Pre-season top 10 in 2A

Any of the TC guys ever see the hit Curtis Franklin put on Brad Cowans(Gordonsville)...it was brutal... "Dirty" Dete Woodmore could lay wood to. And Jatarius Osbourne flattened a whole bunch of people from the FB position. I heard stories about Larry Warner being pretty mean..but i never saw him play. Ronnie Claiborne and Chris Gooch...the Davenport brothers, Tommy and Kenny. Man so many..its hard to remember them all.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the TC guys ever see the hit Curtis Franklin put on Brad Cowans(Gordonsville)...it was brutal... "Dirty" Dete Woodmore could lay wood to. And Jatarius Osbourne flattened a whole bunch of people from the FB position. I heard stories about Larry Warner being pretty mean..but i never saw him play. Ronnie Claiborne and Chris Gooch...the Davenport brothers, Tommy and Kenny. Man so many..its hard to remember them all.

were the davenport guys the twins that used to down a gallon of milk each after every practice? i also heard a that jerry clift once retired three opposing offensive tackles in three consecutive plays, can anyone confirm that?

were the davenport guys the twins that used to down a gallon of milk each after every practice? i also heard a that jerry clift once retired three opposing offensive tackles in three consecutive plays, can anyone confirm that?

SP retired 3 Midway QBs in the playoffs one year. Actually the 3rd one continued with a broken nose. One of them was Lance Wheaton who got a scholarship to Tennessee.

SP retired 3 Midway QBs in the playoffs one year. Actually the 3rd one continued with a broken nose. One of them was Lance Wheaton who got a scholarship to Tennessee.

i don't want to sound cold or mean when i say this, but there is a certain sweetness to enjoy when one of those quick little pencil neck backs(full, half, 1/4, split, I, etc. etc.) just isn't quite elusive enough to avoid that monster lick that causes enough of an imbalance to make em walk that zig-zagged line back to the sidelines. ah, the memories that we can still remember! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

i don't want to sound cold or mean when i say this, but there is a certain sweetness to enjoy when one of those quick little pencil neck backs(full, half, 1/4, split, I, etc. etc.) just isn't quite elusive enough to avoid that monster lick that causes enough of an imbalance to make em walk that zig-zagged line back to the sidelines. ah, the memories that we can still remember! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I remember that particular game because of Wheaton being all-state and his dad being the coach. His dad was one of the first coaches to use a spread type offense and like to throw a lot. The first few plays were deep and they scored on a couple of drives and then they couldn't pick up the rush. The coach had an all-state tail back but didn't utilize him enough. SP made one of the biggest come backs in school history to win that game! I will say Wheaton had one of the best arms I have ever seen at the high school level . . . until he got clocked a couple of times in a row. Their 3rd team qb had some grit.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like it. When did Reggie Harper play? KL remembers back in the late 80's and early 90's when Dwayne Harper played. He could carry the mail. Is Reggie and Dwayne brothers?

Reggie and Dewayne are not brothers and most of the time the Harpers on the team are not siblings. It just a great big family tree that keeps on going!!!!

By the way Snoball, you laid a few mean licks on the field too!!!!!

I was all set to say that Humboldt would make a deep run in the 2A playoffs...very deep, but bad news out of Humboldt is being reported. Someone told me that a great athlete...very fast...very quick...very athletic...will not be playing due to grades. Quan Campbell is his name. With him, they were probably going to the state championship game. Without him, they will still be a very good team. He just added that something special to the team. But anyway, I hope this report is not true. If it is true, then he should have listened in class and should have done the work to get the grades.

I am sure u have heard by now he will be able to play come fall. Stay in the class room this spring and was told by a good source he would be ready this fall. Real good news for Humboldt fans. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I am sure u have heard by now he will be able to play come fall. Stay in the class room this spring and was told by a good source he would be ready this fall. Real good news for Humboldt fans. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

So are you saying he was the Valedictorian of Summer School. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> What "good source"? I'm calling BS /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" ... till you have facts.

Guest Termite

GTC. Trust me. We respect your opinion. It's just that Jacket fans like myself and Grunt will never come out and say, "2009 - The year of the Jackets, Who's going to touch us?", etc. Now, of course, every program has the posters that will make these types of claims, and we are no exception. But, other than a few "stirring the pot", so to speak, most of us realize that nothing is a given.

As for your question. Reggie is good with me! Although I never saw him play, the stories of him around town are legendary. Since I can only remember back to about 1990, I'll throw out a few players since then, in no particular order. After all, it's kinda like asking who is the greatest baseball player..... Ruth, Cobb, Williams? It just can't be answered.

Dwayne Harper

Chad Evitts - meanest, toughest I ever played with.

Micheal Scruggs

T.T. Harper - the only one of this group that didn't win it all, but he was just too good to leave off.

Dustin Dillehay

Nobody has mentioned Donnie Oldham. In my limited experiece with TC football........my top 3 would be Danny Joe Gregory, Reggie Harper, and Donnie Oldham. Try playing DE with Donnie and Reggie running a sweep to your side.......

Nobody has mentioned Donnie Oldham. In my limited experiece with TC football........my top 3 would be Danny Joe Gregory, Reggie Harper, and Donnie Oldham. Try playing DE with Donnie and reggie running a sweep to your side.......

Termite,

I am well aware of all of those names, but wasn't around to see them play. Just listed a few that I've seen with my own two eyes. If you played DE against those two, you may have played with my dad. I think he was about a buck-fifty, played center, and wore #55 for the Owls. Ooops...... My identity may be out of the bag for Mafia. Nevertheless, I've got a little bit of that black and gold, Defeated Creek blood in me. Still haven't decided if that's a good thing or not. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> jk.

Termite,

I am well aware of all of those names, but wasn't around to see them play. Just listed a few that I've seen with my own two eyes. If you played DE against those two, you may have played with my dad. I think he was about a buck-fifty, played center, and wore #55 for the Owls. Ooops...... My identity may be out of the bag for Mafia. Nevertheless, I've got a little bit of that black and gold, Defeated Creek blood in me. Still haven't decided if that's a good thing or not. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> jk.

Thats GOOD !!!!!

Guest Termite

Termite,

I may have been out there at DE when they were there, how much I played against them is a question. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I think I know exactly who your dad is.............and all your dad's brothers. I see him from time to time. He comes to a few SC games when TC isn't playing. I see your uncle from Cookville some too.

If you are who I suspect you are, then there is no getting away from that Defeated Ceek raising your dad got...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />