Clinton @ Dobyns Bennett

coonhunter292

SOS, play calling, can't tackle, need to wrap up, can't score from the 10, too slow, need a strength coach (the program is called BFS), no experience, one running back...everything will be fine. We have Central (1-30) in 2 weeks and the win column will start filling up. The tribe will be 8-2 or 7-3. The number of wins and losses are not as important as who the losses will be to. The games and season are so predictable. This team is very similar to a few years ago, slow and not very strong. The defensive backs are either small w/speed or slow w/size. The line on both sides appears to be weak. The team has little experience and that falls at the feet of GC for never subbing until the last 2 minutes. They do have a kicker walking the halls as well as some other football players that could help the team. They just dont see eye to eye with the mentality of GC, football is not first and the only thing in their life. IMO dont worry about last week or the outcome of the Clinton game. Take the experience of playing 2 good teams of equal or better talent and use it in the 2 big games later in the season. As CS goes, so goes the game and the season.

You dislike GC so much! but why? I just always wonder why you dislike him so much, there must be an explanation.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my opinion of the situation. For what its worth. The Farragut game should of been closer, but could of been worse. It should of been 28-21 but could of been 35-8 had Farragut not showed a little mercy at the end. A 28-21 loss would of been respectable and something to build on. But thats not what we got here. Someone said that you improve more between your 1st and 2nd game. I just hope that Clinton didn't here that. It would be nice if we improved and they didn't. I think we had better brace ourselves for a long season. The players are working hard to get better. We've had a good run over the years with lots of top notch athletes with size and speed all over the field. Seems like forever. We've just run up on a time where thats not the case now. We're small and not blessed with a bunch of athletes right now. The coaches have done "some good" and "some not so good". They obviously didn't get the boys in the weight room thats for sure. The speed we have on the team isn't going to get us anywhere when you go up against teams that outweigh you and are just as fast. Im not even going to talk about the play calling or the use or misuse of players. Its like beating a dead horse. This is the first time I can ever remember thinking that we could have a losing season at DB. Expect more of the same friday night.

Here's my opinion of the situation. For what its worth. The Farragut game should of been closer, but could of been worse. It should of been 28-21 but could of been 35-8 had Farragut not showed a little mercy at the end. A 28-21 loss would of been respectable and something to build on. But thats not what we got here. Someone said that you improve more between your 1st and 2nd game. I just hope that Clinton didn't here that. It would be nice if we improved and they didn't. I think we had better brace ourselves for a long season. The players are working hard to get better. We've had a good run over the years with lots of top notch athletes with size and speed all over the field. Seems like forever. We've just run up on a time where thats not the case now. We're small and not blessed with a bunch of athletes right now. The coaches have done "some good" and "some not so good". They obviously didn't get the boys in the weight room thats for sure. The speed we have on the team isn't going to get us anywhere when you go up against teams that outweigh you and are just as fast. Im not even going to talk about the play calling or the use or misuse of players. Its like beating a dead horse. This is the first time I can ever remember thinking that we could have a losing season at DB. Expect more of the same friday night.

All I want to know is why would you run your half back / full back to your weekside? Your week side is for pass blocking not run blocking. All I can think of is they are running from a stand out linebacker or something, but doing this will not solve the problem at all and Friday was a prime example. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious. Who on this board can explain this to me?

Actually running to the weak side is some team's bread and butter... it really comes down to what kind of athletes you have and if your running back is quick enough to get to the edge before the end/linebacker does... For instance Clinton ran to the weak side serveral times at halls... but one thing that helps them is that they never ever have a true "weak side" because their offense is designed to spread teams out... which in turn takes more bodies out of the box... and opens up your running game.

One more thing... I talked to a Clinton Asst Coach at the Clinton Middle game last night... Everybody has been saying that DB's secondary is their strongest part of their defense... Well according to him Clinton is going to try and pass on DB.. they feel like their recievers are way better athletes. His exact words were "dont be surprised if we throw thirty times on friday". Now Some of ya'll may feel like im giving something a way.. but the reality is if clintons passing game doesnt work out.. we can always go back to our always faithful running game.. and i dont think DB has any way of stopping that.... but we will see.. Im excited about these two teams matching up on Friday!

Actually running to the weak side is some team's bread and butter... it really comes down to what kind of athletes you have and if your running back is quick enough to get to the edge before the end/linebacker does... For instance Clinton ran to the weak side serveral times at halls... but one thing that helps them is that they never ever have a true "weak side" because their offense is designed to spread teams out... which in turn takes more bodies out of the box... and opens up your running game.

One more thing... I talked to a Clinton Asst Coach at the Clinton Middle game last night... Everybody has been saying that DB's secondary is their strongest part of their defense... Well according to him Clinton is going to try and pass on DB.. they feel like their recievers are way better athletes. His exact words were "dont be surprised if we throw thirty times on friday". Now Some of ya'll may feel like im giving something a way.. but the reality is if clintons passing game doesnt work out.. we can always go back to our always faithful running game.. and i dont think DB has any way of stopping that.... but we will see.. Im excited about these two teams matching up on Friday!

No, our secondary is not the strongest part of our defense. If I had to tell you what the strongest part is I don't know if I could. Probably coach Watson. But he don't play.

No, our secondary is not the strongest part of our defense. If I had to tell you what the strongest part is I don't know if I could. Probably coach Watson. But he don't play.

