If TSSAA wants to fix the attendance problem...

bobcatfan300

I mentioned this at another site, but with Clarkrange, Pickett Co, Jackson Co, Clay Co, Livingston, Upperman, White Co. and Cookeville all potential state teams every year, TTU would be packed for the state tournament. This area supports their teams with huge crowds for home and away and even more would attend at Cookeville. Plus nearby schools like Oliver Springs, Smith Co., Friendship, etc would bring crowds. How many locals from Murfreesboro attend the games? I bet not many. But the Upper Cumberland area would turn out in force!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this at another site, but with Clarkrange, Pickett Co, Jackson Co, Clay Co, Livingston, Upperman, White Co. and Cookeville all potential state teams every year, TTU would be packed for the state tournament. This area supports their teams with huge crowds for home and away and even more would attend at Cookeville. Plus nearby schools like Oliver Springs, Smith Co., Friendship, etc would bring crowds. How many locals from Murfreesboro attend the games? I bet not many. But the Upper Cumberland area would turn out in force!

I am from Murfreesboro, and have no qualms about Cookeville hosting in any sport. Maybe not as geographically centered as Murfreesboro, but has more of a small town flair where folks would be more apt to support the State Championships. Cookeville has everything that you would ideally need to host the state championships.

If that is the case, then why don't they host the state tournaments at UT-Martin or at the Oman Arena in Jackson?

Westview, Gibson Co., Gleason, Bradford, Madison, Lake Co. etc... would be right there and have huge crowds as well. If the basketball tournaments are moved to Tenn. Tech, I'll no longer go unless GC is there due to the fact that Murfreesboro is a great spot for the state basketball tournaments and should be no reason to move it. I've gone to the boys state tournaments for the past 5 years as a neutral fan going just to watch. Of course it'll make attendance better for those schools over there, but what about the schools here in West TN. Forgot about that part huh? Cookeville is another 45 minute drive past Murfreesboro for us here in West TN.

I say they do it like this....

Let the football state championships be played in Cookeville at Tenn. Tech.

Let the Spring Fling continue to take place at MTSU.

Let the basketball championships be hosted somewhere here in the West such as Oman Arena(Jackson), UT-Martin, or Fed Ex Forum(Memphis)

How's that sound? Bet you won't like it because you'll have to travel.

If that is the case, then why don't they host the state tournaments at UT-Martin or at the Oman Arena in Jackson?

Westview, Gibson Co., Gleason, Bradford, Madison, Lake Co. etc... would be right there and have huge crowds as well. If the basketball tournaments are moved to Tenn. Tech, I'll no longer go unless GC is there due to the fact that Murfreesboro is a great spot for the state basketball tournaments and should be no reason to move it. I've gone to the boys state tournaments for the past 5 years as a neutral fan going just to watch. Of course it'll make attendance better for those schools over there, but what about the schools here in West TN. Forgot about that part huh? Cookeville is another 45 minute drive past Murfreesboro for us here in West TN.

Let the basketball championships be hosted somewhere here in the West such as Oman Arena(Jackson), UT-Martin, or Fed Ex Forum(Memphis)

They're not going to host it in Jackson or UT Martin for one simple reason.........They didn't put in a bid.

No Cash...No Play

6 classes, districts on a site within district for each class.

regionals class a aa aaa aaaa @ oman or utm. boys and girls 4 games a day until down to 1 in each class. that 1 goes to boro or cookeville or wherever for 4 team state toun.

5a and 6a memphis as rural has no 5a or 6a then to state

same in midwest, mideast and east

They're not going to host it in Jackson or UT Martin for one simple reason.........They didn't put in a bid.

No Cash...No Play

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

First off, we'll start with Jackson...

Jackson is home to the NAIA women's national championships. Fans, players, teams come from all over the country and it is supported extremely well by the local fans from around here.

Jackson, starting next year, will be home to the OVC baseball tournament being held at Pringles Park. (Home of the West TN Diamond Jaxx). They will also be host to the AA Minor League All-Star game in 2011 which will draw fans in from different places.

Seems to me as they are hosting 2 pretty solid tournaments and SPENDING MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

Secondly Martin, not UT-Martin, but the city overall.

