Daniel Boone at Tennessee High ... SHOWDOWN IN THE CASTLE

v_i_k_i_n_g

Thanks CAP....I'll pick it up on the way in... just in case I ...uh...er....need to give it to someone one of these days. You never know when you might have to splash the sauce to the ole black bird.

Should be a great game in a great atmosphere.

Is it best to pluck or boil the feathers off??? Just wonderin' in case someone should ask :angry:

NOTE: I saw a large flock of the ole' Rook bird perched just off the interstate this morning....couldn't tell which way they were headed. Probably waitin' on Comp's long black train.....

Personally I’ve never had the choice. With me… when I DO have to pull up to the table… the Crow comes heavy and fast as you might imagine!! :(:(;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blazer dude...I love you...I mean you, we,...we cousins...but I gots to say that when you coming up in a big game like this trepidation is not your finest adjective. Yall got doubt in your mind. If you won't to call that realisim then watch out cause the Vikings will take that realisim and shove it real hard up the torpedoe shoot. You need to be on bro'. Beliee' in you folk. Raise the bar. Build a far. Git them boys hot. Cause when you got the hammer...then hammer down. And the Vikings got the hammer. You need a ball and chain...you know the kind with spikes in it. And you gonna' have to come out swinging it. You got to believe. If you believe then hopefully your team will believe. You got to be there at practice and tell em' that you got they back. They need to know you there. It is the most important part. That's why they throw their hands up when they need you during a game wanting you to get up and scream. if there were no fans...then there would be no team. so understand how important you and yours are and go let them know you there. It means everything. Trust me. You wanna win? Put Boobie in. 'Cause Boobie's 'bout to spin. C'mon Coach, put Boobie in, let me spin...I'll spin you a win Coach.

“You wanna win…put Boobie in”. Love that quote. ;) That’s has to be one of my favorite all time movies in the world! :( Comp… you have got to be my brother from another mother. The way you read my mind it’s almost twin like. What did you say your Daddy’s name was??? :angry:

I know our Team is not sitting around with the "poor old county boy" mentality. I seen their faces after the loss to South. Each and everyone had the look of anger. They had South beat and lost by one play. They vowed in the locker room to not lose another game. So far they are holding each other to that oath. Might I being eating a piece of that crow, maybe, but my Confidence says Boone wins. If I'm wrong I'll pull up a chair and take my share, but I'll be thinking about the next game.

Let me just first say that having a “LOOSER” mentality doesn’t make you a better person… and it’s not going to get you very far in THIS world.

Second of all… I/WE expect our team to perform well each and EVERY year. Losing games is not what WE do. We try to do everything with excellence and mistake free. You get hurt… if it’s not broke or bleeding to bad… brush it off and get back in the game. We are proud of our kids’/players’, and coaches accomplishments and achievements, and aren’t afraid to let YOU know. We support our team in the good and the bad times. When the mountains are steep and high, we get behind them and push/encourage them… and when it’s a down hill slope, we take that ride with them. We win ,we loose, TOGETHER. All of this is called TRADITION… and WE…. are Tennessee High Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bored: Sorry… I got caught up in one of those famous “Compasatman style” rants and couldn’t let it go. :blush: Now you may find that arrogant and boastful… but I call it CONFIDENCE!!! And confidence is definitely needed to succeed in ANYTHING much less high school football. If you don’t believe in you and yours… who else will?

Anyway… what I meant to say is that we set the bar HIGH for our players on the field and in the classroom… and dare them to reach out and grab it. Basically we try to set a standard for them to succeed not only in school but in life. If you guys keep preaching this city slicker vs country bumpkin crap then your kids will grow up with that same chip on their shoulders that you so unknowingly display. It sounds to me that you are more out to prove that you (meaning the Trailblazers) are just as good as we (THS) are, and you deserve to be on the same field… when you should be out to prove that you are the better team and are there to claim your trophy. Cause that’s how I look at it each and every game unless I without a shadow of a doubt know we are going to be dragged behind the pickup. To this day I’ve NEVER bowed down like that... although I have seen the back of that truck a time or two down there around the Kingsport Colonial Heights area. dry.gif Telling your team that they are the “poor little UNDERDOG county boys from Gray, and if they try real hard to have a perfect game they might be able to stay on the field with the BIG BAD (Paper Champion) Vikings”…. and “if you should loose its ok, because we are just Boone and we weren’t suppose to win anyway”. That may work for you, but I tend to want to simply tell our boys that “you are a better team than they are… now go out and prove it”!!!!!!!!!!! :bored: You see…. looser mentality… winning mentality. :thumb:

First off....it is loser...looser is what you hear at a strip club.

Secondly, different places, different ways of looking at things. You are city boys, we are country boys. Gray is finally getting to a place where you can really put together good programs and such. Distance is a huge thing in the county, seeing as how it isn't just Gray boys on the team. You have kids all the way out from Fall Branch (next to Kingsport if you know the right roads) to near the Crockett border in Jonesborough, then you got kids next to JC out at Boones Creek. Not a huge supply of kids taken from here and there. The Gray part is getting more centralized with Ridgeview and Gray being close to each other. The football programs before high school have finally built up where there are 10 times more kids playing football in Washington County than there was when I was growing up. To put things in perspective...we are finally playing catch up with programs that are well in place in Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol. That mentality that you call a loser is a mentality that we use to get by and get that extra edge. We worry about winning and losing, but we care more about the impact we left when the game is over. Coach Jenkins said it after the DB game... we've come out and showed we have character, now it is time to start winning.

You'd have to live in the place to understand what it's all about. Comp gives the argument that he's talked to Coach Jenkins and the comment has been made that he knows Gray is just about to hit stride where you have those years where player after player wanting to step up to Boone.

If you look at Crockett...they are kind of in a situation that we used to be in. They are having a great year, especially when they were picked to be in the cellar. They should be a 6-2 team but again...2 plays beat them and they may very well will be sitting at home in two weeks. Good coaching and a fwe standout players helped them this year...but I don't think they will have that coming up in the next few years.

So you want to talk smack, well let's go at it this way. We beat DB, you beat DB, we beat SH, you beat SH....and it seems that Boone shut them out while you let them score. Tell me...if the ball game goes into 4 quarters are your kids in good enough condition to play. Do your starters even know how to play in a 3rd and 4th quarter? No one has taken it to you so sure, let's go ahead and say it, Boone is going to give you more than you can handle and slow the game down to where you are...gasp...uncomfortable in your cold seat my friend. You'll walk in...you'll be confident...and then I will tell ya that Boone will do something to make you sit and be quiet...as you look over your shoulder and glance at the crow you are afraid you might just be eating Saturday morning.

So you want to talk smack, well let's go at it this way. We beat DB, you beat DB, we beat SH, you beat SH....and it seems that Boone shut them out while you let them score. Tell me...if the ball game goes into 4 quarters are your kids in good enough condition to play. Do your starters even know how to play in a 3rd and 4th quarter? No one has taken it to you so sure, let's go ahead and say it, Boone is going to give you more than you can handle and slow the game down to where you are...gasp...uncomfortable in your cold seat my friend. You'll walk in...you'll be confident...and then I will tell ya that Boone will do something to make you sit and be quiet...as you look over your shoulder and glance at the crow you are afraid you might just be eating Saturday morning.

Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT FormerB!!!! Let um swing big boy! :thumb: I have to go to the house right now, but I'll be back to play later. Mean while... you keep gittin your SWAG on PIMP (that's hip-hop for you keep doing your thing Boss)! :bored: Keep it up and you can come visit me in the CITY! :bored:

It's never really a good idea to compare scores. Boone shutout the Hill and Tennessee led DB 27-0 at halftime. Neither of those games matter this week. Good teams take every opponent seriously or eventually one team will sneak up and bite you. Comp likes to say that Tennessee has a habit of being overconfident, however, I would argue that the Vikings have only been "upset" once in several years...that was to Volunteer in 2007. Now, the 2007 team was very lethargic in most of their games. I don't know if you would call that overconfidence or just a lack of passion. The 2008 squad was young and had a lot of injuries so it's difficult to determine whether or not they were overconfident in their games.

Even though the DB and Science Hill games were closer scoring wise, I think any observer would say that Tennessee's most challenging opponent to date was Greeneville. Greeneville if I'm not mistaken was another team that was a few plays or a turnover away from beating South. Greeneville, in my opinion, had the toughest defense and on offense they were able to exploit Tennessee High's defense on a few occasions. I think the Daniel Boone game will be similar, although I haven't seen the Trailblazers so I'm not sure how comparable they are on either side of the ball.

