Austin-East at GP

Lets wait til the playoffs and see what happens there, my guess is the Falcons, AE, or GP doesn't want to see Alcoa in a parking lot! :hungry:

Well oh well, more and more Alcoa people are making their way thinking they have their 6th title wrapped up... I recall a couple years ago AE had one of the best basketball teams in the state and they faced Alcoa in region tournament for a chance to go to state and ALCOA upsetted them. I have that gutsy feeling if/when AE and ALcoa match up on the field there will be a similar situation taking place but with a different outcome. Let's GO AE!!

I remember that game Feb 2002. I also remember the districts that year when Alcoa won the game against AE and the ref decided to make a bad call at the end of regulation inside the three point line and put it into overtime....that was motivation for Alcoa the next time. AE would not win again that year against Alcoa. The lesson here is the last game is not near as important as the next game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a betting person but I would love to lay some on the line with you & turtle. Maybe a coke & hot dog during basketball season. Sure bet you would lose. The field wasn't watered down other than mother nature. With the rain we've had here nobody needs to. You lost all credibility when you said there was no standing water on the practice field. You must be blind. That is the old baseball field. Why do you think we built a new one. Pure and simple. Drainage problem! Worse than Football Field. Game over. Argument over. Move on.

Just be careful what you wish for though you just might get it. And I don't think you want any part of Alcoa.

Everbody is scared of Alcoa. I look forward to playing Alcoa because Austin-East is about winning state championships (not district or region championships), and you're going to have to beat Alcoa to win one. So I can't wait to play Alcoa, and if we get to beat GP (for a second time) on the way, then that will be okay too. I think they wet the field, you disagree... facts are the field was a muddy, sloppy mess, and Austin-East beat GP. If you want a rematch, just keep winning because that's what we plan to do.

I've rated A-E highly all year, although I was surprised that the GP game was close, wet field or not. I like your spirit, but you guys just may run into a game or two that you need to worry about before you get your shot at Alcoa.

The field was more than just wet. It's hard to understand unless you saw the game in person. By the second half, the commentator could not identify any of the players. The only way to determine what team each player was on was to look at the crown of the helmets... that's the only thing that was not covered in mud. Everybody had mud on them... players that didn't play, coaches, water girls, ball boys. There wasn't a person that was on the field that didn't have mud on them. Players that played had mud caked on their uniforms... it was a big mess... worse than I've ever seen.

If you're referring to CAK, I look forward to possibly playing them too... but I don't think that Austin-East, CAK, and Alcoa will be in the same quadrant. So, Austin-East or CAK will have to beat Alcoa to get an Austin-East vs CAK match-up. If you're not referring to CAK... whoever we play we expect to win. It's not that I don't think there will be good competition before Alcoa. I just don't expect Austin-East or Alcoa to lose until they play each other.

Really I was referring to several teams. Elizabethton, GP, CAK, Loudon, McMinn Central, Polk, Bledsoe, maybe others. I'm not saying that Austin East couldn't beat all of those teams. Those 2 close losses to a 5A and 6A teams really impressed me, but the overall body of work is not dominant like Alcoa's. AE has barely lost a few and had close victories in others. You guys have a very good team, I'm just not sure I could put you matching up with any of those other teams as an easy, guaranteed W. I could be totally wrong, but I could see AE coming out and beating one of those teams I mentioned, or getting beat. JMO, but I can see how Alcoa kind of assumes they will advance, but I don't think Eliz, GP, CAK, Loudon, McMinn, Polk, or AE can assume anything. If AE, Alcoa, CAK, Polk, McMinn, Loudon all end up in quad 2 it will be a shame IMO.

Really I was referring to several teams. Elizabethton, GP, CAK, Loudon, McMinn Central, Polk, Bledsoe, maybe others. I'm not saying that Austin East couldn't beat all of those teams. Those 2 close losses to a 5A and 6A teams really impressed me, but the overall body of work is not dominant like Alcoa's. AE has barely lost a few and had close victories in others. You guys have a very good team, I'm just not sure I could put you matching up with any of those other teams as an easy, guaranteed W. I could be totally wrong, but I could see AE coming out and beating one of those teams I mentioned, or getting beat. JMO, but I can see how Alcoa kind of assumes they will advance, but I don't think Eliz, GP, CAK, Loudon, McMinn, Polk, or AE can assume anything. If AE, Alcoa, CAK, Polk, McMinn, Loudon all end up in quad 2 it will be a shame IMO.

I understand your point of view because when you look at scores, Austin-East hasn't been dominant. The thing that gives me confidence is that Austin-East has continued to improve throughout the season as far as learning how to be a championship program. Championship programs are not inconsistent... they dominate every week. You have to be ready to play because you're always foing to get your opponents best game. Austin-East is not there yet, but I think they are learning what it takes to get there... and you would have to be around to program to come to that conclusion. The coaching staff is learning to work together better. The players are learning that they have to put in work every week (Monday through Thursday) regardless of the opponent. The scary thing about Austin-East is that their passing game, and their offense in general has improved. The improvement in their passing game hasn't shown in the stats because games have been wet and muddy lately, but they are executing the passing game a lot better than they did early in the year.

