Who will coach Cleveland? Who are the new candidates?

auburn

Raider":2wrsclk9]

The people conducting the search at Cleveland, have clearly stated they want somebody with State Championship titles, so of course they were going to take a chance at some long shots.

More of a courtesy than anything else.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sound likes their a little too big for their britches to me....Cleveland isnt the dynasty that it was 15 years ago, the head coaching position doesnt carry the same amount of prestige it used to. There are plenty of good coaches out there who havent made it to Murfreesboro....Jmo

"Good" coaches aren't desired. Only top tier will do.. Sure it's not a dynasty, but it is still a top 10 program in the state. Steady and good talent along with good pay, great fan support and high expectation. Only 5-10 schools other than Cleveland that are equal or better situation for the coach. Must be a reason for 15+ head coaches to consider changing schools. /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

May 2, 2009

Football coach will remain at Brentwood

By Jeff Lockridge

THE TENNESSEAN

Brentwood High football Coach Ron Crawford has turned down an offer to become the new coach at Cleveland High in East Tennessee.

Crawford said he interviewed for the position after being contacted by Cleveland officials, but said that his happiness at Brentwood, the time of year and the task of trying to sell a house in the current market convinced him to stay.

Crawford said he interviewed for the position after being contacted by Cleveland officials, but said that his happiness at Brentwood, the time of year and the task of trying to sell a house in the current market convinced him to stay.

"Good" coaches aren't desired. Only top tier will do.. Sure it's not a dynasty, but it is still a top 10 program in the state. Steady and good talent along with good pay, great fan support and high expectation. Only 5-10 schools other than Cleveland that are equal or better situation for the coach. Must be a reason for 15+ head coaches to consider changing schools. /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

Seriously I dont mean to sound overly critical, but youre way off man. Great fan support? We bring more fans TO Cleveland than you guys do pretty much every time we make the trip over there (which really isnt that much of an insult beacuse...with the exception of Maryville....we probably do this every week) Only 5-10 schools are better? Not so fast my friend. At the same time...I dont consider Rhea County to be a "prestigious" job, but its a school with a fine tradition, above average talent, excellent fan support, and one of the best environments in the state.

I hate to burst the bubble but "top tier" coaching talent is going to be tough for you to find...this late in the game beggars cant be choosers. I dont know what you guys have left as far as coaches go but I would probably start looking to name some one the interim coach before too much longer, which would give you time to make the right hire next season.

Seriously I dont mean to sound overly critical, but youre way off man. Great fan support? We bring more fans TO Cleveland than you guys do pretty much every time we make the trip over there (which really isnt that much of an insult beacuse...with the exception of Maryville....we probably do this every week)

Visitor side is 1/4 of the home side so even when visitor side is cramped, the home side only has to be 1/4 full to have equal numbers. I do realize Cleveland doesn't travel as well as they did in their heyday (which really isn't saying much, winning cures road fan numbers).

Only 5-10 schools are better? Not so fast my friend. At the same time...I dont consider Rhea County to be a "prestigious" job, but its a school with a fine tradition, above average talent, excellent fan support, and one of the best environments in the state.

I never said anything about Rhea's tradition, but I do agree that Rhea is one of the better environments in the state. With that being said, they can never match the facilities/buying power of Cleveland. Not only is the fan support good, they also have deep pockets. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I hate to burst the bubble but "top tier" coaching talent is going to be tough for you to find...this late in the game beggars cant be choosers.

I agree, Wilson late resignation really but a kink in the whole process, along with the AD retiring (who has been talking about it for 2 years, so it wasn't really a surprise).

I dont know what you guys have left as far as coaches go but I would probably start looking to name some one the interim coach before too much longer, which would give you time to make the right hire next season.

I think the administration doesn't want to due this, fears of more of the same. The last two coach were promoted from within and neither one preformed up to expectation. I think the next round of candidates will be from out of state (if Crawford doesn't pan out).

May 2, 2009

Football coach will remain at Brentwood

By Jeff Lockridge

THE TENNESSEAN

Brentwood High football Coach Ron Crawford has turned down an offer to become the new coach at Cleveland High in East Tennessee.

With this confirming that Crawford has declined, I would have to believe that Cleveland will have get rid of the thought of landing a coach with state championship experience. This makes it much more interesting; they obviously won't have spring practice and summer workouts are just around the corner....

The last two coach were promoted from within and neither one preformed up to expectation. I think the next round of candidates will be from out of state (if Crawford doesn't pan out).

I definately agree with this statement. I've heard that this job has drawn some out-of-state interest, so that could definately be the next step. I don't believe Cleveland has any other candidates from southeast Tennessee.

Raider":21zo4pxb]

I definately agree with this statement. I've heard that this job has drawn some out-of-state interest, so that could definately be the next step. I don't believe Cleveland has any other candidates from southeast Tennessee.

I heard they offered the job to the Soddy coach. I've heard he was an intense coach and a great motivator. I heard it from a reliable source. Is this a good move? We need a coach like him.

I heard they offered the job to the Soddy coach. I've heard he was an intense coach and a great motivator. I heard it from a reliable source. Is this a good move? We need a coach like him.

E.K. Slaughter of Soddy Daisy, already told Cleveland that he has no interest in our program. Cleveland is definately in trouble. They only have one coach that could be tabbed as interim head coach and he does not want that, so that is not an option. They want a good, credible head coach, but no good coach is going to screw over their program like Wilson did to Cleveland by resigning in the spring. Cleveland might have to go after a young assistant coach.

Raider":d54oqmts]

E.K. Slaughter of Soddy Daisy, already told Cleveland that he has no interest in our program. Cleveland is definately in trouble. They only have one coach that could be tabbed as interim head coach and he does not want that, so that is not an option. They want a good, credible head coach, but no good coach is going to screw over their program like Wilson did to Cleveland by resigning in the spring. Cleveland might have to go after a young assistant coach.

The source says Slaughter is coming. They've wanted him from the start. Everything started too late, so whoever they hire is going to end up screwing their program over. Wilson should have resigned at the end of the season. Whoever it's going to be, I just hope they have some kind of sense!

Raider":1twtebko]

Yeah I think Cleveland will have to go either out of state to find a coach or find a good assistant like Cobble from Red Bank or Smith from Walker Valley.