The starters can play in the 3rd and 4th quarter and I can guarantee that some of the 2nd string will play in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well. I'm not saying that the Vikings will kill or even defeat Boone, it's just that the Vikings are pretty deep at the runningback positions and they rotate several players in on the lines throughout the game. It's a blessing considering Tennessee High is actually lower on overall numbers this year than they have been in ages. Does Boone have many players both ways? Will that possibly be a detriment when they play a team that will challenge them?

We played both schools and both of you won the game against us. To tell you the truth, I think this one is to close to call. It will be a battle of will and endurance, both of you would be deserving of a win IMHO. Just want to send both teams the best and pray that all the young talented men on the field stay free from injury during this contest. Hats off to both teams for being well coached and playing hard, may the best team win! Good luck to both --- you're both heading to a possible conference championship and the playoffs!

Blazer dude...I love you...I mean you, we,...we cousins...but I gots to say that when you coming up in a big game like this trepidation is not your finest adjective. Yall got doubt in your mind. If you won't to call that realisim then watch out cause the Vikings will take that realisim and shove it real hard up the torpedoe shoot. You need to be on bro'. Beliee' in you folk. Raise the bar. Build a far. Git them boys hot. Cause when you got the hammer...then hammer down. And the Vikings got the hammer. You need a ball and chain...you know the kind with spikes in it. And you gonna' have to come out swinging it. You got to believe. If you believe then hopefully your team will believe. You got to be there at practice and tell em' that you got they back. They need to know you there. It is the most important part. That's why they throw their hands up when they need you during a game wanting you to get up and scream. if there were no fans...then there would be no team. so understand how important you and yours are and go let them know you there. It means everything. Trust me. You wanna win? Put Boobie in. 'Cause Boobie's 'bout to spin. C'mon Coach, put Boobie in, let me spin...I'll spin you a win Coach.

“You wanna win…put Boobie in”. Love that quote. :bored: That’s has to be one of my favorite all time movies in the world! :roflol: Comp… you have got to be my brother from another mother. The way you read my mind it’s almost twin like. What did you say your Daddy’s name was??? :roflol:

Well judging from the way my son used the spin he must've been Boobie! My Papa was a rolling stone...where ever he laid his hat was his home... And you know the tune. Cap, we missed our calling. What a team we could coach. That would be one group of athletes. It's hard to be humble when you know how to rumble! Don't take no for an answer and never...I mean never...give up. Play to win. And when you lose...remember the one who lost for us all. This game makes men. I still get glassy eyed when I watch that movie. It says it all.

It's never really a good idea to compare scores. Boone shutout the Hill and Tennessee led DB 27-0 at halftime. Neither of those games matter this week. Good teams take every opponent seriously or eventually one team will sneak up and bite you. Comp likes to say that Tennessee has a habit of being overconfident, however, I would argue that the Vikings have only been "upset" once in several years...that was to Volunteer in 2007. Now, the 2007 team was very lethargic in most of their games. I don't know if you would call that overconfidence or just a lack of passion. The 2008 squad was young and had a lot of injuries so it's difficult to determine whether or not they were overconfident in their games.

Even though the DB and Science Hill games were closer scoring wise, I think any observer would say that Tennessee's most challenging opponent to date was Greeneville. Greeneville if I'm not mistaken was another team that was a few plays or a turnover away from beating South. Greeneville, in my opinion, had the toughest defense and on offense they were able to exploit Tennessee High's defense on a few occasions. I think the Daniel Boone game will be similar, although I haven't seen the Trailblazers so I'm not sure how comparable they are on either side of the ball.

The starters can play in the 3rd and 4th quarter and I can guarantee that some of the 2nd string will play in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well. I'm not saying that the Vikings will kill or even defeat Boone, it's just that the Vikings are pretty deep at the runningback positions and they rotate several players in on the lines throughout the game. It's a blessing considering Tennessee High is actually lower on overall numbers this year than they have been in ages. Does Boone have many players both ways? Will that possibly be a detriment when they play a team that will challenge them?

I know they have 2 QB's, a ton of recievers, and I've counted 6 guys at RB....20, 5, and 23 are ones to watch when they get going. 5 Broke 3 tackles that should have taken him down last Friday...so he is a beast and I think I've seen him get most of the scores this year. As for both ways....I think maybe 3 or 4 play both ways and 2 of those get some rest on O with rotation. I think this is the first year in a many years that not many Boone kids have had to go both ways, but it is still there. DB and South were late games, and I will make the comment that the kids were getting tired by the 4th, but since then I've seen a few position changes that seems to have taken care of that problem. SH went to the 4th quarter with all the starters, but those kids were still going strong in the 3rd and 4th just wanting to beat the Hill...I believe 2 of the better hits, including a hit of the week, took place late in the game.