Haha well i heard you guys had some fast defensive backs and if clinton was going to be successful they had to run the ball... thats why clintons game plan surprised me so much

Roll Tribe i don't know who you are or your kid is but if you can't tell Rusty Clark is a football player you are blind. I've not been a big fan of coach Clark in the last few years but i kn ow that he knows that Rusty is developing into one of our best players. It's people like you who will screw Rusty out of playing time when we need him because GC will be afraid people like you will talk about him showing favorites. Now, if your kid is riding the pine behind Rusty he might want to pick another position or even another sport. Good hands and always in position on defense,what's bad about that? I'm not taking up for GC but merely stating the facts. Roll Tribe Roll.................

I never said Rusty isn't a football player, reread my post - he is a good defensive player and getting better all the time and he has earned that spot (this year). I like to watch him hit - you know he wants it bad. But... he doesn't have good hands, he's had a lucky catch here and there and thats gonna happen when you are put in that position, he has dropped critical passes. He is not a natural and they are trying to make something of him that he is not and it's not right. Its not my kid that is riding the pine behind him - my kid is doing ok for himself, but there are other kids that should be worked with that are not getting a fair shake - and a bunch more talented athlethes that if they were worked with properly when freshman and sophs would still be on the team and not "walking the halls". I always knew we'd be down this year, but I used to think that next year would be our year to win it all, but I don't know anymore. I have always been a fan of Coach Clark and I still am, but I am disapointed with some of his and the other coaches choices and I am not the only one, I am just the one putting it out there.

Your 100% correct Waco.I would have said that our strongest part was swarming to the run,but if you don't sting {make a tackle}all that swarming is just a lot of wasted sound.There is no reason for guys not to wrap up low on a big back,you can't just come up and fling yourself at them.Once again though,I think the key to this team {or any team}is having nice long drives { points on the board}and letting the defense rest.If Clinton passes all over the field with fast wideouts,Derrick and Sean will have to be super fast,and all the defensive backs will have to take great angles.

Your 100% correct Waco.I would have said that our strongest part was swarming to the run,but if you don't sting {make a tackle}all that swarming is just a lot of wasted sound.There is no reason for guys not to wrap up low on a big back,you can't just come up and fling yourself at them.Once again though,I think the key to this team {or any team}is having nice long drives { points on the board}and letting the defense rest.If Clinton passes all over the field with fast wideouts,Derrick and Sean will have to be super fast,and all the defensive backs will have to take great angles.

Once again thats what people were saying ealier in the thread. In week 0 halls did an good job of keeping Clintons offense off the field in the first half.. A couple turnovers and 7 minutes later clinton had put 21 unanwsered points on the board in the third qtr. Clinton can score really fast.. the key for DB is not letting Clinton get that chance by controlling the line of scrimmage (clintons line is their biggest weakness) and like you said having nice long drives.. do i think DB will be able to compete with Clintons overwheming offense? No, but who knows they have a good coaching staff... maybe they can come up with something

Question: who is DB's strength and condition coach?

Or, does DB have a strength and conditioning coach?

I see this question has not been answered yet............

yes, the silence is deafening!

Does DB really not have a S&C coach?

I can tell you from speaking w/ members of alcoa's staff that they attribute much of their success to their approach to S&C.

It seems from reading that Clinton runs the spread. If Clinton runs it like South then the only choice is to pick your poison and hope your own offense can keep up. With one exception....I think Watson had the quantitative answer to that one. DB has the patent on the spread killer i.e. 2006. Is Chris injury prone? If not then he needs to play D also. Look at Clinton's history. How many times did they fumble last year...the year before. If they protect the ball well then make them pass. 3 things can happen when you throw the ball.

Knox West did something against South that would be my first line for the secondary if I were a coach. They played bump-n-run. They slowed our WR's just enough that our QB had to make alternate decisions. That just so happens to be his forte' but not commonly so with most HS QB's. The problem with their bump-n-run technique was that it was not ruthless enough. If the WR is slowed it's one thing but if he is grounded then he is out of the picture. Couple that with DB's patented Watson 2006 method and IMO you have a workable situation. If Clinton is smart they will run it down your throat all night but the temptation to work on their passing game is a treat they will want to get under their belt before week 3. Like I said, choose your poison. As well you must develop new go to athletes now. Just a Southers view. I wish you good fortune with Clinton and I would love to see the game. With the right manipulation I feel you are in the game.

It seems from reading that Clinton runs the spread. If Clinton runs it like South then the only choice is to pick your poison and hope your own offense can keep up. With one exception....I think Watson had the quantitative answer to that one. DB has the patent on the spread killer i.e. 2006. Is Chris injury prone? If not then he needs to play D also. Look at Clinton's history. How many times did they fumble last year...the year before. If they protect the ball well then make them pass. 3 things can happen when you throw the ball.

Knox West did something against South that would be my first line for the secondary if I were a coach. They played bump-n-run. They slowed our WR's just enough that our QB had to make alternate decisions. That just so happens to be his forte' but not commonly so with most HS QB's. The problem with their bump-n-run technique was that it was not ruthless enough. If the WR is slowed it's one thing but if he is grounded then he is out of the picture. Couple that with DB's patented Watson 2006 method and IMO you have a workable situation. If Clinton is smart they will run it down your throat all night but the temptation to work on their passing game is a treat they will want to get under their belt before week 3. Like I said, choose your poison. As well you must develop new go to athletes now. Just a Southers view. I wish you good fortune with Clinton and I would love to see the game. With the right manipulation I feel you are in the game.

You really do make a valid point.... actually thats an awesome idea for making a spread team one sided... bumping the recievers and slowing them down might be DB's only chance at taking some of Clintons weapons away... but once again if Clinton has to run it down your throat, believe me they will... Ask Halls