Martin hosted the 2008 Little League World Series with teams coming in from all over the country. I heard the price that the city of Martin put in for that tournament and it was an outrageous amount of money. Martin hosted that tournament extremely well and I never heard any disappointments in the way they hosted it.

I could understand Martin not getting it due to the fact it's not that big of a town, but Jackson is definately worthy of hosting any tournament they want to. No cash, no play? Is that what you said?

Well guess what BCat, I know it is in the works. When TSSAA came to Cookeville to tour the football facilities, they saw the basketball ones as well. They were quite impressed, and want to let Tech host the basketball championships as well.

MTSU or TTU is fine by me. I live in Upper East TN and travel for the Boys' State Tourney every year. I went to the Girls' Tourney last year because our team made it. I prefer someone in Middle TN host because I think that's the most fair to all parties. That way both East and West TN have about the same distance to travel. I personally don't think you will fix the attendance problem no matter where you move the tournament. As it is now, the Memphis teams don't bring much of a crowd. If Memphis (or West TN) were to host, then a lot of those in Middle and East TN would not attend. Likewise, if the tournament was held in East TN, then those in Middle and West TN would likely be disenfranchised. Just my 2 cents...

Well guess what BCat, I know it is in the works. When TSSAA came to Cookeville to tour the football facilities, they saw the basketball ones as well. They were quite impressed, and want to let Tech host the basketball championships as well.

There's a lot of brainstorming going on that is of interest on this site. Some good thoughts. Cookeville likely will be good hosts and are on an interstate and easily gotten to centrally in the Middle of the State. Only one thing, letting them try in on for size is the only fair way for this to be approached. It's difficult for me to understand from a facilities point of view, how TTU can be less expensive than MTSU for the same event. They should be about the same. If there is some economic difference, need to get the engineers out to see why. Motels and housing likely comes nearer to being a problem especially with as many divisions but let them work it out. Restaurants are the same problem but let them work it out. Its hard to explain the volume of these events until one day they just appear and the volume just overwhelms everyone and the security of the operation becomes THE major item. Anyone having it needs to try it on for size just one time because it can take over the whole area. Being good hosts as Cookeville has always been, providing first class events is primary but remember having your whole town taken over along with all the other things, day to day, that happen a lot of things can slip up on an area, even just going to school. Anyone having it needs to try it on for size. The area of the town is not as large as some and that alone can be of some problem. Let them try it on for size.

And the last thing about attendance, and its very important, Schools continue to have to operate unless scheduling can be better. This is for football and for sure with basketball and providing better times and days for the events to be handled and schools still operate has never been an option. Its cut and dry how it happens, maybe not for adults but maybe so. UC has got their work cut out and the Plateau will be good hosts.

I'm with you G.C. Pioneer..Just as the posters are saying about some of the teams having a chance at State..You names quite a bit also..Even the small towns like Bradford and Gleason bring their whole towns practically..and a lot farther to drive than those teams basically having it in their back yards..Bring it closer to UT Martin or Jackson.would be full with Bradford,Westview,Gibson Co.,Gleason fans etc..!I'm with you also about not going if it's moved from Murfreesboro..I always try to go but unless Lake Co is there..probably wouldn't go..especially if football..If some of the local teams or several local teams like Westview and Gibson Co and Greenfield and Gleason if Lake Co isn't there..would probably go to the basketball tournament..Just because there are more local teams to cheer on..!

MTSU or TTU is fine by me. I live in Upper East TN and travel for the Boys' State Tourney every year. I went to the Girls' Tourney last year because our team made it. I prefer someone in Middle TN host because I think that's the most fair to all parties. That way both East and West TN have about the same distance to travel. I personally don't think you will fix the attendance problem no matter where you move the tournament. As it is now, the Memphis teams don't bring much of a crowd. If Memphis (or West TN) were to host, then a lot of those in Middle and East TN would not attend. Likewise, if the tournament was held in East TN, then those in Middle and West TN would likely be disenfranchised. Just my 2 cents...

i'm with you..Lake Co has the farthest travel of any school on this end of the state..Murfreesboro is the most fair place..!