That is another thing...as much as talk has been said about the 2 LB's... those ends and secondary LOVE to lay hits. First time in forever I can remember a Boone team that has a secondary that I would consider good. I think St. Clair went back and forth picking a few passes here and there, then running the ball (He played a great game and won it for South...that kid can play) but I don't really remember Boone getting beat on the deep ball this year. The defense is something else and a pleasure to see on big plays. Fumbles ran back for TD's, INT run back for TD's, lots of opportunities a D gives the O.

“You wanna win…put Boobie in”. Love that quote. :lol: That’s has to be one of my favorite all time movies in the world! :roflol: Comp… you have got to be my brother from another mother. The way you read my mind it’s almost twin like. What did you say your Daddy’s name was??? :roflol:

Well judging from the way my son used the spin he must've been Boobie! My Papa was a rolling stone...where ever he laid his hat was his home... And you know the tune. Cap, we missed our calling. What a team we could coach. That would be one group of athletes. It's hard to be humble when you know how to rumble! Don't take no for an answer and never...I mean never...give up. Play to win. And when you lose...remember the one who lost for us all. This game makes men. I still get glassy eyed when I watch that movie. It says it all.

I know the movie had some drama and stuff in it that really got a football fan going....but if you read the book you'll be shaking your head. Boobie never came back guys, tried to run the ball 3 times then never came back and was never spoken of again. He didn't get on the bus ride, he wasn't welcome any more. Go and read that book and it'll open your eyes to some of the things people do in this world. The story of the Boob is one of the saddest you'll ever hear, and I knew quite a few guys who didn't get that senior season because of an injury.

Varsity Blues still has it tho :bored:

I know they have 2 QB's, a ton of recievers, and I've counted 6 guys at RB....20, 5, and 23 are ones to watch when they get going. 5 Broke 3 tackles that should have taken him down last Friday...so he is a beast and I think I've seen him get most of the scores this year. As for both ways....I think maybe 3 or 4 play both ways and 2 of those get some rest on O with rotation. I think this is the first year in a many years that not many Boone kids have had to go both ways, but it is still there. DB and South were late games, and I will make the comment that the kids were getting tired by the 4th, but since then I've seen a few position changes that seems to have taken care of that problem. SH went to the 4th quarter with all the starters, but those kids were still going strong in the 3rd and 4th just wanting to beat the Hill...I believe 2 of the better hits, including a hit of the week, took place late in the game.

That is another thing...as much as talk has been said about the 2 LB's... those ends and secondary LOVE to lay hits. First time in forever I can remember a Boone team that has a secondary that I would consider good. I think St. Clair went back and forth picking a few passes here and there, then running the ball (He played a great game and won it for South...that kid can play) but I don't really remember Boone getting beat on the deep ball this year. The defense is something else and a pleasure to see on big plays. Fumbles ran back for TD's, INT run back for TD's, lots of opportunities a D gives the O.

I agree… there didn’t seem to be an ounce of quit in any of these boys when I saw them. Of course they were playing Volunteer…and I’ll just leave that right there. FormerB no need in down playing those LBs, we all know that they are the HEART of that team and carry a lions share of the reason your team has been so successful. By the way… I wanted to get #50 and #58 names, just in case you guys try to change their numbers. :roflol: Most of what you said is pretty much how I saw it. I think #20 is going to be more effective against THS than #5 because of his size. He’s small but he’s a hard determined runner that hits the hole hard and fast. He’ll get by you before you even see him if you’re not careful. Your secondary coach knows that he’s not blessed with blinding speed back there, so he coaches to keep everything underneath… sort of like we do. No disrespect… but our QB will eat that alive. He is actually one of the few QBs in this area that makes his reads in succession… so he will find the open man in that coverage. Also… if we are able to get a handle on those LBs of yours it’s going to be a long night for the secondary in containing the run. The reason being…. #44!!! Need I say more. :roflol: As far as “getting tired in the 4th”… I personally hope to have this one pretty much decided by halftime. If Boone is allowed to stick around till the 4th quarter we are in trouble. :roflol: