1A Public Schools Will File A petition for a Split

southernpride

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by caesar:

?It's official... I heard today from a friend that some of the 1A Public Schools will formally request that the TSSAA consider a split between public and private schools in 2005. The request will be presented at the next board of control meeting.

Which is a silly place to present it, since that decision will not be made by the Board of Control--it is in the hands of the Legislative Council.

Posted by RealGoEagles:

A.J. was there in 7th grade, Antoine in 6th, erik started in 9th grade. He chose Ezell instead of Father Ryan. (His 8th grade year, Ezell was 3-7, Father Ryan was 13-0 and ranked in the top 25 nationally).

Actuall Father Ryan was 12-0 and I dont remember them being ranked in the top 25. But they were ranked somewhere in the South Region.

Father Ryan's recent graduates( Billy May etc.) were in 8th grade when FR won State in Football. But, yet....

I dont know what the point I am trying to make here.

I guess I am trying to say that the seniors on the 2001 team were somehow influenced to got to Ryan? I dont know. :confused:

Posted by JaxMan:

Gibson County has Gibson County...They COunty school and Milan and Humboldt...Special School districts...Kids from say Medina can go to Gibson COunty for free or pay a fee to attend Milan or Humboldt...which they are not zoned for. Milan and Humboldt both have strong football traditions and students playing who pay this fee. Why are they not included in recruitting talk. Why is their not a lawsuit to exclude them?

Yet another example that the whiners are hypocrites! If it`s a public school that can attract kids from a larger area, then it`s ok. But if its a private school then it is unfair. Like I`ve said before, this whole thing has nothing to do with fairness. It`s a bunch of whining bigoted hypocrites who just want to take their ball and go home to mommy.

Guys, this is not the way it is at some of the schools. Not all of the private schools have the toughest entrance requirements in the world, and they have paid the way for athletes. I know for a fact this is true in both the Nashville and Chattanooga areas. I would think it would be true in Memphis as well.

Private schools have been known to slant "some" of the financial aid scholarships toward athletes. And some schools offer these scholarships to athletes who don't need the financial aid.

Posted by rollredroll:
Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

Even if they did go get Johnny Footballer...he would still have to make the grades and shell out 6,000 a year to go there...they aren't a dime a dozen you know.

Exactly (and in some cases as much as twice that amount).

[Edited by rollredroll on 9-19-02 10:27A]

What facts do you know? Which Nashville private schools have offered "athletic scholarships" not based on need? If it's true, lets call out the hypocrites. If not, or if you are not really sure after all, don't slander some good people and good schools.

Posted by StanTrott:

Guys, this is not the way it is at some of the schools. Not all of the private schools have the toughest entrance requirements in the world, and they have paid the way for athletes. I know for a fact this is true in both the Nashville and Chattanooga areas. I would think it would be true in Memphis as well.

Private schools have been known to slant "some" of the financial aid scholarships toward athletes. And some schools offer these scholarships to athletes who don't need the financial aid.

Posted by rollredroll:
Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

Even if they did go get Johnny Footballer...he would still have to make the grades and shell out 6,000 a year to go there...they aren't a dime a dozen you know.

Exactly (and in some cases as much as twice that amount).

[Edited by rollredroll on 9-19-02 10:27A]

If this passes a vote in the legislative council and is approved by the TSSAA, at least then we will have privates playing privates in the playoffs and publics playing publics in the playoffs. That will solve many of the problems we presently have in the State of Tennessee. If public schools want to schedule private schools for non-region games they will still be able to do so; however, the playoffs will be separate. This just sound fair to me!

At least be honest...You don't care about fair, just about getting rid of schools you can't beat. SInce when is it fair to penalize a team for hard work and good coaching. Hiding behind bogus claims of recruiting only makes you feel justified. The large majority of private schools in Tennessee are taking home town boys and winning. Sure there are a few extreme cases you can point too. I will agree if a team provides scholarships move them to Division 2. But when a team takes local guys who are paying their own way and win, moving them is not fair, it just sounds better than saying I want to take my marbles and go home because I can't win.

Why does teams like Milan win every year. Are they recruiting, do they have an unfair advantage? They win because they have good coaches who have committed their programs to excellence. COuld it be that Private schools who win have done the same thing? Many private schools get beat every week. Elliston Baptist lost in week one to Greenfield 70 to 0. Being private is not an advantage that guarentees a win. Hard work makes winners at Public and Private schools.

[Edited by JaxMan on 9-20-02 11:27P]

I have a question for all you crying split support folks: What do you think is going to happen to 1A if all the private schools are taken out?

Well, let's see, you'll lose around 20 private football playing schools I can think of. Then, those schools have to be replaced. So, the smaller AA schools are now A schools. So you have a larger enrollement difference than you had before between the smallest A and largest A. So, is that your fair playing field? Second, I want all you young, tuff, split wanting guys to meet Cling Satterfield. He'll whip you all over the field on friday nights. Trousdale is at the bottom of AA (enrollment wise) and would almost certainly be in A after all the privates have to be replaced. Then, without any private schools to make political statments over, Clint can drop to A and continue to beat you guys every friday from now till you figure out that you lose a lot b/c you can't coach and not b/c privates have a "unfair" advantage.

Oh yea, meet Tyner Academy, they'll be thumping you to. Of course, they are a magnet school, and by your stupid reasoning, they should be in with privates. But, split supporters are hypocrites, so we know that magnet schools will stay in DI.

Meet Alcoa High school. they'll romp in 1A also.

You see. If you take 20 + schools out of 1A, you have to adjust the numbers to ballance the divisions. You split lovers have fun with the new guys. I am sure you'll cry yourselves a river of pity until you all get a nice trophy in the end even though you're under 500 and couldn't beat my little sisters sorority flag football team.