Dobyns Bennett vs Sullivan South

BatmanDB

Hello everybody. I just got out of Woodridge long enough to post and then I've got to go back. My son and I stayed till the bitter end. I will only say one thing about South. They are better than they played against DB. Whether it will be seen this season is debatable. One more thing about South...that is the worst South effort I have seen since 2004. Incredible. There were about 4 college scouts at that game.

For Dobyns Bennett, I guess it takes the hatred for the Rebels to bring out your gut. What bothers me is that the way you played against South gives you no excuse for any of your losses. You should currently be undefeated. Yes, including Farragut. I don't believe Farragut will be the 2009 TN State Champs. I'll give that crown to Blackman. In all sincerity, the Tribe team that played Oct. 2nd should have killed Farragut. So in that light I guess we have a stake in bringing you out of the closet. I guess we bring out your best. You were dominate all over the field...at every position...we had no answer. I previously said I would have no excuses for the game if you won. And I don't.

All I can say now is if you lose another game then beating us was just an accident. You should go deep in the playoffs with the effort you posed against us.

The Black Devil Train will reside on the Old Pactolus Bridge for the rest of the week. There will probably be no Crowe left after the whole of Colonial Heights gets their rations. After the way we played we deserve to suffer.

Congratulations to Graham Clark and Staff for another superior show of coaching skills. Just wonder if maybe each week you should play Sullivan South...you might go deep if you train from that prospective.

Comp, thanks for taking it like a man. Now, where is BTaylorMom?

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised at the relative congeniality on this board. Perhaps talking about football is much better when you don't actually have to play football. Now that the beloved duo are actually playing everyone is quiet. Talk rather than action certainly is the Lane Kiffin approach.

Oh well. A few predictions and comments.

1. D-B will upset South by 21 - 20 because 1) South has a mental block when it comes to D-B, 2) D-B's coaching staff will dial it up with two weeks to prepare, 3) South's QB injury situation is critical and the Watson blitz package will be very hard on the new QB, 4) CS will gain over 100 yds rushing in spite of Comp's message board blitz, 5) South has an untested kicker, and 6) D-B will successfully throw enough to make a difference.

Sorry, Rebel Nation.

2. THS will absolutely kill D-B (barring significant injuries to the Vikings before the game) because 1) the Viking coaching staff thinks GC did a little score run up in the last game, 2) Stubbs has discovered the forward pass and actually has a QB to execute it, 3) THS is better at every position (including running back - sorry Waco), 4) D-B is surprisingly soft this season, and 5) the Vikings don't have the mental problem South does.

Sorry, Tribe. I am curious. What is the record for victory margin by a D-B opponent in a conference game in the modern era? I think the Vikes will exceed it.

3. South will find a way to beat THS in the last game of the season because Stubbs has yet to exorcise the Carter demon. I do not know if this will be by 1) whipping us up front and us not being motivated like the '04 playoff game, 2) playing with more confidence with a back up QB like in '05, 3) completely outcoaching us like in '06, 4) the refs calling a Rebel fumble down by contact like in '07, or 5) a general *** kicking like in '08. This is our best chance to re-turn the corner. Maybe our passing attack will be the difference.

4. My first top five for the season in NET - size corrected, of course.

1) Betsy - "Return to Dominance" is the motto. I would like to know more about the recent 10-3 loss to Asheville HS. Before that, I was completely on the bandwagon - a potential state title contender in their classification with their skill people.

2) THS - great offense so far with Stubbs featuring an effective passing / running tandem. Defense is crusty as usual. This could be the Vikings' year. Probably the current oddsmaker's favorite to win the Big 8. Must close the deal at South.

3) South - outstanding performance in big games so far - G'ville and Gate City. Almost let Boone beat them. Biggest game of the year coming up this week (not for standings or playoff seeding but from a mental standpoint). This team has shown great resilience in light of their opening game tragedy. I, along with many fans across the state, am certainly pulling for them.

4) Boone - never underestimate a Jenkins' coached team. Closed the deal on a historic victory over D-B. Run the ball well and play tough D. With a growing student population could be a surprising rising power in the Big 8 and will probably garner the third seed this year.

5) G'ville - probably has the best statistical player in the area with Spradlin. Surprisingly ineffective on offense against Betsy. Can they throw the ball effectively against a good team? Frankly, I thought there would be a bigger drop off in performance with the off season coaching controversy. Interesting to see the second half of the season for this team - they get no points in my ranking for dropping down to a lower classification. In fact, I think the TSSAA should investigate whether they meet the criteria for a private school as anyone in Greene County can attend G'ville HS without tuition. They get to really cherry pick.

6 - 10) Others receiving votes: North, Tri-Cities Christian, D-B (should be 3-2), Crockett, West Greene, Science Hill, Happy Valley, Sullivan East

I got the first score wrong but the logic and reasoning is correct.

D-B over South

THS over D-B

South over THS

Most of this is mental.

Kudos on the predictions for the DB-South game. I think you were right on everywhere except #5 where I think South actually had a slight advantage in the place kicking.

Hello everybody. I just got out of Woodridge long enough to post and then I've got to go back. My son and I stayed till the bitter end. I will only say one thing about South. They are better than they played against DB. Whether it will be seen this season is debatable. One more thing about South...that is the worst South effort I have seen since 2004. Incredible. There were about 4 college scouts at that game.

For Dobyns Bennett, I guess it takes the hatred for the Rebels to bring out your gut. What bothers me is that the way you played against South gives you no excuse for any of your losses. You should currently be undefeated. Yes, including Farragut. I don't believe Farragut will be the 2009 TN State Champs. I'll give that crown to Blackman. In all sincerity, the Tribe team that played Oct. 2nd should have killed Farragut. So in that light I guess we have a stake in bringing you out of the closet. I guess we bring out your best. You were dominate all over the field...at every position...we had no answer. I previously said I would have no excuses for the game if you won. And I don't.

All I can say now is if you lose another game then beating us was just an accident. You should go deep in the playoffs with the effort you posed against us.

The Black Devil Train will reside on the Old Pactolus Bridge for the rest of the week. There will probably be no Crowe left after the whole of Colonial Heights gets their rations. After the way we played we deserve to suffer.

Congratulations to Graham Clark and Staff for another superior show of coaching skills. Just wonder if maybe each week you should play Sullivan South...you might go deep if you train from that prospective.

I'm guessing you havent seen farragut play...? Oh, and did anyone see the block CS had leading for Roop's run in the open field during the South game?? :D

I'm guessing you havent seen farragut play...? Oh, and did anyone see the block CS had leading for Roop's run in the open field during the South game?? :D

Didn't see it but I'm guessing you'd enjoy telling us about it.

Cap1 you act as if the TN High game is a sure win for TN High over DB. It was supposed to be close last year DB destroyed TN High. South vs DB was going to be a blowout for South. How did that turn out? DB is down this year but I bet they win or lose to TN High by 10.

And oh Cap1. You were telling us all how Chris Sensabaugh was not as good as all of those awesome Science Hill players. Where are they now? If you don't claim it, I will dig it up. But according to you Science Hill has the talent to run the field. Where are they now? I hope the worst DB team in 20 years beats the best TN High team in god knows when so you can be shutup like the stupid South fans.

Very fair post Bud. We both know that every game on the books has to be played out on the field, and there are many things that factor into each and every Friday night matchup. This year I had the privilege to see DB and South first hand for myself before the Vikings played them, and this comes after seeing the Vikings in all of their games up to this point. From all indications, DB had one of, if not their best performance to date friday night against the Rebels. And from my prospective and IMO, I'll say again (in comparison) I like our chances. The win over South fairs good for both sides. It obviously gives DB back a little swagger ( as the post game interview with Roop indicates), but it helps the Viking coaches hammer home the fact to the players that... DB my be down this year, but they are still DB and not the scrub team that there record (2-4) would have you to believe. Like I said there are many things that factor into Friday nights game, and I will echo you and say that this game will be decided by 10 points... one way or the other. And it won't be a stroll in the park for either side.

As for your other point. It's not the "Science Hill players" that I referred too... it is only one.... Ryan Michelle. But let me clear it up for you. IMO RM has better mechanics and more potential than CS, but CS plays on a MUCH higher level then RM without a doubt... and that's just due to the difference in their mentalities. With that being said, NOBODY runs with the determination and passion that CS does, and at this level (I will admit) that makes him a bigger asset to any team. In leu of CSs performance last Friday night, I would be a fool to try to take anything away from him.... even if I wanted too. He's a BEAST... you get no argument from me!!!!!!!!! :D

Unlike most of the rebel posters, I won't hide in shame or defeat. If you read my earlier post, I stated if South played like they did against Boone, DB will win.

