BA vs. Ensworth

BAEagleFootball

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditions in football die hard nothing has changed in 35 or so years I have followed football, were I come from that is an insult to get scheduled on homecoming.

Traditions may die hard, but I also grow a little weary of reading the S.O.S. on message boards sometimes. It seems every football cliche, belief, or maxim is picked up and carried from year to year, and then written or said, but no one stops to think about what it truly means.

I certainly don't diminish what homecoming is, but every team has to play on the road at some point, and almost always during a traditional homecoming period for an opposing school. I'm sure every program, good or not, has been someone's homecoming opponent at some time or another. Frankly, with all due credit to a couple more cliches ("the game should be fun" and "it's just high school football"), every game and opponent on a team's schedule should be approached as a big deal and an obstacle to an ultimate goal, no matter whether it's home or away, district or non-district, homecoming or another run-of-the-mill game.

Traditions in football die hard nothing has changed in 35 or so years I have followed football, were I come from that is an insult to get scheduled on homecoming.

Traditions may die hard, but I also grow a little weary of reading the S.O.S. on message boards sometimes. It seems every football cliche, belief, or maxim is picked up and carried from year to year, and then written or said, but no one stops to think about what it truly means.

I certainly don't diminish what homecoming is, but every team has to play on the road at some point, and almost always during a traditional homecoming period for an opposing school. I'm sure every program, good or not, has been someone's homecoming opponent at some time or another. Frankly, with all due credit to a couple more cliches ("the game should be fun" and "it's just high school football"), every game and opponent on a team's schedule should be approached as a big deal and an obstacle to an ultimate goal, no matter whether it's home or away, district or non-district, homecoming or another run-of-the-mill game.

Very well put. As for the game what are the projections?

I see a fairly high scoring game with ensworth winning by a touchdown or 4.

Something around 35-31 or 35-28

That is why football in this state means absolutly nothing it really is fun these traditions its what makes this game great if its high school youth football college or pro it still the same.I cant help it if you blue bloods can't understand that.In the state of texas,fla,ala people take their football serious this is a football forum that is what we are all talking about.To say it is only high school is why no one in the usa takes this state serious when it comes to football we don't take it serious.

That is why football in this state means absolutly nothing it really is fun these traditions its what makes this game great if its high school youth football college or pro it still the same.I cant help it if you blue bloods can't understand that.In the state of texas,fla,ala people take their football serious this is a football forum that is what we are all talking about.To say it is only high school is why no one in the usa takes this state serious when it comes to football we don't take it serious.

Apparently we don't take our elementary school English classes seriously enough either.

So it is Ensworth's homecoming and BA should feel disrespected????

There have only been 2 classes to graduate from Ensworth, for a total of +/- 225 alumni.

Maybe 50 to 60 show up for homecoming.

Big advantage - Ensworth don't you think.

I guess Tennessee HS football tradtions are being trounced on left and right!

Good point. Actually more like 160 alumni.

With all due respect, give me a F.B. ("F" is not "foot" and "B" is not "ball", by the way) about tradition and blue bloods. I attended, played for, and support a high school that has been playing football for 110 years, is second in the state in all-time wins, and has played a schedule over that period is likely second-to-none. Not to mention, I have spent about 2,000 manhours - in my spare time and solely as a generally thankless hobby - over the past four years developing a website that, in part, addresses the history and tradition of Tennessee high school football, quite frankly more so than any self-professed "gurus" of high school football attempt on their sites.

I didn't say "it is only high school football". Did I write it? Yep. But it takes reading between the lines to understand that that is not my sentiment. And you don't have to be a "blue blood" to read deeper.

My point, to put it another way and to require less reading between the lines, is that "how dare they select us as a homecoming opponent" is, by itself, a weak little crutch as it relates to a "respect" issue. As part of a bigger, more comprehensive mindset, sure, that can be one aspect of motivation. How about, in relation to this game, "how dare they develop a program that, in three years, is already beating the most established programs in the state"? How about, "how dare they beat us with a coach that got his tutelage from our coach, the winningest coach in the state of Tennessee"? To me, those factors should be bigger motivators.

Every program good or bad can use being chosen as a homecoming opponent as a rallying "respect" cry. Not every program can use the TRADITION of having one of the best winning percenatges all-time in the state, not to mention the nation, or having one of the most successful coaches in the state as a motivation to hold up their end of the bargain in a game. Ironically, in relation to your rant, I think it is the relative LACK of appreciation for history and upholding the glory of past teams that generally leads to the short-sighted, narrow view of carrying the being-chosen-as-a-homecoming-opponent banner as the reason to get fired up for a game.

By the way, I don't know when we can say we officially start watching or following football (does being plopped in front of the TV in diapers start the clock?). Nevertheless, saying one has been a follower for 35 years certainly doesn't make one the typical teenage poster on this site, but it also doesn't make one a senior statesmen on here either.

I'd like to address some of the points you make here.

What exacly are they?

You are barking up the wrong tree by chosing the D2 board as the place to gripe about the condition of TN high school football. MUS, MBA, and BA have kept TN relevant on the national scene by playing high profile out-of-state games....including most recently, MBA's defeat of Cincy Moeller, BA's defeat of Prattville, AL, and MUS' defeat of South Panola, MS...all national heavyweights, all defeated by TN D2 schools on national TV in the past 2 years. Ricky and EHS won't be far behind.

If you want to complain about the state of TN HS football, a better place to start would be the architects of the public/private split, the neverending expansion of classifications (which I honestly don't even know how many there are in D1 now...I think there are literally about 15 different classes versus the 3 that existed as recently as 15 years ago). The leadership of the TSSAA has made giving everyone a trophy a priority over producing high level, competitive football.