Remind me again about who can recruit ...

dirkdiggler

Fella's...i have been in this discussion already hot n heavy with some west tn folks..several of the private schools in west tn recruit players,... know kids who went to play for them, been talked to about mine...its done and whats funny is it is denied, denied, denied!! Yes I know there is some hanky panky done with the public schools also....west tn hasnt had any big contenders for the state championship every year and that may be why, ,,,,,we arent looking hard enough.....we need to get with the program!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody can say this school or that school recruits, but funny thing is I haven't heard of any sanctions being handed down. I have only read posts that moan and groan because a player attempted to place his or her self in a better position to be successful in life, or the players parents decided a move was in their child's best interest. Surely, not a single poster on this site would have wanted Richardson to remain at Mt Pleasant, make such miserable grades that after high school, he was finished as a player, rather than put himself in a position to qualify for any college in the country. I have a friend who placed his child in a public high school from a private school and was told exactly how to beat the system by the public school administrators. They acted like this was no bigger deal than swatting a fly. The child never missed a beat, didn't sit for a year, played as if they had been a student at the public school their entire career. As I posted earlier, you can have rules that would fill a library, but if you don't have honesty and integrity on the part of school officials, it doesn't matter, dishonest dealings can and will go on and on and on. :popcorneater:

And you wont hear of any sanctions being handed down because the T$$AA wont investigate it too hard. Why? 1.) It is very hard to prove that a kid was approached by a booster or coach from a school and offered any scholarship money to play a sport. If everyone involved keeps their mouth shut it usually doesnt get out. It is funny that most of the kids offered an "Academic Scholarship" to "give them a good chance to get a great education" at a lot of the private schools in west Tn just happen to be good athletes. And you know the parents of these kids wont say anything because of the obvious situation it would put them and their child in. (2. There is a lot of money and influential people associated with these schools....Lawyers, elected officials, a lot of politicos involved.

Some say that is why Div II was created, because they can offer scholarships. If that is true, why do that since they are only "Academic Scholarships"?

And you wont hear of any sanctions being handed down because the T$$AA wont investigate it too hard. Why? 1.) It is very hard to prove that a kid was approached by a booster or coach from a school and offered any scholarship money to play a sport. If everyone involved keeps their mouth shut it usually doesnt get out. It is funny that most of the kids offered an "Academic Scholarship" to "give them a good chance to get a great education" at a lot of the private schools in west Tn just happen to be good athletes. And you know the parents of these kids wont say anything because of the obvious situation it would put them and their child in. (2. There is a lot of money and influential people associated with these schools....Lawyers, elected officials, a lot of politicos involved.

Some say that is why Div II was created, because they can offer scholarships. If that is true, why do that since they are only "Academic Scholarships"?

At the two Catholic high schools in Nashville, there is no such thing as an academic scholarship to the best of my knowledge. We only have need based financial aid, based on the parents income, plenty of students can receive aid whether they play sports or not. I don't know what schools you are referring to in Memphis because you have never named them. If Ryan had offered academic scholarships, my children would certainly have qualified for it, but as stated before, aid is not based on academics, its based on need. Not too may say that Div II was formed in order to give scholarships, everybody knows that all the whining by some public high schools and their coaches led to the split. :rolleyes:

PS I noticed that you made no statement at all about my post, part of which mentioned public schools in much the same light. You act as if somehow privates are more wrong if they violate the rules, but I submit that both public and private are equally at fault if they don't do things correctly. It always comes down to a few individuals in any school you care to mention and if they don't have honor and honesty, then nothing would surprise me. PSS Nobody and I mean nobody gets a free ride at the two Catholic schools unless someone gets their checkbook out, now realistically, how often do you think that happens.

At the two Catholic high schools in Nashville, there is no such thing as an academic scholarship to the best of my knowledge. We only have need based financial aid, based on the parents income, plenty of students can receive aid whether they play sports or not. I don't know what schools you are referring to in Memphis because you have never named them. If Ryan had offered academic scholarships, my children would certainly have qualified for it, but as stated before, aid is not based on academics, its based on need. Not too may say that Div II was formed in order to give scholarships, everybody knows that all the whining by some public high schools and their coaches led to the split. :blush:

PS I noticed that you made no statement at all about my post, part of which mentioned public schools in much the same light. You act as if somehow privates are more wrong if they violate the rules, but I submit that both public and private are equally at fault if they don't do things correctly. It always comes down to a few individuals in any school you care to mention and if they don't have honor and honesty, then nothing would surprise me. PSS Nobody and I mean nobody gets a free ride at the two Catholic schools unless someone gets their checkbook out, now realistically, how often do you think that happens.

What about Saint Cecilia Academy (All Girls School) that is operated by the Dominican Sisters? Is Saint Cecilia Academy not considered being in Nashville?

At the two Catholic high schools in Nashville, there is no such thing as an academic scholarship to the best of my knowledge. We only have need based financial aid, based on the parents income, plenty of students can receive aid whether they play sports or not. I don't know what schools you are referring to in Memphis because you have never named them. If Ryan had offered academic scholarships, my children would certainly have qualified for it, but as stated before, aid is not based on academics, its based on need. Not too may say that Div II was formed in order to give scholarships, everybody knows that all the whining by some public high schools and their coaches led to the split. :blush:

Need base scholarships are the very ones used to get athletes. It's easier for parents to show that they are broke than for their kid to make good enough grades to get an academic scholarship. This whole thread is a joke. You can have all the proof you want of recruiting , handing out wrongful scholarships , letting kids in for free , finding their parents a job , etc. etc. etc. TSSAA doesn't care , Private supporters will deny it call you a stupid, public school educated ,redneck hillbilly and go Maryville Alcoa maryville alcoa maryville alcoa.

At the two Catholic high schools in Nashville, there is no such thing as an academic scholarship to the best of my knowledge. We only have need based financial aid, based on the parents income, plenty of students can receive aid whether they play sports or not. I don't know what schools you are referring to in Memphis because you have never named them. If Ryan had offered academic scholarships, my children would certainly have qualified for it, but as stated before, aid is not based on academics, its based on need. Not too may say that Div II was formed in order to give scholarships, everybody knows that all the whining by some public high schools and their coaches led to the split. :roflol:

What about Saint Cecilia Academy (All Girls School) that is operated by the Dominican Sisters? Is Saint Cecilia Academy not considered being in Nashville?

It is in Nashville as you probably are aware of. But when I am talking sports, no I don't consider them, there is no need to. When you or anyone find that St Cecilia has willfully broken a rule in sports, let me know because the sky will fall. They are as honest as they come. :?:

Oh please...they're ZONED for a certain high school. They are SUPPOSED to go to that high school. That's why they call the middle schools "feeder schools" for the high schools. If you didn't have zones then kids could go to whatever school they wanted to which would be mass chaos and simply wouldn't work.

Honestly the best solution to the whole recruiting problem is to say there are no rules against it. If you're going to put a rule in place and nobody is there to police it, what's the point?

I`l just disagree with you on the first part. Yeah my kids were zoned for a certain public school and my son "CHOSE" to attend that school. (JCM) But that is just a zoned school set up in the public education system. In that same public education system he could have chosen to go to Liberty high school or Madison Academic Magnet school. He was not the property of JCM because JCM was merely one of his options.

In fact here was his options just in our county...

JCM (public)

Liberty (public)

Madison Academic (public)

USJ (private)

TCA (private)

JCS (private)

Home School (private)

He had no fewer than 7 choices just in our county alone. He does not belong to JCM. That is the misconception among a lot of these coaches. They are of the mindset that these kids have to attend their publically zoned school and then get upset when they take another option.

I do agree with you on your second point. I think the TSSAA needs to lighten up on their recruiting rules. There is no way the TSSAA can police it. They don`t have the manpower or financial resources. They need to allow each school system to enforce their own rules regarding transfers. Here is an example. I know a girl that plays soccer who was zoned to JCM but she did not want to go there. She applied to get into Madison Academic (another public option) . Her name didn`t get picked so she attended a private school. The next year an opening came up at Madison Academic (her first choice) but because of TSSAA transfer rules she had to turn it down because she would have to sit out a year. Let these kids go where they want without punishment.

Driving thru Green Hills this AM - sign on Hillsboro's (public school) huge school sign by the road -- OPEN HOUSE FOR ALL PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS -- with dates and times........ Hillsboro, last years AAA girls basketball state champion and a few football state championships in prior years.......