Here is how I see the game playing out:

1) G Clark outcoached Stacy to start off with. 8 to 9 in the box early, some blitzes. 3 and out first drive...not a good start. He knew Stacy would be conservative early with Heath. Wrong choice. We should've thrown the bomb first thing.

2) DBs OL dominated the game. CS didn't run everyone over, because he usually wasn't touched until 5-8 yards down field if he was touched at all. Even if heath doesn't throw the early int(14 pt swing) and even if the refs didn't miss Zanoni's TD catch, We never stopped DB from running. If we could have, Roop having to throw would have probably helped us. So, I think the outcome would've been the same.

DB be proud, but not too proud. You played a great game. You know as well as I do, you can't lose to a county team without committing suicide....especially South. heck, you've got the Board Mayor and Alderman annexing everything to all but guarantee your future success.

South, stay proud also. We didn't play our best and we lost. We've got bigger games ahead. Learn from it, work harder, and let's make a playoff run.

Unlike most of the rebel posters, I won't hide in shame or defeat. If you read my earlier post, I stated if South played like they did against Boone, DB will win.

Here is how I see the game playing out:

1) G Clark outcoached Stacy to start off with. 8 to 9 in the box early, some blitzes. 3 and out first drive...not a good start. He knew Stacy would be conservative early with Heath. Wrong choice. We should've thrown the bomb first thing.

2) DBs OL dominated the game. CS didn't run everyone over, because he usually wasn't touched until 5-8 yards down field if he was touched at all. Even if heath doesn't throw the early int(14 pt swing) and even if the refs didn't miss Zanoni's TD catch, We never stopped DB from running. If we could have, Roop having to throw would have probably helped us. So, I think the outcome would've been the same.

DB be proud, but not too proud. You played a great game. You know as well as I do, you can't lose to a county team without committing suicide....especially South. heck, you've got the Board Mayor and Alderman annexing everything to all but guarantee your future success.

South, stay proud also. We didn't play our best and we lost. We've got bigger games ahead. Learn from it, work harder, and let's make a playoff run.

Just to remind you, We already lost to a county school (Daniel Boone) and we are just fine. And just to let you know, there is already talk of building another city high school if annexation continues. That would hurt DB, not help them.

This game came down to DB getting shoved into a corner, and fighting their way out. Death Valley was their corner. One team left with some respect, the other their pants torn but lives to fight another day. DB will have to play with that same intensity from here on out, because the Boone game opened the door for the locals, its up to the Indians to shut it back.

This game came down to DB getting shoved into a corner, and fighting their way out. Death Valley was their corner. One team left with some respect, the other their pants torn but lives to fight another day. DB will have to play with that same intensity from here on out, because the Boone game opened the door for the locals, its up to the Indians to shut it back.

Well stated! :thumb:

Compusat wrote"For Dobyns Bennett, I guess it takes the hatred for the Rebels to bring out your gut. What bothers me is that the way you played against South gives you no excuse for any of your losses. You should currently be undefeated. Yes, including Farragut. I don't believe Farragut will be the 2009 TN State Champs. I'll give that crown to Blackman. In all sincerity, the Tribe team that played Oct. 2nd should have killed Farragut. So in that light I guess we have a stake in bringing you out of the closet. I guess we bring out your best. You were dominate all over the field...at every position...we had no answer. I previously said I would have no excuses for the game if you won. And I don't.

All I can say now is if you lose another game then beating us was just an accident. You should go deep in the playoffs with the effort you posed against us."

I love you compusatman, but this is where you are wrong. And this is what also tells me you are a wishful thinker/South spinner. I love say you have no excuses for South's loss, but then say DB played their best game of the year to beat South as if it was a fluke. The, go on to say DB should have beat all their previous teams. Talking about DB beating Farragut? You are nuts. I agree Farragut may not win state, but they would DOMINATE any team east of Knoxville, including DB even if they played like they did against South. Farragut would rock South. So would Clinton. Sevier Co would be close, Daniel Boone gave you all you wanted. So excuses from DB, no. Would DB like to keep winning? Yes, but there are no promises. You need to see that the difference between 6A and 5A is real. Ask any DB fan or player who was tougher, all will say Farragut, Clinton, then maybe South. And even 5A knox compared to 5A tri cities is different too. Maryville is gone for you guys now. And you have the easiest road EVER to state,but your underestimation of the rest of the state will get you. Farragut JV would eat your lunch.