I think Austin-East is peaking at the right time. I could be wrong... I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

I understand your point of view because when you look at scores, Austin-East hasn't been dominant. The thing that gives me confidence is that Austin-East has continued to improve throughout the season as far as learning how to be a championship program. Championship programs are not inconsistent... they dominate every week. You have to be ready to play because you're always foing to get your opponents best game. Austin-East is not there yet, but I think they are learning what it takes to get there... and you would have to be around to program to come to that conclusion. The coaching staff is learning to work together better. The players are learning that they have to put in work every week (Monday through Thursday) regardless of the opponent. The scary thing about Austin-East is that their passing game, and their offense in general has improved. The improvement in their passing game hasn't shown in the stats because games have been wet and muddy lately, but they are executing the passing game a lot better than they did early in the year.

I think Austin-East is peaking at the right time. I could be wrong... I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck to AE in the playoffs. It will be alot of fun seeing how the matchups turn out! I just wish there were some Thursday games like there has been in the regular season. It's a shame that we can't see some of the other games without our team losing first! :thumb:

Good luck to AE in the playoffs. It will be alot of fun seeing how the matchups turn out! I just wish there were some Thursday games like there has been in the regular season. It's a shame that we can't see some of the other games without our team losing first! :thumb:

I agree... but if my team wins five in a row, it couldn't care less :D

Everbody is scared of Alcoa. I look forward to playing Alcoa because Austin-East is about winning state championships (not district or region championships), and you're going to have to beat Alcoa to win one. So I can't wait to play Alcoa, and if we get to beat GP (for a second time) on the way, then that will be okay too. I think they wet the field, you disagree... facts are the field was a muddy, sloppy mess, and Austin-East beat GP. If you want a rematch, just keep winning because that's what we plan to do.

I've rated A-E highly all year, although I was surprised that the GP game was close, wet field or not. I like your spirit, but you guys just may run into a game or two that you need to worry about before you get your shot at Alcoa.

The field was more than just wet. It's hard to understand unless you saw the game in person. By the second half, the commentator could not identify any of the players. The only way to determine what team each player was on was to look at the crown of the helmets... that's the only thing that was not covered in mud. Everybody had mud on them... players that didn't play, coaches, water girls, ball boys. There wasn't a person that was on the field that didn't have mud on them. Players that played had mud caked on their uniforms... it was a big mess... worse than I've ever seen.

If you're referring to CAK, I look forward to possibly playing them too... but I don't think that Austin-East, CAK, and Alcoa will be in the same quadrant. So, Austin-East or CAK will have to beat Alcoa to get an Austin-East vs CAK match-up. If you're not referring to CAK... whoever we play we expect to win. It's not that I don't think there will be good competition before Alcoa. I just don't expect Austin-East or Alcoa to lose until they play each other.

More than just wet? Why don't you quit whining about the field. Your wrong about coaches wetting field. Just face it and move on. AE has more to worry about than a wet field or refs blowing a call at the end of the game. Bottom line GP almost beat AE because AE didn't make adjustments. Didn't adjust well to GP defense and certainly didn't adjust on GP TD drive. GP ran the same play every down all the way down the field out of an unbalanced line and AE never adjusted. They need to fix those things before they ever worry about Alcoa.

More than just wet? Why don't you quit whining about the field. Your wrong about coaches wetting field. Just face it and move on. AE has more to worry about than a wet field or refs blowing a call at the end of the game. Bottom line GP almost beat AE because AE didn't make adjustments. Didn't adjust well to GP defense and certainly didn't adjust on GP TD drive. GP ran the same play every down all the way down the field out of an unbalanced line and AE never adjusted. They need to fix those things before they ever worry about Alcoa.

Who said anything about a blown call? I still think GP wet the field. I'm not whinning... we won the game.

You're right, we didn't adjust to the unbalanced line. The coaches were calling it out, they even called a timeout to tell the players to adjust. I don't know why they didn't adjust, but even with that mistake we still won.

Who said anything about a blown call? I still think GP wet the field. I'm not whinning... we won the game.

You're right, we didn't adjust to the unbalanced line. The coaches were calling it out, they even called a timeout to tell the players to adjust. I don't know why they didn't adjust, but even with that mistake we still won.

In spite of that mistake you win. How many times had GP run the same play before they called timeout? And what happens when you do the same against a team the caliber of a Alcoa who can take it to the house every one of those plays?

BTW You should have seen the field yesterday after school (even before some of the worst got here). Practice field had more standing water. Funny thing Coach Hammonds said today he wished he had a giant blow dryer to dry field out.

In spite of that mistake you win. How many times had GP run the same play before they called timeout? And what happens when you do the same against a team the caliber of a Alcoa who can take it to the house every one of those plays?

BTW You should have seen the field yesterday after school (even before some of the worst got here). Practice field had more standing water. Funny thing Coach Hammonds said today he wished he had a giant blow dryer to dry field out.

Like I said in my last post, the coaches were calling it out to the players. The players did not respond, so the coaches called timeout. The players still did not respond. The only explanation that I have is that they are a bunch of teenagers... I have no clue why they didn't adjust.

I'm not worried about our defense. They have played well all year. Offense and special teams have not always put them in a good position, but they have responded well all season.

Like I said in my last post, the coaches were calling it out to the players. The players did not respond, so the coaches called timeout. The players still did not respond. The only explanation that I have is that they are a bunch of teenagers... I have no clue why they didn't adjust.

I'm not worried about our defense. They have played well all year. Offense and special teams have not always put them in a good position, but they have responded well all season.

You still didn't answer my question. What happens when the same thing happens against a team like Alcoa? How many plays did they run before they called time anyway? What adjustment did they make for GP defense? You evidently don't think this is important. But when a team matches up athlete for athlete what will happen (and Alcoa will) with mistakes like this? Alcoa beat GP because of 2 big plays. Teams like Alcoa can take away those big plays. What now?