TSSAA OFFICALS

hsffan

I was at a friends house last night and got to see a film on a game. I was shocked at what I saw.......the worse officials I have have ever witnessed. One of the calls was a ball came off a receivers hands and was intercepted by a DB and was returning it for a TD and the whistle blew. The ball never hit the ground, nothing to make you pause. The ball was given back to the Offense with just a do over for them. Then before they measured for a first down......they exchanged balls (thought being I guess they need a dry ball, and the official replacing it assume (know that word means) it was a first down before measure.

They were some very questionable whistles also during the game on plays being blown dead when they shouldn't have and some letting it just keep going.

1. How are officials selected for each game

2. Do they have any real accountablilty to anyone.

3.What recourse does a school have on a situation where calls determine the outcome of a game.

This was the worst I have seen. I asked the guy that let me see the film to post it and he stated he didn't want to get in the middle of it and let the school deal with it. These coaches should be beyond themselves with these type of calls. I feel bad for the players.....they did everything they were suppose to do and yet the game was determined by someone other than the players. Its my feeling that the team that won...might not have if the calls were made.... right. I didn't list the names of the schools because of starting a debate about every call during the game. This is a play you would have to see to believe......it was so bad! To have a ball in the air..blow the whistle while still in the air.....if you believe on explanation, the other being didn't know the ball was intercepted......the other. Either way......bad. Other examples......playing goes over the 50 yd line to the 49/48......and yet mark it back to the other 48. I know its only 3-4 yd differance but it is a game of inches.

I wish the film of this could be posted......it would shock you.

Enough.....but was curious what course does a school have against the mighty TSSAA officials.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a friends house last night and got to see a film on a game. I was shocked at what I saw.......the worse officials I have have ever witnessed. One of the calls was a ball came off a receivers hands and was intercepted by a DB and was returning it for a TD and the whistle blew. The ball never hit the ground, nothing to make you pause. The ball was given back to the Offense with just a do over for them. Then before they measured for a first down......they exchanged balls (thought being I guess they need a dry ball, and the official replacing it assume (know that word means) it was a first down before measure.

They were some very questionable whistles also during the game on plays being blown dead when they shouldn't have and some letting it just keep going.

3.What recourse does a school have on a situation where calls determine the outcome of a game.

This was the worst I have seen. I asked the guy that let me see the film to post it and he stated he didn't want to get in the middle of it and let the school deal with it. These coaches should be beyond themselves with these type of calls. I feel bad for the players.....they did everything they were suppose to do and yet the game was determined by someone other than the players. Its my feeling that the team that won...might not have if the calls were made.... right. I didn't list the names of the schools because of starting a debate about every call during the game. This is a play you would have to see to believe......it was so bad! To have a ball in the air..blow the whistle while still in the air.....if you believe on explanation, the other being didn't know the ball was intercepted......the other. Either way......bad. Other examples......playing goes over the 50 yd line to the 49/48......and yet mark it back to the other 48. I know its only 3-4 yd differance but it is a game of inches.

Enough.....but was curious what course does a school have against the mighty TSSAA officials.

There is absolutely NO accountability for the officials nor anything you can do. If you send film to TSSAA and they think your wrong they tell you your wrong , if they think your right they apologize and send that crew out to call another game next week!

I personally would not ever wish an officials job on anyone. I have no insight what so ever into TSSAA's evaluation of officials but I have to believe that if one official continuously receives complaints they would react accordingly. So far this year Giles officials have done a good job imho. They have missed some and they have called some questionable ones. So far they have let the kids play. In the past I have seen calls on the opposing teams sideline made late when the official has the teams coaches in their ear. That must be one of the hardest parts of their job blocking out coaches and arm chair QB's. Giles coaches do a good job of researching the latest, greatest gimmick and trick plays and I have noticed the officials are keeping up with the times. In times before, flags have been thrown because the officials had not seen that play or formation. They seem to be more up on it now. So far I have not witnessed them arriving in European sports cars or Hummers, so I guess the pay scale isn't that great.

We had one injured bad our first game. Anyone know how he is doing? :roflol:

There is absolutely NO accountability for the officials nor anything you can do. If you send film to TSSAA and they think your wrong they tell you your wrong , if they think your right they apologize and send that crew out to call another game next week!

I know what you mean.......I saw it first hand. I have never seen such a blatant bad call.......ever. To blow the whistle during the play, while the ball is in the air.....just unexcusable! BIG CHANGE in the game. The momentum of the game change from that point on. 0-0 tie...would have made it 7-0, instead they give the ball back and basically had a redo for the team that threw the interception. After some plays they scored. This or These officals should never call another game.....IF TSSAA has any power at all over matters like this.......this deserve more than a letter of ...oops, they were wrong. The players should decide a game .......not Mr. Magoo and his crew.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. It's a thankless job with relatively low pay. As such, there will be much turnover, occasional indifference, and occasional lack of quality.

I don't like poor officiating (who does?), but am slowly starting to embrace it. As long as there is no bias behind poor calls - although that in itself is sometimes questionable - then I figure that calls will "even out" over time as far as how teams are affected by poor officiating.

Speaking of getting what you pay for, in California recently, depending on the crew you get, you better be able to finish your game in regulation:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/preps/ci_13425558

You should have seen the side official last Friday, mocking the crowd by rubbing his eyes to brush away tears and laughing at them for several minutes. He went out of his way to make a scene after they were on him for missing (or just not calling) an obvious illegal procedure during a game-tying 2-point conversion run.

I am sure being an official is a hard job and one that does not get much credit or thanks. I also understand that officials can make mistakes. BUT when bad calls are so blatantly obvious even for those with the most inexperienced eyes something needs to give. I do believe that the calling decided this game. Both teams played well and were really giving their all. IMO both teams were robbed in this game because officials should never determine the outcome of a game!

I am sure being an official is a hard job and one that does not get much credit or thanks. I also understand that officials can make mistakes. BUT when bad calls are so blatantly obvious even for those with the most inexperienced eyes something needs to give. I do believe that the calling decided this game. Both teams played well and were really giving their all. IMO both teams were robbed in this game because officials should never determine the outcome of a game!

AMEN! I still can't believe what I saw...no if ands and buts......Just no excuse!

Not close for any reason.....nothing in question about the play.....except...A whistle blowing out of no Way! I know I'll forget that the rest of my life...Killed a good game.....and will always be question about it. They won......but what really would have happened. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have seen the side official last Friday, mocking the crowd by rubbing his eyes to brush away tears and laughing at them for several minutes. He went out of his way to make a scene after they were on him for missing (or just not calling) an obvious illegal procedure during a game-tying 2-point conversion run.

Don't know if its the same guy but was told one of the officials in that game went to school there and was maybe also a former player?

What's the call on something like that I didn't think an official could officiate a game if he is that close to a program?

A friend of mine went to the CPA vs Goodpasture and he said he was standing directly behind the goal post. He said Goodpasture kicked a field goal and it went right through, but the officals called it no good. What do you do?

Makes you wonder what qualifications they have. The earlier comment about a former player or student......that would at least explain the unreal calls.

This was so far off the charts...that even when you see first hand, with your own eyes.......its hard to believe what happened. I hate it for the players that gave everything they had......and have the chance to win a game taken away from them. I'll be curious to see if TSSAA has any (.....). They should make these officials hand write a letter to the coaches and players admitting what the did was wrong. I know it doesn't change the outcome of the game (NOW). But at least the team what have an explaination explaining how the blew it...completely.