Brentwood, Collierville, Maryville, Oakland, Whitehaven

Class 5A

Clinton, Henry Co., Melrose, Mitchell, Sullivan South

Class 4A

Fulton, Giles Co., David Lipscomb, Maplewood, Red Bank

Class 3A

Alcoa, Austin East, Tyner, Milan, Westview

Class 2A

Boyd Buchanan, Mckenzie, Oneida, Trinity Christian, Trousdale Co.

Class 1A

Huntingdon, Jo Byrns, South Pittsburg, Union City, Wayne Co.

The order is listed alphabetically and is in no way ranking any of these teams. These are just the Top 5 favorites, chosen by Murphy Fair himself, to bring home a state title in each class /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure about Westview. They normally are right there in the thick of things, but they lost their star RB in JC Griggs last year.

I was wondering why Goodpasture wouldn't be listed among the 3A favorites. They were extremely young in many areas last year and went to the state semifinals and unless something happened they have a lot of players returning to the field from that team this upcoming season.

No that doesn't mean that I am saying Westview is the team that needs to go either. Coach Coady has done a great job there for several years and the Chargers belong among the elite.

Goodpasture not being listed among the favorites simply is the one thing out of all of these rankings that amazes me the most /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I was wondering why Goodpasture wouldn't be listed among the 3A favorites. They were extremely young in many areas last year and went to the state semifinals and unless something happened they have a lot of players returning to the field from that team this upcoming season.

No that doesn't mean that I am saying Westview is the team that needs to go either. Coach Coady has done a great job there for several years and the Chargers belong among the elite.

Goodpasture not being listed among the favorites simply is the one thing out of all of these rankings that amazes me the most /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Murphy Fair is a joke,he picked these rankings on what someone else says.

I have to disagree as I have been getting Murphy's book since the mid 90's and I have to say he is usually pretty accurate in his preseason top 5 for each class. Just looking at his book from last year in his top 5 for each classification and the teams that played for the championship in that class and he usually hits on one of them.

Bold = was in his top 5 for '08

1-A:

Trousdale County 31 , Jo Byrns 14

2A

Alcoa 28 , Milan14

3A

Knoxville Catholic 28 , Mitchell 18

4A

Hillsboro 10 , Maryville 7

5A

Oakland 20 , Franklin 13

Div. II A

Davidson Academy 36, Harding Academy 34

Div. II AA

MUS 38, Brentwood Academy 18

I agree he just throws names out that other people like. preseason really says nothing except who he THINKS will go all the way alot of schools change every years, from being a great team to nothing EX: Pearl Cohn people go ffrom being nothing to a great team EX: DEkalb County we will see how accurate the man is when december rolls around.

I'm not quite sure about Westview. They normally are right there in the thick of things, but they lost their star RB in JC Griggs last year.

I think you maybe right they only had 6 seniors on last years team. Griggs will have to be replaced but like everone knows they have a good coach. They will still be very young we will just have to wait and see. Huntington will be good but man if they can survive that brutal schedule they play. Come playoff time they will have already been battle tested. They Martin and Milan back to back i don't remember in which order. Good luck to all of the area teams!

I think he does a pretty good job. Most of it is based on what the other coaches in the region think, but normally those coaches are right on. The results speak for themselves. He is not 100%, so don't get bent out of shape if you don't see your team. I'm sure he didn't have Oakland getting that good that quick!

I think he does a pretty good job. Most of it is based on what the other coaches in the region think, but normally those coaches are right on. The results speak for themselves. He is not 100%, so don't get bent out of shape if you don't see your team. I'm sure he didn't have Oakland getting that good that quick!

Nobody had Oakland getting that good that quick, and anyone claiming overwise or either prophetic or a liar.......

I agree. You would think Fair would learn that GP is always there in the top at the end. How do you not pick a perennial top 4 team in the top top 5? Seems like a safe pick to me.