New IMAC

littlerock

Seymour girls won round one at Seymour vs Cocke County 43-38. Casie Cowan got the best of Morgan Buda this round and Shaelyn Brown battled Shannon Depew to a virtual stalemate, even though giving up a good 6"-8"! The game was close throughout and the Seymour girls, including Jordan Ballard, Brittany Seagle, Hayley Clark played nice games. Just one game in a long and tough conference schedule!

Shannon Depew has really worked on her outside game and really poses some matchup problems. Morgan battled some foul problems.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in this one WAS guard play!! Cassie is a very good and SMART pg and she outplayed in every aspect Buda. I would say Brown did a good job but wouldn't call it a stalemate-if not for what Depew did Cocke Co may not have scored what they did in the first half. If gd play doesn't improve for the big red then it will be a long season of disappointment. As long as there are headcases on the floor then the better coached and discipline teams will always beat them-you can't win when your quote unquote "leader" is yelling and cussing her teammates. Just me two cents from a fan who has watched the big red alot

bkbfan30,

I didn't see ANY yelling or cussing from either team. I sat directly across from the benches. If anything was said by any CC player it was pretty discreet! I thought it was a hard played game on both sides. Not sure either team played great but both played hard and cleanly. Cocke County is a good team and it is a long year. The IMAC looks like the SEC football with Mo West being Florida/Alabama and the rest of us have the potential to beat each other up.

I don't pump Shaelyn up very often. Shannon Depew is a great player and Carson Newman is lucky to get her! However, Shannon had 14 points, Shaelyn had 13 points. They guarded each other the whole game, with the exception of a few trips when CC zoned. I don't know the rest of the stats (they appeared to be fairly even) but what exactly is your definition of a stalemate! Mine is they pretty much cancelled each other out. Shaelyn did a great job on a great player and Casie won her battle this time.

It was only a 5 point game-anyone's game. It's not the end of the world.

Based off of last night, I would say that Cowan is better than Buda. She can dribble with either hand with ease and can make any pass in the book. She is also a better shooter than Buda . I would say Buda is a better defender. I have seen the "cussing" the one post was talking about. I don't think its really that, its just more whining and frustration when she gets in foul trouble. She's a competitor so it's natural. The Lady Red are probably gonna finish 2nd or 3rd in the conference and lose big to West. They just don't have anybody else outside of Shannon that can create anything for herself offensively. This team is terrible at shooting and will have to hang their hat on defense which it has typically done the last few years. The posts are also gonna have to finish shots at the basket or the score will look about like it did last night. This team will miss Alex Suggs a lot because she provided the extra ball handler, scorer, and shooter that this team simply doesn't have. The posts will have to step up for this team to get where it wants to go. Congrats to Seymour they played a good game.

No Discipline players talking back to Coach, no leadership from Seniors= very little wins. Sorry but thats the way it is Wester better get in charge or they will lose more than they win. Big girl cant throw it in the ocean or make a lay up 25 cant make a lay up Buda hustles and plays hard and is every bit as good as the Seymour guard on any given night. Depew plays with no heart and no leadership the other little guard 10 should be playing more. This team has the chance to win a lot of games if they can get in control.

Hold the Bus!....Ive watched the comments and refrained from posting.....but the remark about Depew is so off base. To say Shannon plays without heart is complete crap. To average a double double is not the product of a player without heart. Ive seen Shannon in more big games aau and hs than most and no coach who she has played for or a coach that has coached against her would agree with you.

Buda and Depew are GREAT players! I agree that on any given night Buda is as good as Cowan. Depew is a talented, dedicated, hard-working player. I've never seen her play without heart and I've coached against her more times than I care to remember! LOL . If the Cocke County fans don't want them, I have a big basement and will move them both into it this weekend!

We're all going to lose games in the IMAC I think. Except for you know who.

Buda and Depew are GREAT players! I agree that on any given night Buda is as good as Cowan. Depew is a talented, dedicated, hard-working player. I've never seen her play without heart and I've coached against her more times than I care to remember! LOL . If the Cocke County fans don't want them, I have a big basement and will move them both into it this weekend!

well i can tell you one thing panther, you know who has cirlcled their game with your seymour team so you will get a good effort from them i think. good luck!!

I don't chime in a lot...

but I've watched Shannon Depew play for a long time. I don't think playing with a lack of heart is any issue.

She has always been a vocal leader and was last night, she works a lot in the gym and to watch her play through the end of last season like she did says enough about her.

I have to agree...Shannon is a class act and hard worker dont confuse her broadening her game by adding the outside attack to lack of heart. People are just used to seeing her battle in the paint. Congrats Shannon on C-N. :roflolk:

well i can tell you one thing panther, you know who has cirlcled their game with your seymour team so you will get a good effort from them i think. good luck!!

I think all the IMAC games are circled for everybody...it will be anything but boring this year....what a group of teams that have multiple weapons. Good luck and God bless. :roflolk: