. And your missing a big point. No matter the circumstances she still had to put the ball in the basket more than the girl holding the record. Which she did. And what about the girls that played before there was a three point line? Should that be taken into consideration? She broke the record just appluad her for her accomplishment. And When I was in high school I never remember a Basketball game being cancelled and not being played on a later date.

For one, I know it happens a lot, sometimes you just don't have time at the end of the year to get all the games in.

My other point is that they didn't reschedule with the same team; they scheduled with two different inferior teams with two "girls only" games. If the school was so set on getting those two games played and rescheduled for the girls, why didn't the boys need to make up those games, too? Would that not have been fair to the boys team? ...I would say Scott High's boys coach had a little more sense and did not want to take a chance at his boys getting hurt in meaningless games with inferior opponents right before the district tournament.

I am not trying to debate the fact that Lowe is a pretty good player...or the fact that she is a good person (I don't even really know anything about her). I am saying that the coaching staff, athletic department, and school should not have done this. Not only do I consider it dishonest, but it is not what records are about.

I know records are made to be broken, but they are made to be broken honestly. It is just my opinion that the situation was handled poorly.

Two years ago, AC lost some games due to snow and scheduled Berean and the Ambassadors. Nobody wants to lose out on their allotted number of games. It's a fairly common practice to try and reschedule replacement games to help prepare for tournament time. Lowe is an awesome player and she deserves everything she gets.

Just curious. Who held record previously?

Casey West was the former holder of the record.

I would like to say congrats to Katie on breaking this

record I have really enjoyed watching her play ball

these last 4 years she plays the game the way its suppost to

be played. she is not just a scorer she plays D just as hard

her stats were somethging like 25 points,7 rebounds and 5 steals

a game this year. does anyone no if she is going to play

college ball any where? : /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

For one, I know it happens a lot, sometimes you just don't have time at the end of the year to get all the games in.

My other point is that they didn't reschedule with the same team; they scheduled with two different inferior teams with two "girls only" games. If the school was so set on getting those two games played and rescheduled for the girls, why didn't the boys need to make up those games, too? Would that not have been fair to the boys team? ...I would say Scott High's boys coach had a little more sense and did not want to take a chance at his boys getting hurt in meaningless games with inferior opponents right before the district tournament.

I am not trying to debate the fact that Lowe is a pretty good player...or the fact that she is a good person (I don't even really know anything about her). I am saying that the coaching staff, athletic department, and school should not have done this. Not only do I consider it dishonest, but it is not what records are about.

I know records are made to be broken, but they are made to be broken honestly. It is just my opinion that the situation was handled poorly.

Our team rescheduled a game for the Mon of tournament week because the coach wanted to keep their rythm going into the tournament. Not rescheduling games does NOT happen ALOT, it may happen sometimes, but they are almost always made up. Once again the TSSAA limits the number of games played, so coaches cannot schedule EXTRA games like you keep implying. Actually the number of games per year has gone down in the last couple of years (24 I think), so she probably broke the record with less games to try. I don't know the girl, have never seen her play, don't care about the reacord, but I HATE when people get on here and bash teenage kids. Especially when they don't even have a valid argument. Maybe the boys and girls coach have a different philosophy on getting ready for the tournament. Our girls didn't play our make-up date, because their coach felt they needed the rest. I just don't know how you can call it dishonest. She played the games, scored the points, got the record, seems pretty staight forward to me.