BA vs. Ensworth

BAEagleFootball

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your talking nice about ensworth because you dont want that butt to get beat again.Ha,ha

Just for clarification, Prattville beat BA soundly last year. That aside, I agree that the TSSAA bureaucrats are doing their best to diminish Tennessee high school football. First, by splitting the schools into DI and DII. Second, by their watered down playoffs. When every team in DIIAA makes the playoffs, the regular season means very little. Then to have the DIIAA state championship (usually the best two teams in the entire state) on a week night in Cookeville is unfair.

I also cannot understand some of the rules we play by in Tennessee. Why can't a player return a ball kicked in the end zone? Why is a penalty flag thrown when a defensive player lines up in the neutral zone before the ball is snapped? Why don't they do anything to protect the quarterbacks i.e. allowing them to throw the ball away outside the tackle box? In the state playoffs a few years ago, Ravenwood won the game because, by rule, they were allowed to re-kick an onside attempt because they were offsides. Franklin recovered the first on-side kick but was not allowed to decline the penalty and keep the ball. Am I the only one who thinks these rules should be changed? Sorry for the rant.

Your talking nice about ensworth because you dont want that butt to get beat again.Ha,ha

If you put your coloring books down long enough to look at the histories of posting here, you'll find that the Div II teams tend to stick up for one another. This is because we face very similar aggravation: the aggravation of travel in a league that's smaller in number than most regions, the unproven (and unfounded) allegations of recruiting, and uninformed posters like yourself.

Just for clarification, Prattville beat BA soundly last year. That aside, I agree that the TSSAA bureaucrats are doing their best to diminish Tennessee high school football. First, by splitting the schools into DI and DII. Second, by their watered down playoffs. When every team in DIIAA makes the playoffs, the regular season means very little. Then to have the DIIAA state championship (usually the best two teams in the entire state) on a week night in Cookeville is unfair.

You are right...I was thinking of the mouthy South Carolina team they beat a couple of years ago.

As for d2, I agree that it's pointless to have a play-off when the same teams play each other during the regular season. The joy back in the day was meeting distant opponents you hadn't seen or faced before in the regular season. My thought has always been either to create an SEC-type format, whereby we have two divisions whose champions meet for the D2 title, a 4-team play-off, or, just go the way of the Ivy League, and crown a regular season champ and that's it, punctuated with rivalry games played on Thanksgiving Day on campus.

You are right...I was thinking of the mouthy South Carolina team they beat a couple of years ago.

As for d2, I agree that it's pointless to have a play-off when the same teams play each other during the regular season. The joy back in the day was meeting distant opponents you hadn't seen or faced before in the regular season. My thought has always been either to create an SEC-type format, whereby we have two divisions whose champions meet for the D2 title, a 4-team play-off, or, just go the way of the Ivy League, and crown a regular season champ and that's it, punctuated with rivalry games played on Thanksgiving Day on campus.

That's actually a really good idea. I have very fond memories of the pre-playoff days when the Clinic Bowl was played on Thanksgiving at Vanderbilt.

Would MBA be able to accomodate Ryan, BA, and Ensworth in one afternoon?

WOW! You guys are really passionate about HS football. You would fit right in living in Texas and Florida, where it is arguably a religion. Your posts are Sooooo much more interesting AND informative than the posts here in Memphis, where EVERY time a DII school beats a public school, "recruiting" is always brought up immediately by somebody. (Though the Mississippi schools are smart enough to keep their mouths shut lest we bring up the seemingly endless exodus of Memphis' top talent to a team just over the state line....)

As a rather passionate fan myself, I will say I also miss the old pre-segregation days, despite the travel.

Somebody please clarify the "week night" in "Cookeville" statement. I assumed the game would be on a weekend. As I anticipate being there to support my team, I need to know. It took some very difficult planning ahead to make it to M'boro last year, not to mention the strain of driving 450+ miles in one day.

That is why football in this state means absolutly nothing it really is fun these traditions its what makes this game great if its high school youth football college or pro it still the same.I cant help it if you blue bloods can't understand that.In the state of texas,fla,ala people take their football serious this is a football forum that is what we are all talking about.To say it is only high school is why no one in the usa takes this state serious when it comes to football we don't take it serious.

What "blue bloods", Lew?!!

WOW! You guys are really passionate about HS football. You would fit right in living in Texas and Florida, where it is arguably a religion. Your posts are Sooooo much more interesting AND informative than the posts here in Memphis, where EVERY time a DII school beats a public school, "recruiting" is always brought up immediately by somebody. (Though the Mississippi schools are smart enough to keep their mouths shut lest we bring up the seemingly endless exodus of Memphis' top talent to a team just over the state line....)

As a rather passionate fan myself, I will say I also miss the old pre-segregation days, despite the travel.

Somebody please clarify the "week night" in "Cookeville" statement. I assumed the game would be on a weekend. As I anticipate being there to support my team, I need to know. It took some very difficult planning ahead to make it to M'boro last year, not to mention the strain of driving 450+ miles in one day.

The DII Championship games are Thursday, Dec 3.

Thats just someone who does not love fb enough to care alot about how its done in this state,but after looking at some of your post I see y'all really do care.hope the powers that be see it the same way.This is still the south and fb is still king on all levels when organized right

Actually, we're stuck with the recruiting shot here fairly often. The reorganization of the divisions created a reorg of the board here as well. The upshot is fewer posts, but fewer allegations of recruiting (fewer, not completely gone). Sadly, we don't see many people from Memphis here, so the Memphis schools are something of an unknown quantity to us.

Funny you mention Florida...I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and the games are generally not well-attended. St. Thomas draws well, and Dillard and Ely generally do (old traditionally Black schools, with a big neighborhood foolowing). Beyond that, you have some very talented teams and players playing in front of stadiums with 400 people in them. Miami-Dade is a bit different, although much of that crowd stems from financial self-interest: lots of betting on football at any level (read We Own this Game to see the betting on kid's games). When you get outside the tri-county area in the southern end of the state, you get a dynamic much more like the South itself. And some very good football.

If MBA weren't playing on the computer tonight, I'd be down the street watching Aquinas and Byrnes.

Actually, we're stuck with the recruiting shot here fairly often. The reorganization of the divisions created a reorg of the board here as well. The upshot is fewer posts, but fewer allegations of recruiting (fewer, not completely gone). Sadly, we don't see many people from Memphis here, so the Memphis schools are something of an unknown quantity to us.

Funny you mention Florida...I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and the games are generally not well-attended. St. Thomas draws well, and Dillard and Ely generally do (old traditionally Black schools, with a big neighborhood foolowing). Beyond that, you have some very talented teams and players playing in front of stadiums with 400 people in them. Miami-Dade is a bit different, although much of that crowd stems from financial self-interest: lots of betting on football at any level (read We Own this Game to see the betting on kid's games). When you get outside the tri-county area in the southern end of the state, you get a dynamic much more like the South itself. And some very good football.

If MBA weren't playing on the computer tonight, I'd be down the street watching Aquinas and Byrnes.

I think some of the most hilarious posts on the Division II boards are when the Division II schools accuse each other of recruiting. The fear and what seems like resentment of Ensworth has led to quite a bit of this under various topics in this division.