Franklin Rebels (5-1) @ Ravenwood Raptors (2-3)

huskergymnast33

I was just reading the Williamson AM and noticed that Alex Ford has 61 carries for 630 yards - an average of 10.3 yds. per carry, but only 10.2 carries per game. The same stats. reveal that the FHS QB has a 39% completion percentage. A team can not hope to have a successfully balanced offense ( 50% pass, 50% run) when the passing game has a 60% failure rate. This leads me to an obvious question why doesn't the FHS staff place the ball in Alex Ford's hands more often ?

PS. The Williamson AM did not include the Tackling stats. this morning for any FHS defender. the totals for Timmy Wilson should be included - he has certainly earned the recognition.

1. he's not the only one carrying the ball - 2 and 5 until he went down.

2. an average is just that - an average - long runs against bad defenses skew the average

3. a pass doesn't have to be caught for it to be successful - it's successful if it pulls defenders out of the box...

4. your obvious question is not so obvious - they are 4-1 with a loss to a good ooltewah team - they seem pretty balanced to me

5. they are as balanced as Ravenwood - Ravenwood has thrown as many picks as touchdowns... fumbled as many as rushed for touchdowns and they get about 75 in the air and 75 on the ground a game

Wow, so a name some times does say it all. Mindlesschatter, interesting. The point that our newest Wilco brethern is making is that the run for Franklin is obviously more productive than the pass, so why not utilize it. Let's talk about an average. Let's say that Alex Ford's (or any of the vaunted 3) do have a 10 yard per carry average. Now, what if you hand it to him 10 times? Theoretically, 100 yards. Now what happens if you take that same back and hand it to him 20 times? Again, theoretically 200 yards. Name one coach in the state that would not like to have a running back that has a 10 ypc average with 64 carries.

Moving forward. Great win (I guess) for the Rebels last week. Hammering a sub par KY team doesn't really prove much, but the Rebels have done it for two weeks in a row now. I just wonder if the outcome would have been the same without all that rain???

Now on to this week's pillow fight. I love games at Ravenwood. Great football atmosphere and in years past great football games. This year I am not so sure. It seems that Ravenwood is the heavily favored underdog and because of that I wonder if the Rebels are looking ahead to their ever so interesting homecoming opponents from Memphis next week. Sounds like a good dialog for a trap. However, I am no fool and would say that Franklin will flop around in the first half and Ravenwood will think they have a chance but easily pull away in the 2nd half when they remember they are playing a game, no matter how meek the opponent.

Waiting with baited breath to catch the rest of the Wilco imput. And where did our friend smkymtncenter, I mean longhornshookem go to? Pretty quiet these days with all of Franklin's running.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Mindlesschatter,

Please consider the following :

1. '" He's (Ford) not the only one carrying the ball " Please know that I am all for 2,4 and 5 carrying the ball 40 times between them against Ravenwood.

2. " long runs against bad defenses" Please demostrate how this has "skewed" Ford's average per carry.Be specific and do not generalize. Provide the facts ! In terms of average yards per carry it is important to note that 2, 4, and 5 all average over 4 yards per carry. This is simply a statement about success running the football.

3. All season the FHS offense has been confronted with 8 defenders in the box. Why because the FHS recievers can not achieve separation and the QB is inaccurate throwing the ball down field. A 39% completion percentage will not get the job done in any league.

4. " as balanced as Ravenwood " Please tell me that Ravenwood at 2 and 3 is not FHS"S benchmark this season.

To Mindlesschatter,

Please consider the following :

1. '" He's (Ford) not the only one carrying the ball " Please know that I am all for 2,4 and 5 carrying the ball 40 times between them against Ravenwood.

2. " long runs against bad defenses" Please demostrate how this has "skewed" Ford's average per carry.Be specific and do not generalize. Provide the facts ! In terms of average yards per carry it is important to note that 2, 4, and 5 all average over 4 yards per carry. This is simply a statement about success running the football.

3. All season the FHS offense has been confronted with 8 defenders in the box. Why because the FHS recievers can not achieve separation and the QB is inaccurate throwing the ball down field. A 39% completion percentage will not get the job done in any league.

4. " as balanced as Ravenwood " Please tell me that Ravenwood at 2 and 3 is not FHS"S benchmark this season.

Do you understand how an average works at all?

He runs for 2 yards one play and 18 the next will come out to be a 10 yard average. So, in fact he makes one long run and it brings his average up.

Ravenwood hasn't showed much offense at all in any of their games this season. Franklin should stop them pretty easily.

Came back to read how these Rebs are doing. It is always interesting to see how an opponent does the balance of the season after playing the Owls. Congrats to the Rebs on some good play. I felt that we saw a young team that played pretty well against a better team. Maybe we will see you again down the road, who knows??

Reading the past posts I see ole Wilco stirring up trouble lol. I halfway thought one of the running backs was his son but I suspect he has a young'un on the team and is enjoying pontificating on his football prowess lolol. You fellas are doing something right over there. You have an undersized defense, a young QB, inexperienced receivers and a young O line yet you have only lost to the No. 1 ranked team in the state. I would say there a lot of schools in TN that would love to have your staff lolol.

I have to say that Wilco's comment about running against 8 in the box makes me think that he is Barry Switzer from the old OU days or maybe even Tom Osborne from the Cornhuskers lol. I have another of my teams that does excel in the run and has the No. 1 rusher in the SEC averaging around 10 yards a carry yet we all know unless our QB starts spreading the field, we are looking at a 4-8 season at best.

Oh well, good luck Rebs..stay the course and keep posting "Coach Wilco". You make these posts fun to read. And....Go Vols!

Rebels put it on 'em. 28-6.

Rebels got lucky Ravenwood's coach made a bad call to go for it on 4th and 2 from their own 39 at the start of the 4th quarter and only down 1 score (+2pt conversion). What was up with that? Ravenwood appeared to have some momentum after scoring and then containing Rebels in the 3rd quarter.

That took the wind out of their sails for sure. I don't know if they could have won or not but that took away any chance they had. Nice pass on the first play for Franklin after that (did you see that wilco dudes?)