Austin-East at GP

You still didn't answer my question. What happens when the same thing happens against a team like Alcoa? How many plays did they run before they called time anyway? What adjustment did they make for GP defense? You evidently don't think this is important. But when a team matches up athlete for athlete what will happen (and Alcoa will) with mistakes like this? Alcoa beat GP because of 2 big plays. Teams like Alcoa can take away those big plays. What now?

Alcoa runs a conventional offense. Austin-East players play well against conventional offenses. The defense will make necessary adjustments against Alcoa. The defense has made appropriate adjustments the majority of the season. I don't know why the players did not adjust against GP. To answer your question... I think Austin-East will make the appropriate adjustments.

Offenses don't typically adjust to defenses. Certain plays don't work against all defenses, but core plays are designed to work against most defenses if you go by your blocking rules. Having said that, GP's defense was tough because the best adjustment to 8-9 in the box is to throw the ball or to spread the defense and run. In those conditions, it was tough to throw the ball... and I'm sure even if we did spread GP out, they would've kept 8-9 in the box until we proved that we couldn't throw to the uncovered WRs.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still didn't answer my question. What happens when the same thing happens against a team like Alcoa? How many plays did they run before they called time anyway? What adjustment did they make for GP defense? You evidently don't think this is important. But when a team matches up athlete for athlete what will happen (and Alcoa will) with mistakes like this? Alcoa beat GP because of 2 big plays. Teams like Alcoa can take away those big plays. What now?

Alcoa runs a conventional offense. Austin-East players play well against conventional offenses. The defense will make necessary adjustments against Alcoa. The defense has made appropriate adjustments the majority of the season. I don't know why the players did not adjust against GP. To answer your question... I think Austin-East will make the appropriate adjustments.

Offenses don't typically adjust to defenses. Certain plays don't work against all defenses, but core plays are designed to work against most defenses if you go by your blocking rules. Having said that, GP's defense was tough because the best adjustment to 8-9 in the box is to throw the ball or to spread the defense and run. In those conditions, it was tough to throw the ball... and I'm sure even if we did spread GP out, they would've kept 8-9 in the box until we proved that we couldn't throw to the uncovered WRs.

"Offenses don't typically adjust to defenses." Have you ever watched a football game before? Correct me if I wrong but AE hasn't thrown the ball well, wet or dry.

"Offenses don't typically adjust to defenses." Have you ever watched a football game before? Correct me if I wrong but AE hasn't thrown the ball well, wet or dry.

Don't take my quote out of context. Good high school teams don't run a lot of plays. They have a core set of plays that they run against all defenses. Their are some plays that work better against certain defenses and some plays that don't work against certain defenses. Offenses don't make a lot of adjustments in the sense of changing schemes or how a play is run. Blocking assignments adjust with different defenses because there are blocking rules. If a lineman is covered, more than likely he is going to block on. If a lineman is uncovererd, he may combo block and/or go to the next level. With blocking rules, adjustments are built into the play. In the passing game, routes may adjust slightly based on coverages and/or leverage of the DBs, but most of those adjustments are build in also... that's why it's important for QBs and WRs to be on the same page.

Sometimes it is necessary for coaches to make gametime adjustments on offense, but most of the time it's a matter of players not executing or running a play that's not going to work against a particular defense.

Austin-East hasn't thrown the ball well most of the year. From week 6 to week 8, Austin-East didn't attempt to throw the ball due to the weather. Week 9 we threw the ball well... it was against PF, but our passing game has improved.

Don't take my quote out of context. Good high school teams don't run a lot of plays. They have a core set of plays that they run against all defenses. Their are some plays that work better against certain defenses and some plays that don't work against certain defenses. Offenses don't make a lot of adjustments in the sense of changing schemes or how a play is run. Blocking assignments adjust with different defenses because there are blocking rules. If a lineman is covered, more than likely he is going to block on. If a lineman is uncovererd, he may combo block and/or go to the next level. With blocking rules, adjustments are built into the play. In the passing game, routes may adjust slightly based on coverages and/or leverage of the DBs, but most of those adjustments are build in also... that's why it's important for QBs and WRs to be on the same page.

Sometimes it is necessary for coaches to make gametime adjustments on offense, but most of the time it's a matter of players not executing or running a play that's not going to work against a particular defense.

Austin-East hasn't thrown the ball well most of the year. From week 6 to week 8, Austin-East didn't attempt to throw the ball due to the weather. Week 9 we threw the ball well... it was against PF, but our passing game has improved.

Nothing was taken out of context. Read your own post. Good offensive coaches always know the weakness of a defense. The day has long past that you could line up against another team and said my 11 are better than your 11 and I'm gonna do what we do and beat you. BTW Defensive coordinators can tell you the weaknesses quickly of their defenses.

