District 4a This Year

I hate when people blame a loss on officiating because there are so many more variables that go into a game. Good teams win in spite of officiating. I agree that the TWO fouls at the end of that game are not usually called and are usually called as jump balls. However, BOTH were fouls. If refs call it at the beginning…they should call it at the end too. Players shouldn’t be allowed to hammer each other at the end of the game trying to get the ball because the refs aren’t going to call it. If the OS player would have hit her free throws I doubt OS fans would be saying “Umm, yah the refs were the one that won that game for us.” Either way…it’s up to the players to win the game. Boxing out, hitting layups, playing great defense, hitting free throws, playing as a team, or just plain getting hot and being able to score that night are just a few of the many thing that can change a ball game. I don’t think this game should be said that the refs caused OS to lose. Truly the officiating was inconsistent and really bad BOTH WAYS. Both teams played hard and Coalfield deserves the credit for doing what it took to win and being the better team that night.

Once again, congrats to Coalfield and Wartburg for making it this far. I hope both teams are heading to Mboro next week.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh......I actually got the girls region right! Now it is going to get real interesting for both of these two teams. Coalfield is venturing into the unknown.....if they stick with the script they should be in great shape because they will be in familiar surroundings. Wartburg......not so much! They not only need to keep their blinders on (cause the officiating up there can be very one sided), but they have to play well all four quarters to beat NG. Regardless, by all accounts, Coalfield will have a better chance of making it to M'boro. (for what it is worth, I hope they both make it) AJ and TJ were the Dynamic Duo last night against the Lady Bulldogs, who didn't seem to go away right up to the end. You know, it's funny that every time the coaches in this District (at least in the girls side) get questioned about their abilities, they just seem to rise to the occasion. Davis has been hounded every since he started and Hines doesn't get any support either. Yet, they are both one game away from a State Tournament berth. Makes you wonder what a person is to do to keep the faithful happy. By the way Clarkrange and Forest are both sitting, waiting for next year to roll around. Think they want their coaches gone?.....I don't think so. And no.....I'm not saying our District Coaches are on Lamar Rodger's level, but if they were given the same personnel he has been priviledged to coach over the years......they would be more successful than one would think! :)

:thumb: Kaz :)

I think both teams have a winnable game Saturday.

The bad news for Wartburg is they go on the road, but they probably got the better draw with North Greene winning. Wartburg, however, has a lot of experience playing in the sectional contest.

Coalfield gets the advantage of playing at home, but Hampton is considered the best team in their region even though they lost Wednesday. Hampton also made it to the state tournament last year so that is something that should favor the Lady Bulldogs.

Good luck to both Wartburg and Coalfield.

Goose.....don't you think Coalfield's line-up is more "potent" than Wartburgs? I don't think there is any question Wartburg has better depth, but Coalfield has some impressive offensive firepower in their starting line-up. I've heard strong stuff about Hampton too, but NG has to be solid to have knocked them off. If either one of these teams reach the state, it will be a great accomplishment. Coalfield could even win a game there, but Wartburg would have to spring an upset to get a W in M'boro!

:) Kazzy :thumb:

Kaz,

From what I saw you had two teams that were seperated by 2 points. I see Coalfield and Wartburg as pretty equal at this point in the season, couldn't say that a month ago but it is true today. If Wartburg plays the way they did last night in the sub-state they will have a chance of winning. North Greene is a great team or they wouldn't be region champs.

Jones and Jordan are easily better than any 1-2 punch Wartburg has, but the lady dogs do have 9-10 players that are able to contribute. Down 14 with 4:30 left and come back to nearly win is impressive.

I think if fountain doesn't get hurt and miss 10:00 of game time in the first half the game would have been different for the bulldogs.

The thing I like most about Coalfield is they have a star in Jordan, but they have a lot of balance. All five starters are capable of double figures on any night and it's not uncommon for them to have four or five girls score between 10-15 points on the same night. Jones had a tremendous region tournament, leading scorer in all three games and she just kept hitting big threes. The one she hit late in the third quarter against OS was perhaps the biggest shot she made in the tournament. OS was up five at the time and seemed to have the momentum until Jones' triple gave the Lady Jackets a boost.

The thing I like about Wartburg is how hard they play. You just can't seem to knock them out. Several times last night it seemed Coalfield was going to pull away, but everytime they kept coming back and even got to within one with 6.1 seconds left.

Like Coalfield, Wartburg has a lot of balance. I don't think they have a three-point shooter as good as Jones or an overall talent like Jordan, but I can't think of any player that I'd rather have taking a shot in a clutch situation as Fountain. I also think Bunch at the point is an underated player. She seems to be the glue to the team.

I think both games Saturday are toss-ups and probably won't be decided until the final couple of minutes.

BPmom.....I don't disagree with you. In order for the Lady Bulldogs to still be playing they have had to been good over the last several weeks! You admit that AJ and TJ are as strong as any two kids in the district, IMO that is the difference in the two clubs. Wartburg is deep, but knowing which players are going to show up is probably a headache Coach D could probably do without. If he finds five on a given night....they are very solid. The two kids from Coalfield are so good they never completely "disappear", especially Jordan. I don't think they will both advance to the State Tournament, but I don't which one will be going home......if either! If I had to put money on one of them, I'd go with Coalfield. And I think Wartburg will put up a vallant effort, but come up just short!

:thumb: Kaz :thumb:

GO LADY BOBCATS: PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT WATCHED YOU ALL YEAR NOW KNOW YOUR ARE BETTER THAN MOST THOUGHT. ITS HARD TO BELEAVE THAT NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS TEAM WAS PICKED ALL DISTRICT FIRST TEAM: ALSO I WANT TO SAY GOOD LUCK TO COALFIELD, THERE ARE GOOD BALL PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM AND THEY MAY STILL HAVE A GREAT YEAR>

OS had a regular season losing record of 8-18 - WHY is it hard to believe not one person on this team was picked All-District First Team??

I guess if you use the team overall record i would wonder why sunbright had 2 on the first team with the record of 6-16 and 2-9 in district.

I think wartburg and coalfield will both come out on top. I think both games will come down to the last minute but wartburg and coalfield have been so battle tested coming out of District 4-A. Few large margin wins in 4-A. Jordan will find a way to make sure Coalfield gets there. Wartburg's seniors "been there done that" experience level will pull them through on the road. Fans are gonna see some good games tonight no doubt about that.

Coalfield wins 63-56. Hampton was down two with 23 seconds left and was taking the ball out on the baseline when a girl called timeout when they were out. From there Jordan made 5 of 6 free throws to seal the deal.

Wartburg lost 62-45. Heard they were down 33-13 at the half.