MAPLEWOOD AT M.B.A. THIS WEEK

fleetwoodbrohm

Hard to imagine more exciting game. Two very classy teams. Maplewood lead 28-17 with 5 mins left. MBA scored, missed the 2 pt. conversion, then recovered arguably the best executed onside kick I've seen. MBA drove it in, made the two point conversion, and then stopped Maplewood, who inexplicably abandoned Van Leer's (sp) running in favor of a passing attack that hadn't done anything very impressive all night.

I don't know if anybody looks at Van Leer as a college prospect due to his size, but with Maplewood's size on the line and his speed and vision....he's a dangerous young man.

When you see a game like this, it really makes you detest the split. High school football needs more of these games, not less.

Excellent game all the way around.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to imagine more exciting game. Two very classy teams. Maplewood lead 28-17 with 5 mins left. MBA scored, missed the 2 pt. conversion, then recovered arguably the best executed onside kick I've seen. MBA drove it in, made the two point conversion, and then stopped Maplewood, who inexplicably abandoned Van Leer's (sp) running in favor of a passing attack that hadn't done anything very impressive all night.

I don't know if anybody looks at Van Leer as a college prospect due to his size, but with Maplewood's size on the line and his speed and vision....he's a dangerous young man.

When you see a game like this, it really makes you detest the split. High school football needs more of these games, not less.

Honestly ive never seen so many rule altercations in my life(private school edition i guess). 1 example 4th and 6 to go ..MBA runs a fake punt , MBA is called for a hold 10 yd pen 4th and 16 right? maplewood also flagged on the play personal foul 15 yd pen..both pen offset right? ..well not tonight .MBA is given a first down ..in this case the refs used superior math skills and came up with that crap ..in truth we all know 16 -15 = 1 not first down ..and you cannot i repeat cannot recover an onside kide that has went out of bounds ..they player grabs the ball while making contact with his teamates standing on the side line.. then you go from 4th down ... get a pen move back 5 yrds then get your down changed back to 3rd ..thats outright illegal in football, one word sums it up ridiculous.... other than that ..it was a pretty good game ..maplewood has nothing to be worried about ..".MBA GETS SHREDDED NEXT WEEK BY ENSWORTH" like i said at the begining ..MBA is nothing but short and simple. you do have one point woodroof ..van leer was abandoned at the wrong time ..they had nothing for him.... Hagen still side lined with injury ...could have made a big difference in this game. sugar coat this game i will not ..but i will move on ....next game.

boski out .. keep rolling panthers ...just a bump in the road.

Wow! What an ending!

Thoughts:

The onside kick was unbelievable. The best one I've ever seen, too. Key to the game. Also, I understand the angled kickoffs, but I've seen Fletcher bang it through the endzone many times...why didn't the MBA coaches trust his leg?

Fitz Lassing is a stud. He singlehandedly brought MBA back.

William Tanner can really catch the ball.

Colbert took a few too many sacks. The OL is to blame for several, but he should have thrown the ball away a few times. Part of the issue, I think, is that MBA calls a ton of rollouts and we just couldn't contain their quick ends and LB's.

Maplewood has great team speed.

VanLeer is one of the better backs I've seen lately. Why Maplewood didn't stick with him on the last possession is beyond me.

Joe Reigle made a difference defensively for MBA. Great game.

Brad Bars was lined up in a 3 pt. stance for much of the game as a DE. I'd like to see him back at more of a traditional LB personally....gives him more chances to make plays IMO.

Not much from the MBA D-line. Big guys, that can plug holes, but that was about it.

The refs made a clown show of this game...for both sides. Maybe the worst officiating I've ever seen. The 10 minute delay in the 3rd quarter so they could figure out what the heck was going on was unreal. Those guys should be suspended.

This game came down to what I thought it would - who wants it more in the 4th quarter. Maplewood was tired and got out-coached. MBA showed a lot of heart and got it done.

MBA will need to greatly improve (particularly wrapping up, KO & KO returns, and finishing blocks) to beat Ensworth next week. Having said that, I was proud of the heart that the Big Red showed tonight.

Kudos to Maplewood for scheduling MBA and playing with heart and class. They will go far this year. Looking forward to next year's game. It's nice to see some old metro matchups back again.

Roll Red.

I agree great game all around, it's a shame it took 2:45 to play it. It hurt both teams. I was surprised to see the MBA players cramping, it was a pretty big problem. Knowing that coaching staff it is difficult to believe the MBA players were not properly hydrated.