PS, how about Sensabaugh? Your own radio said he was the best they ever saw at rb. That is with a small OLine that showed out Friday.

Compusat wrote"For Dobyns Bennett, I guess it takes the hatred for the Rebels to bring out your gut. What bothers me is that the way you played against South gives you no excuse for any of your losses. You should currently be undefeated. Yes, including Farragut. I don't believe Farragut will be the 2009 TN State Champs. I'll give that crown to Blackman. In all sincerity, the Tribe team that played Oct. 2nd should have killed Farragut. So in that light I guess we have a stake in bringing you out of the closet. I guess we bring out your best. You were dominate all over the field...at every position...we had no answer. I previously said I would have no excuses for the game if you won. And I don't.

All I can say now is if you lose another game then beating us was just an accident. You should go deep in the playoffs with the effort you posed against us."

I love you compusatman, but this is where you are wrong. And this is what also tells me you are a wishful thinker/South spinner. I love say you have no excuses for South's loss, but then say DB played their best game of the year to beat South as if it was a fluke. The, go on to say DB should have beat all their previous teams. Talking about DB beating Farragut? You are nuts. I agree Farragut may not win state, but they would DOMINATE any team east of Knoxville, including DB even if they played like they did against South. Farragut would rock South. So would Clinton. Sevier Co would be close, Daniel Boone gave you all you wanted. So excuses from DB, no. Would DB like to keep winning? Yes, but there are no promises. You need to see that the difference between 6A and 5A is real. Ask any DB fan or player who was tougher, all will say Farragut, Clinton, then maybe South. And even 5A knox compared to 5A tri cities is different too. Maryville is gone for you guys now. And you have the easiest road EVER to state,but your underestimation of the rest of the state will get you. Farragut JV would eat your lunch.

PS, how about Sensabaugh? Your own radio said he was the best they ever saw at rb. That is with a small OLine that showed out Friday.

Sorry, I had to step in here. Farragut would probably dominate Knox West too huh? :roflol:

Bud, you know me and you know how I think. But I have seen DB play this year...twice before South. and it was pitiful. No, it was discusting. Now for GC to have been able to have procuced what he did at South is a total about face from what was displayed from the games I saw. OK yes, I'm the one who says, "On any given Friday Night". But the quiet fact is that if GC can do this for South then why can't he do it for the playoffs? I'll tell you why, because if GC had lost to South this year it would have been the nail that sealed the coffin shut. As it stands he just bought himself a new 3 year contract. It will take that long for people to discount what psychological feat he accomplished on Oct 2nd. Win or lose the rest of the season.

Now you are wrong about South Bud. You did not see the sheer dominance we displayed against Knox West in week 0. Knox West may not be as strong as Clinton but they are only a step behind. And after the game West played with Farragut and minus their star tailback they lost against us Yes, I think they were a good measuring stick at the beginning of the season. You did not see South prior to the Oct 2nd game and that's too bad because that means you have not seen South play. South has been a deer in the headlights since Knox West and Gate City was the only game with any semblence to the team from week 0. It is said that Stacy Carter is in Greg Stubbs head and has been since 2005. Well, likewise it feel it is safe to say that Graham Clark is in Stacy's Head and he goes to pieces against GC and DB.

I said that DB out played South at every position and it was evident. But just because DB beat South does not mean South is overrated or whatever you want to call it. But if you ask someone with knowledge, (I would suggest you ask Jack) someone who has seen both teams play you will understand what all saw on Oct 2nd. And that is that DB played by far their best game of the season. And that by far South played their worst game of the season. Maybe South just panicks or whatever but the fact is they had the deer in the headlight syndrome as soon as they walked on the field till the final buzzer. In all honesty, at this point I really don't see South coming back to where they were in week 0. I would not be surprised if Volunteer hands them lose #2 this week. You want me to admit that this DB squad is better than South and that this DB squad is going to win this conference just because their name is DB. I can't do that. I have not seen enough. One week does not a season make. If they lose to the Vikings then I will recount Oct 2nd as a one off. If they beat the Vikings then I will pay attention.