Science Hill @ Tennessee High

THSVikings2004

'Toppers...ain't you got no pride? Yall better git on up in here and protect yo' women and chilns' Them rapin', piligin' Vikings are goinna' burn yo' house down. Where yall at?

Yeah, where are you Toppers? What are some of your thoughts and predictions on this match up? You too, compusatman. What are your thoughts on this match up? Which team has the most talent? :justwrestle:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Toppers have solid players in many key positions but also have some young players in key positions.

Defensively they will attack you on every play but sometimes being agressive leads to a big play or two but they always seemed to rebound. The defense comes with a game plan and adjusts to what is needed as the game progresses.

Offensively they have some good players but a few have struggled so far this season but they don't give up. IMO they try to change too many plays at the line of scrimmage which adds to the struggles, Plays are changed many times even if the D has not but again the coaches know what play has been called not the fans. (but I still don't think every team we face is setting up the correct defense as many times as we check off)

All in all I say if they play as well as they can SH will win this game but I don't look for a blow out from either team regardless of who wins.

SH 17-13

This is no doubt the first test of the season for the Vikings, and like several of you have said the jury is still out on the defense. I would quite give them a bad grade though. What I’ve learned over the years is that after Joselin (I think his name was) ate us alive over the top the 2005 season, our secondary coach has gone to a “don’t get beat deep” style of coverage. He coaches to give the 10 yard cushion and allow the short stuff underneath. To the naked eye it looks like our defenders are scared to cover the wideouts… but that’s not the case. It’s simply a compensation for what (in some cases) is our lack of speed at the corner position. But as the game goes on and the confidents grows… they tighten it up. But I have to tell you that we have what I call a “heart changer” at free safety… and he was lumber jackin in the VT game. So come across the middle if you want too!!! :thumb: I think I’m going to call him “THUMPER” because of his ability to flat out lay the wood at such a deceptive size. On defense if the Hill over comitts one way or the other they will pay for that mistake in this game. Crocket committed to the pass and Virginia High to the run and they both paid dearly for that. From my scouting report it sounds like Science Hill may have a little trouble passing on the Vikings. I was told the QB has a good arm but lacks the size to pass over a good interior line. If that be the case, then Mitchell will be the focus of our D. If anyone from the coaching staff is reading this, here’s a bit of advice… DON’T KICK TO # 23… don’t do it!!! We barely have the team speed to deal with him out of the backfield much less in the open field. That’s my only concern. If we stay par to course from how things have gone up to this point in the season, this one should be the “coming out party" for the 09’ Viking ship!! :blink:

I feel the 'Toppers are the Superior team...on paper. I felt the same thing when they played 'Betsy.

The Vikings will roll over Science Hill as if they were one of the previous wins on their schedule. It will be a blow out. Yes, I said it. Power, finese, and depth. Pick your poison is a very dangerous game to play. It's like Roulette. South is the master of this game. Face it guys, if you run the Wing T then you better be a master of it because at 2 scores down it's history. The spread or a good passing game and a superior running game of equal explosion is impossible to deal with at the high school level. My son has discovered that D tackles and LB's at the college level know how to wrap up. Ten yards a carry does not exist. But running the spread in HS is a game of isolation. A quality RB one on one with a DT or LB is generally a breakaway play. Ty Garvin and Clint Phillips not withstanding. Defense becomes the name of the game.

Ryan Fuller, Souths premier O lineman is tiny. But he is a genius. He is a master at lightning quick blocking technique. He understands brute force is not what it takes to spring a RB into second gear. This demands the RB read the D and see the field. 4.4 speed is not a factor from snap to second gear...quickness and 6th sense is. 4.4 speed is for space. If Shephard has come to grips with this then it's all over but the crying. So few RB's understand the cutback or when to implement it. I think Orlando Gammon does understand it.

That said, the Hill has speed. You cannot disrespect speed. It will give you an enema. For Science Hill to win this game it will take a quality kicking game and most importantly...PRESSURE ON THE QB. Harmon is the heart and soul of that O and shutting him down or at least slowing him down will even the field. This should be Science Hill's agenda.