Honestly ive never seen so many rule altercations in my life(private school edition i guess). 1 example 4th and 6 to go ..MBA runs a fake punt , MBA is called for a hold 10 yd pen 4th and 16 right? maplewood also flagged on the play personal foul 15 yd pen..both pen offset right? ..well not tonight .MBA is given a first down ..in this case the refs used superior math skills and came up with that crap ..in truth we all know 16 -15 = 1 not first down ..and you cannot i repeat cannot recover an onside kide that has went out of bounds ..they player grabs the ball while making contact with his teamates standing on the side line..got from 4th down ... get a pen move back 5 yrds then get you down changed back to 3rd ..thats outright illegal in football, one word sums it up ridiculous.... other than that ..it was a pretty good game ..maplewood has nothing to be worried about ..".MBA GETS SHREDDED NEXT WEEK BY ENSWORTH" like i said at the begining ..MBA is nothing but short and simple. you do have one point woodroof ..van leer was abandoned at the wrong time ..they had nothing for him.... Hagen still side lined with injury ...could have made a big difference in this game. sugar this game i will not ..but i will move on ....next game.

A personal foul is 15 yards & an automatic 1st down.

Tonight was certainly one of the most exciting and bizarre high school football game that I've seen in a while. I believe everyone would agree that the officials demonstrated incompetence on too many occassions this evening. Forgetting the down count is down right embarrassing. But I do believe they got the holding/personal foul ruling correct. No matter what happens with the yardage, a personal foul on the defense results in a first down (unless the offsetting penalty is a personal foul as well). At least that is how I believe it works on the pro level.

I couldn't see the end of the on-site kick, but if anyone can come up with a tough ball, it would be the Tanner kid. He also made some really unbelievable catches tonight. Fletcher also derseves a ton of kudos for what appeared to be an almost impossible to execute kick. While on the subject of Fletcher, I agree with other posts - why is a supposely Division I kicker not given the green light to kick kickoffs in the endzone? His best kick of the night was the one he kicked out of bounds and was penalized.

What can you say about Fitz Lassing? He literally put this team on his shoulders this evening and carried them to victory. He was definitely the player that had the most to give in the last five minutes. While I thought Tyler Franks had some good runs, was I the only one that was shocked that MBA doesn't give the ball to Lassing on the 4th and 1?

Maplewood is a really good team and I wouldn't be surprised if they take this "the one we let get away" and turn it into a serious run at a state championship.

As I stated in my earlier post, MBA has a serious challenge when it comes to giving up big plays. If Maplewood's back gave them fits, what do they expect from Ensworth's Orleans Darkwa? Yikes!!!!

But for tonight, MBA should celebrate one of the school's greatest comeback wins. Tomorrow, the focus can be on the elimination of those silly penalties and unnecessary sacks.

Congratulations MBA and good luck to Maplewood on their pursuit of a state championship.

Honestly ive never seen so many rule altercations in my life(private school edition i guess). 1 example 4th and 6 to go ..MBA runs a fake punt , MBA is called for a hold 10 yd pen 4th and 16 right? maplewood also flagged on the play personal foul 15 yd pen..both pen offset right? ..well not tonight .MBA is given a first down ..in this case the refs used superior math skills and came up with that crap ..in truth we all know 16 -15 = 1 not first down ..and you cannot i repeat cannot recover an onside kide that has went out of bounds ..they player grabs the ball while making contact with his teamates standing on the side line..got from 4th down ... get a pen move back 5 yrds then get you down changed back to 3rd ..thats outright illegal in football, one word sums it up ridiculous

Officiating was indeed subpar tonight. "Subpar" may even be too nice.

In a night of many questionable calls, two stand out. One is not mentioned above - the MBA shuttle pass that was ruled a fumble, which led to Maplewood's second TD. A shuttle pass is indeed that - a pass. Given the confusion reigning all night by the stripes, I don't know if the officials deemed it a catch and a fumble, or if they don't know that a forward flip (shuttle pass) is a pass and, if dropped, is not a fumble but instead an incompletion. From my vantage point on the opposite sideline, he never had possession (probably a similar vantage point that the Maplewood side would have had on the onsides kick on the MBA sideline).

The other is the down issue mentioned above. There is no question that it was third down when the downs marker guy and the officials called it fourth down. Film will unequivocally prove that. Then you have the penalty that, if memory serves, moves it to fourth and six from fourth and one. Then you have the divine inervention from who-knows-where that tells the officials it was indeed third down before the fourth-and-one penalty play that should have never been. Thus, it's really hard to say who got the shaft on that series of confusion - was it MBA, who should have had a third-and-short down from the get-go instead of a third and longer play after all the fixes, or was it Maplewood, who had the officials reverse a fourth down call, albeit an incorrect fourth down call?

What can you say about Fitz Lassing? He literally put this team on his shoulders this evening and carried them to victory. He was definitely the player that had the most to give in the last five minutes.

I have seen many a MBA football player over the years, and he ranks right up there as one of the great ones. He averaged over seven yards a carry tonight, which also is about what he averaged all of last season - pretty good numbers for a fullback. And whether carrying the ball or blocking for the tailback, you just know he is going to lay some wood on somebody on defense.

