Austin-East at GP

You are correct ColumbiaBlue .. GP doesnt want to play AE or Fulton on a dry field ... i told you that GP would probably still have the sprinklers on for AE ... I saw replays of games on news and NONE I saw had the mud covered players uniforms like the AE / GP game did ... I wouls almost guarantee they (GP) watered the field in addition to the rain ..... AE wins by 2 or 3 TD's if they dont wet field ... and Fulton beats them the same on a dry night ...

First and foremost I am NOT a GP fan, but I can tell you that their field has been a mess since the second week of the season and it just gets worse with all the rain. Coach Hammonds and the Highlanders have a very good team this year, and if I'm not mistaken the Fulton game was AT Fulton! Lets wait til the playoffs and see what happens there, my guess is the Falcons, AE, or GP doesn't want to see Alcoa in a parking lot! :thumb:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost I am NOT a GP fan, but I can tell you that their field has been a mess since the second week of the season and it just gets worse with all the rain. Coach Hammonds and the Highlanders have a very good team this year, and if I'm not mistaken the Fulton game was AT Fulton! Lets wait til the playoffs and see what happens there, my guess is the Falcons, AE, or GP doesn't want to see Alcoa in a parking lot! :thumb:

I saw Alcoa last night, and I can't wait for my Roadrunners to see them on the field. It will be a great game.

The GP field was not a mess until the game started. Before the game, they had grass on the field, but the entire field had about 1-3 inches of standing water. There were puddles all around the field... you could not get onto the field without walking through big puddles of water. Their practice field was wet, but it didn't have standing water... and their were no puddles of water anywhere else other than around the field. GP watered down the field... probably late at night so nobody would see it.

If we end up in the east quad and have to play GP again, then it will be in Knoxville. Even if it does rain, the conditions won't be as bad as they were at GP.

I saw Alcoa last night, and I can't wait for my Roadrunners to see them on the field. It will be a great game.

The GP field was not a mess until the game started. Before the game, they had grass on the field, but the entire field had about 1-3 inches of standing water. There were puddles all around the field... you could not get onto the field without walking through big puddles of water. Their practice field was wet, but it didn't have standing water... and their were no puddles of water anywhere else other than around the field. GP watered down the field... probably late at night so nobody would see it.

If we end up in the east quad and have to play GP again, then it will be in Knoxville. Even if it does rain, the conditions won't be as bad as they were at GP.

Whatever you have to tell yourself, bottom line is the game is over, and no matter what happens from here on out, it will be Alcoa representing the east in Cookeville, and there is not a whole lot that anybody can do about it! :thumb:

Whatever you have to tell yourself, bottom line is the game is over, and no matter what happens from here on out, it will be Alcoa representing the east in Cookeville, and there is not a whole lot that anybody can do about it! :thumb:

I'm not predicting that Alcoa won't win number 6 in a row, but they won't roll to the championship (beating everybody by 14pts or more) like they have in previous years. Austin-East is going to give them a game.

Lets wait til the playoffs and see what happens there, my guess is the Falcons, AE, or GP doesn't want to see Alcoa in a parking lot! :thumb:

Well oh well, more and more Alcoa people are making their way thinking they have their 6th title wrapped up... I recall a couple years ago AE had one of the best basketball teams in the state and they faced Alcoa in region tournament for a chance to go to state and ALCOA upsetted them. I have that gutsy feeling if/when AE and ALcoa match up on the field there will be a similar situation taking place but with a different outcome. Let's GO AE!!

I keep hearing and reading about the sprinklers being on at GP against AE. For one there are no sprinklers at GP. The problem is that about 6 to 8 feet below the playing surface solid clay exists. The field can only take so much water before it has nowhere to go. The clay is completely non pourous. It fills up like a swimming pool. You can verify this by the stinch of the mud. It is soured water that has been accumulating with every rain. Obviously with a team as quick as AE the mud didn't hurt GP's chances but it wasn't by choice they played in that slop.

I keep hearing and reading about the sprinklers being on at GP against AE. For one there are no sprinklers at GP. The problem is that about 6 to 8 feet below the playing surface solid clay exists. The field can only take so much water before it has nowhere to go. The clay is completely non pourous. It fills up like a swimming pool. You can verify this by the stinch of the mud. It is soured water that has been accumulating with every rain. Obviously with a team as quick as AE the mud didn't hurt GP's chances but it wasn't by choice they played in that slop.

I tried to tell them the same thing, only i didn't know about the clay bed, that explains why that field has been terrible since week 2!

That explains the smell, but why weren't there puddles of water on the practice field, which is adjacent to the game field. The practice field was wet, but not as bad as the game field.

First and foremost I am NOT a GP fan, but I can tell you that their field has been a mess since the second week of the season and it just gets worse with all the rain. Coach Hammonds and the Highlanders have a very good team this year, and if I'm not mistaken the Fulton game was AT Fulton! Lets wait til the playoffs and see what happens there, my guess is the Falcons, AE, or GP doesn't want to see Alcoa in a parking lot! :roflol:

I'm not a betting person but I would love to lay some on the line with you & turtle. Maybe a coke & hot dog during basketball season. Sure bet you would lose. The field wasn't watered down other than mother nature. With the rain we've had here nobody needs to. You lost all credibility when you said there was no standing water on the practice field. You must be blind. That is the old baseball field. Why do you think we built a new one. Pure and simple. Drainage problem! Worse than Football Field. Game over. Argument over. Move on.

Just be careful what you wish for though you just might get it. And I don't think you want any part of Alcoa.

I'm not a betting person but I would love to lay some on the line with you & turtle. Maybe a coke & hot dog during basketball season. Sure bet you would lose. The field wasn't watered down other than mother nature. With the rain we've had here nobody needs to. You lost all credibility when you said there was no standing water on the practice field. You must be blind. That is the old baseball field. Why do you think we built a new one. Pure and simple. Drainage problem! Worse than Football Field. Game over. Argument over. Move on.

Just be careful what you wish for though you just might get it. And I don't think you want any part of Alcoa.

Everbody is scared of Alcoa. I look forward to playing Alcoa because Austin-East is about winning state championships (not district or region championships), and you're going to have to beat Alcoa to win one. So I can't wait to play Alcoa, and if we get to beat GP (for a second time) on the way, then that will be okay too. I think they wet the field, you disagree... facts are the field was a muddy, sloppy mess, and Austin-East beat GP. If you want a rematch, just keep winning because that's what we plan to do.

Everbody is scared of Alcoa. I look forward to playing Alcoa because Austin-East is about winning state championships (not district or region championships), and you're going to have to beat Alcoa to win one. So I can't wait to play Alcoa, and if we get to beat GP (for a second time) on the way, then that will be okay too. I think they wet the field, you disagree... facts are the field was a muddy, sloppy mess, and Austin-East beat GP. If you want a rematch, just keep winning because that's what we plan to do.

I've rated A-E highly all year, although I was surprised that the GP game was close, wet field or not. I like your spirit, but you guys just may run into a game or two that you need to worry about before you get your shot at Alcoa.