Nine times out of ten in HS football a coach will opt to shut down the run willing to take a chance on the passing game. And the qualified risk is to play tight coverage on the wheel routes and chance the fly pattern. This would be a terrible mistake against WR's the calibre' of South's. South has 5 WR's that can burn any DB in the region with 2 that can haul in the rock at any overhead angle. I am not familiar with the athleticism of the Vikings WR's. They may very well welcome this scenario. However, I do not believe SS will incorporate my version of the only game plan realistically at his disposal. He will give up the medium and crossing routes to save the fly routes. He will get burnt and the chains will move. Over time in the course of the game the corners and LB's will lose focus and if there occurs a break in pressure on the QB a quick handoff to Shephard will rip the D to shreds and along with it any momentum a blitzing D could muster. A quick strike O is the only D at this juncture.

Who gets the ball first will be crucial.

Two things: One, the Hill will be hungry to save face in the conference. Two, Tennessee High has a propersity to be overconfident.

I still still take the Vikings...they are on a mission.

Does anyone know if this is the tv game of the week ? I think SH has had the tougher road to this point,but it sure sounds like TH has it rolling pretty good.I'll say 17 -10 TH, in a rain that will pass us up in Kingsport and slow Science Hills good athletes down a bit.That's a two for one pick :roflol:
Yes batman this is the tv game of the week.

Who gets the ball first will be crucial.

Two things: One, the Hill will be hungry to save face in the conference. Two, Tennessee High has a propersity to be overconfident.

I still still take the Vikings...they are on a mission.

Spot on Comp!! There is a difference between having confidence and being overconfident. One is called “swagger” the other is referred to as “having the big head”. I think the Vikings as well as DB struggle with this at times. Years at the top can tend to do that to ya. Can you see the swell? :roflol: (lol) In the last couple of days I’ve had a chance to talk to players as well as fans of the Vikings, and to be honest… the fans just plain out have the BIG HEAD; the boys are focused but confident. They know that these first three games were just preparation for the “meat” of the schedule. We so easily dismiss the Vikings first three opponents (and I include myself) because of the beat down they received. But East has a good team this year and they fight hard all game long, but have little if any depth (and a crybaby for a coach). Virginia High has a good team period and IMO would have a 500 season in the Big 8… they just can’t beat THS. I think it’s a rule or something!! :roll: Crocket is not that good… period. So it’s not like the Vikings were out there playing a pick up team at the Y. Two of the three teams had the ability to challenge the Vikings. This reminds me of the 04’ season. We kept on thinking that the next game was going to be the challenge. East even came into the end of regular season game undefeated, and was favored in the game by some annalists. The headlines in the paper the day after the game was “Stoning at the Castle” with the Vikings winning 54 to 0. The Vikings are a very good team this year without a doubt, and TEAM is the key word. This is a team that’s doesn’t really excel at any one thing but is good to very good at everything… with depth! I just need this game for my own confidence. For me seeing… is believing. :thumb:

Just a side note. Virginia High had several very good athletes on their team. I’m not trying to discredit R. Michele on The Hill, but the RB Dock from Virginia High has at least two steps on anybody in the Big 8 with the exception of Steele from DB. And he has one on Steele! That’s not my opinion… Dock has proven it on the track for the past two years. He actually ran Keenan down from about 8 yards back… with no angle in the VT game. Those that saw it know what I’m talking about. He scored about an 18 yard TD which was his longest gain against the first team. I think he finished with about 70 yards most coming off of a 30 yard scamper at trash time. I’m just sayin…. :roflol:

One more thing to add. The Vikings had 7 (seven) different players to score in the VT game and Shepard and Harmon both still got their 100+. I’m just sayin… :roflol:

That crow you're going to have to eat is going to be the size of Bristol by the time the South game gets here if you all keep winning. :thumb: If you all blowout SH this week, I will give you props though.