The Bartholomews set a nice standard at fullback for MBA over the past 15 years, and Lassing is definitely cut from the same mold.

Honestly ive never seen so many rule altercations in my life(private school edition i guess). 1 example 4th and 6 to go ..MBA runs a fake punt , MBA is called for a hold 10 yd pen 4th and 16 right? maplewood also flagged on the play personal foul 15 yd pen..both pen offset right? ..well not tonight .MBA is given a first down ..in this case the refs used superior math skills and came up with that crap ..in truth we all know 16 -15 = 1 not first down ..and you cannot i repeat cannot recover an onside kide that has went out of bounds ..they player grabs the ball while making contact with his teamates standing on the side line..got from 4th down ... get a pen move back 5 yrds then get you down changed back to 3rd ..thats outright illegal in football, one word sums it up ridiculous.... other than that ..it was a pretty good game ..maplewood has nothing to be worried about ..".MBA GETS SHREDDED NEXT WEEK BY ENSWORTH" like i said at the begining ..MBA is nothing but short and simple. you do have one point woodroof ..van leer was abandoned at the wrong time ..they had nothing for him.... Hagen still side lined with injury ...could have made a big difference in this game. sugar this game i will not ..but i will move on ....next game.

1. on the fourth down with the fake punt, the penalties do NOT cancel out because the holding was downfield, and holding, in football, is penalized from the spot of the foul, and that made it 4th and 13, plus 15+ 1st down.

2. The onsides kick had not gone out of bounds, but whatever makes you feel better.

3. It was third down, and since you like math so much, 1+2=4? no 1+2=3rd down. MBA had run 2 plays and the refs mistakenly gave MBA a third down, and then it was changed, and rightly so

4. If you want to blame the refs for the loss (which clearly you do) you should keep in mind the fumble call in the second quarter. It was a shovel option going left on about MBAs 25-30, and Colbert pitches it forward to Lassing, who drops it, clearly never having possession, and it was ruled a fumble. Maplewood gets the ball on the MBA 30 and scores to tie it up at halftime.

Its always good to see that sportsmanship is still alive and that people dont try to blame a loss on the refs

Congrats to MBA, but that Maplewood running back is the best athlete Ive ever seen. GREAT GAME to both teams

Hey Boski im sick of your excuses...MBA won fair and Square. Hey on monday all the Maplewood kids go and smoke weed all day and skip class. While the MBA kids go to school and learn about how to achieve in life and have a 7 page paper due on Tuesday. Quite Bashing the MBA boys on how they cant play football!

Maplewood should never try to come play with the big boys again....just stay in little 5A or whatever division yall play in. Next is EHS...Hello Coach Hiett!! U are a great advisor but i hope MBA wins. But really EHS vs. MBA wil be a great game.

Antonio Richardson will be a terror in the game and I hope MBA can find a way to contain him. He is almost as big as the Batman building in downtown Nashville!! Also Sam Cooper and Orleans will be a handfull for the Big Red.

Also Oldgoldandorange91.....SOUR GRAPES!!!! Tanner caught it in bounds and I guess Maplewood does not work on Special Teams because coach Thompson must play Madden 10 on XBOX and never punt when he plays video games.

Thompson=0 state titles

Mcgugin=1 state title....get some!!!!

WHO DO YOU KNOW AT MAPLEWOOD THAT SMOKES WEED? WHY WAS THAT COMMENT EVEN NEEDED? TAKE THE WIN LIKE YOU WANT THEM TO TAKE THE LOSS. WITH CLASS RIGHT?

Hey Boski im sick of your excuses...MBA won fair and Square. Hey on monday all the Maplewood kids go and smoke weed all day and skip class. While the MBA kids go to school and learn about how to achieve in life and have a 7 page paper due on Tuesday. Quite Bashing the MBA boys on how they cant play football!

Maplewood should never try to come play with the big boys again....just stay in little 5A or whatever division yall play in. Next is EHS...Hello Coach Hiett!! U are a great advisor but i hope MBA wins. But really EHS vs. MBA wil be a great game.

Antonio Richardson will be a terror in the game and I hope MBA can find a way to contain him. He is almost as big as the Batman building in downtown Nashville!! Also Sam Cooper and Orleans will be a handfull for the Big Red.

Also Oldgoldandorange91.....SOUR GRAPES!!!! Tanner caught it in bounds and I guess Maplewood does not work on Special Teams because coach Thompson must play Madden 10 on XBOX and never punt when he plays video games.

Thompson=0 state titles

Mcgugin=1 state title....get some!!!!

If I remember correctly, did a former MBA player and University of Tennessee lineman not have marijuana-related disciplinary issues during his senior year? Atleast he was still able to graduate and did not lose his scholarship though. What is the latest on his situation with the UT football team?

Have fun in PE on monday deepsouth.