1A Public Schools Will File A petition for a Split

southernpride

˜It's official... I heard today from a friend that some of the 1A Public Schools will formally request that the TSSAA consider a split between public and private schools in 2005. The request will be presented at the next board of control meeting. It reportedly has the support of 90% of all 1A public school officials. I think the time for the debate has passed, now it must come down to a vote by the Board of the TSSAA. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by caesar:

?It's official... I heard today from a friend that some of the 1A Public Schools will formally request that the TSSAA consider a split between public and private schools in 2005. The request will be presented at the next board of control meeting. It reportedly has the support of 90% of all 1A public school officials. I think the time for the debate has passed, now it must come down to a vote by the Board of the TSSAA. ;)

It`s sad that those 1A public schools want to leave Div.1 ;)

panfan....the reference to open zones gets back to my thread on Memphis schools and the fact that the whiners are nothing but hypocrites. Not one of the whiners will respond directly to the topic. They won`t respond on the thread about the new 1A magnet school thread either. This school will have a population base of around 90,000 people. It will offer a high academic curriculum. It won`t be messing with any of those special ed kids that hold back the other 1A public schools. All these kids will be bright, easy to control kids just like private schools. They will have that extra ambition to acheive. And oh yeah..they won`t have to come up with thousands of dollars to attend. They won`t give an opinion on that school.

This isn`t a matter to find fairness, it`s just a vendetta against private schools by a bunch of big crybabies who want to take their ball and go home to mommy.

What about the fact that the private schools can recruit from all over the country. The public schools can't. That gives the private schools a big advantage. I guess that is why this works just fine for you guys. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right. And no I am not crying about it. It should just be an even playing field, that's all. :D

I talked to a Class AA public school coach and a D-1A private school coach today and both support the proposal because it has two parts! What the private school coach told me was that if the vote to bring about a total split fails, then they smaller schools were going to make a proposal to bring all of the schools back together and add a multiplier of 1.5 non-financial aid schools and 2 for the financial aid schools. :D

Posted by landersmom:

What about the fact that the private schools can recruit from all over the country. The public schools can't. That gives the private schools a big advantage. I guess that is why this works just fine for you guys. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right. And no I am not crying about it. It should just be an even playing field, that's all. :D

You are correct, landersmom. It's much easier for a kid living in San Francisco to make that five-day-a-week, multi-thousand mile commute to, say, Brentwood Academy than it is to Brentwood High School.

This concept of nationwide recruiting is ludicrous. In theory, yes, BA has "access" to the S.F. kid and BHS does not, but get real - 99.9999% of this country's parents are not moving (or commuting) hundreds or thousands of miles so their kids can play ball at a private school.

[Edited by rollredroll on 9-18-02 3:48P]

That is exactly how they netted me...when my mom was in college she received hundreds of letters from schools in memphis asking her to conceive a child who by the off chance might be male, by the off chance may want to play sports, and by the off chance was good at sports, and on top of that...they knew 15 years later my parents would be able to pay for me to go there!

I didn't know they sent out mailers to junior colleges in TX, but I have a lot of growing up to do.

Posted by caesar:

I talked to a Class AA public school coach and a D-1A private school coach today and both support the proposal because it has two parts! What the private school coach told me was that if the vote to bring about a total split fails, then they smaller schools were going to make a proposal to bring all of the schools back together and add a multiplier of 1.5 non-financial aid schools and 2 for the financial aid schools. :D

Caesar...What are the specific reasons being cited by the 1A coaches to justify a change?

Thanks VG