Pirates scrimmages

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats kind of funny -correct me if i am wrong but someone said they thought east ridge was the weakest team there-when I saw them go goaline against south pitt--east ridge scored twice on them and south pitt didnt score any on east ridge--i talked to others at the scrimmage and and was told that east ridge did not give up a td in the entire scrimmage except to boyd during the goaline--east ridge may not be a boyd, mcminn central, or south pitt but from what i saw they more than held their own.

Thats kind of funny -correct me if i am wrong but someone said they thought east ridge was the weakest team there-when I saw them go goaline against south pitt--east ridge scored twice on them and south pitt didnt score any on east ridge--i talked to others at the scrimmage and and was told that east ridge did not give up a td in the entire scrimmage except to boyd during the goaline--east ridge may not be a boyd, mcminn central, or south pitt but from what i saw they more than held their own.

I was impressed with East Ridge. They are a much improved team

I frankly was disappointed. With all the hype, I would have thought they would have dominated a team picked last in their district. BC/SP had two series on long field. 0-0 on both. Both showed sparks at times. Both scored during goal line situations. The only time I saw BC go back was on a late hit and a retaliation call. By the way, if a big lineman pancakes you, It might not be a good thing to try to hit him in the crotch. It could be a senior lineman who is also a heavy weight wrestler :)

So you are saying SP a 1A school with about 260 kids should have dominated BC, a 6A with about 1800 kids??? Do you realize what you are saying? LOL

Actually in the first series SP did dominate....defensively BC gain ZERO yards and went backwards or had a short gain on just about every play except 1 broken play where the QB was running for his life and found a seam. We also recovered 2 fumbles on the 1st 10 play BC offensive series...2 fumbles in 10 BC offensive plays...we were after them. Offensively we are behind the D as expected but we moved the ball very well but had some potentially long runs end short when backs lost their footing and a sure TD was dropped by out 2nd string TE. Our QB had been sick with a stomach virus for the last 3 days and wasn't his sharpest either. We still have a way to go on offense but after 4 days in pads that is expected. The second series with BC was a little closer but we a lot of 2nd and even 3rd string kids in. BC...well....would do OK if they were in 2a or maybe 3a but they will get killed in 6a.

The only comment about the penalty is how come BC got into a scuffle with just about every team they scrimmaged and of all the other teams none of them got into a scuffle with anybody but BC?? That tells you where the problem lies

Boyd has a big physical team but speed of the backs looks to be off from last year. The line hasn't dropped off any from last year from what I could tell. We didn't scrimmage them so this is from watching them a little when they scrimmaged ER.

ER was pretty good from what I saw but since both teams ran a lot of 2nd teamers when we scrimmaged them it is hard to get a good read. Their 1st team looked good against the other teams from what I saw

MC is improved from last year. They were very good defensively.

We looked pretty good defensively. I like the new defensive philosophy, we pursue well and we get after people. Still we have a lot of young players who make mistakes too much. This year defensively will have some good, some bad and probably some ugly. Offensively we can be pretty good if we can put together a complete series. Mistakes and dropped balls killed us. We are young in places but will get better as the season moves along.

What I gathered from what I saw at the scrimmage. First, SP drove the ball on McMinn Central in 9 plays. On the 10th play they scored from about 30 yards out. Defensively they held McMinn Central to negative yards. Against Bradley Central the first time, the Pirates drove the ball about 50? yards and held BC to around 20 yards. Against East Ridge it looked like backups in mostly. I thought SP would do better with the backups but they weren't very sharp. I had to leave at this point but I thought the defense was great. Offense needs work.

I frankly was disappointed. With all the hype, I would have thought they would have dominated a team picked last in their district. BC/SP had two series on long field. 0-0 on both. Both showed sparks at times. Both scored during goal line situations. The only time I saw BC go back was on a late hit and a retaliation call. By the way, if a big lineman pancakes you, It might not be a good thing to try to hit him in the crotch. It could be a senior lineman who is also a heavy weight wrestler :lol:

So you are saying SP a 1A school with about 260 kids should have dominated BC, a 6A with about 1800 kids??? Do you realize what you are saying? LOL

Actually in the first series SP did dominate....defensively BC gain ZERO yards and went backwards or had a short gain on just about every play except 1 broken play where the QB was running for his life and found a seam. We also recovered 2 fumbles on the 1st 10 play BC offensive series...2 fumbles in 10 BC offensive plays...we were after them. Offensively we are behind the D as expected but we moved the ball very well but had some potentially long runs end short when backs lost their footing and a sure TD was dropped by out 2nd string TE. Our QB had been sick with a stomach virus for the last 3 days and wasn't his sharpest either. We still have a way to go on offense but after 4 days in pads that is expected. The second series with BC was a little closer but we a lot of 2nd and even 3rd string kids in. BC...well....would do OK if they were in 2a or maybe 3a but they will get killed in 6a.

The only comment about the penalty is how come BC got into a scuffle with just about every team they scrimmaged and of all the other teams none of them got into a scuffle with anybody but BC?? That tells you where the problem lies

Boyd has a big physical team but speed of the backs looks to be off from last year. The line hasn't dropped off any from last year from what I could tell. We didn't scrimmage them so this is from watching them a little when they scrimmaged ER.

ER was pretty good from what I saw but since both teams ran a lot of 2nd teamers when we scrimmaged them it is hard to get a good read. Their 1st team looked good against the other teams from what I saw

We looked pretty good defensively. I like the new defensive philosophy, we pursue well and we get after people. Still we have a lot of young players who make mistakes too much. This year defensively will have some good, some bad and probably some ugly. Offensively we can be pretty good if we can put together a complete series. Mistakes and dropped balls killed us. We are young in places but will get better as the season moves along.

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/index.cf ... CCBC57C598

soooo who got hurt?

One of the Allen Twins..Don't know how bad except his leg was really swelled bad this weekend. Hope it's nothing major but from a good source it doesn't look to good..

Hey Sportman..good to see you back on here....hope all goes well with the Allen kid.....hate to see these injuries this early in the year...keep us updated if you hear more!!

soooo who got hurt?

One of the Allen Twins..Don't know how bad except his leg was really swelled bad this weekend. Hope it's nothing major but from a good source it doesn't look to good..

Hey Sportman..good to see you back on here....hope all goes well with the Allen kid.....hate to see these injuries this early in the year...keep us updated if you hear more!!

Michael Allen. probable MCL tear. MRI to know for sure but doesn't look good.

I frankly was disappointed. With all the hype, I would have thought they would have dominated a team picked last in their district. BC/SP had two series on long field. 0-0 on both. Both showed sparks at times. Both scored during goal line situations. The only time I saw BC go back was on a late hit and a retaliation call. By the way, if a big lineman pancakes you, It might not be a good thing to try to hit him in the crotch. It could be a senior lineman who is also a heavy weight wrestler :thumb:

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/index.cf ... CCBC57C598

Thanks for the link. Good article overall. Unfortunately he left out a few details like the 2nd fumble on the last play and that the 15 yr scramble only got them back to being 5 yards behind the starting line of scrimmage and that we stopped ourselves after 2 big gains... not the other way around.

Glad to be back on here.. I love this time of year. Now if the weather will get a little cooler and make it feel more like football time.. All of you Pirate fan's good to talk with you again about our team.. Hope we have a better turn out to more of our games this year. I think this is the first time in a long time I really don't know what to expect from the Pirate's but I know they will be ready to do battle with all!!!!!!