According to the prepxtra stats AE is 39/85 for 461 yds passing on the year with 11 ints (1 out of every 8 att). Less than 50%. Prior to the PF game they were 25/66 for 298 yds with 11 ints (1 out of every 6 att). 38% completion percentage. Sure they were 14/19 for 163 yds against PF (It is what it is). Certainly less than stellar passing game. My point. Alcoa will shut down a one dimensional offense. Then what does a team do. The other thing is AE had 13 penaltys against PF for 115 yds. To beat Alcoa you must be disciplined in every aspect of the game. Offense, defense, special teams, penaltys, play execution, and play calling (yes play calling - its not always teenagers fault for not executing).

PS would love to show you pic of helicoptor drying field but can't seem to be able to post. Maybe during basketball season and you can get me that coke and hot dog.

Good offensive coaches always know the weakness of a defense.

I agree, I never said they didn't. I said that certain plays are designed to work against most defenses.

The day has long past that you could line up against another team and said my 11 are better than your 11 and I'm gonna do what we do and beat you.

I disagree. On the high school level, this still occurs (college and professional is different). Alcoa and Maryville run the same 5-10 plays a game. There may be some other plays that they run once or twice a game and some plays that they don't run in certain games, but good high school offenses have a core set of plays that they run and practice over and over and over again. If you're able to shut down those core set of plays, you force a team to do what they are not accustomed to doing. That means they are usually doing something they are not as good at executing.

BTW Defensive coordinators can tell you the weaknesses quickly of their defenses.

I agree. If they can't, they're not very good coaches.

My point. Alcoa will shut down a one dimensional offense. Then what does a team do.

I do not believe that Austin-East is one-dimensional anymore. Most of those stats came from our sophomore QB, who is more of a runner than passer. The senior QB, who is more of a passer, missed three games in the middle of the season. He threw the ball okay early in the season, but both QBs are throwing the ball better now. We'll just have to wait and see if the offense can continue to execute the passing game.

The other thing is AE had 13 penaltys against PF for 115 yds.

Some were legit and some were bad calls. It is suspicious when the referee reaches for the flag only after the RB has broken free for the score. There were at least two TDs that were called back in this fashion. Even if you only count the legitimate penalties, this is something Austin-East needs to improve upon.

To beat Alcoa you must be disciplined in every aspect of the game. Offense, defense, special teams, penaltys, play execution, and play calling (yes play calling - its not always teenagers fault for not executing).

I agree. To beat any good team, it is necessary to be good in all aspects of the game. You're right, it is not always players not executing... sometimes it is... most of the time it's not.

What you actually said was "offenses don't normally adjust to defenses". You gave one example of which is not a good team to use. Alcoa has the athletes to line up and beat people. Maryville you might want to watch again (although they do have some good athletes). They win by certainly doing more than running 5 or 10 plays well. Coach Quarles usually has 5 or 6 trick plays ready to use at any time. Enough said though. May point: is AE as ready to face an Alcoa caliber team as you think? They have several things to consider: 1900 yds rushing to about 450 passing (about a 4:1 ratio anything but balanced), 27 penaltys on the year to opponents 5 (I forgot bad calls), and what do they do when forced to punt because they could not flip-flop the field on GP.

Guess I have to buy my own coke and hot dog at roundball game.

Guess I was a little premature with TSSAA screw up. You'll have to wait a little longer for Alcoa wish. But you might get your wish with GP on your field. Understand your field was in terrible shape against PF. Any better now.

One half of our field was in pretty bad shape, but it was nothing like GP's field. After seeing GP's field, I have a different outlook on field conditions.

I'll have to agree with Charger81 on this one.. I'm a big AE fan and I've stated this at the beginning of the season that AE weakness is their passing game.. However, like ColumbiaBlueandScarletRed allude to, AE's passing game is on the rise. I've seen Alcoa play this year and they are soundly minded on defense and do force teams into their weakness. But I think AE will give Alcoa a run for their money.. Its called speed vs speed. Futhermore, Alcoa's offense is also one dimensional.. Take away Alcoa's running attack what type of stats would Alcoa be putting up then? THings that make you go Hmmmmmmmm

I've seen Alcoa play this year and they are soundly minded on defense and do force teams into their weakness. But I think AE will give Alcoa a run for their money.. Its called speed vs speed. Futhermore, Alcoa's offense is also one dimensional.. Take away Alcoa's running attack what type of stats would Alcoa be putting up then? THings that make you go Hmmmmmmmm

omghaha-1.gif

AE's season is finally on Death Watch....The clock is ticking shelled one.

Tick-Tock.